iPad Pro: Apple, make a trackpad for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by StoneJack, Apr 2, 2016.

1. StoneJack macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

We need a trackpad for iPad.
    Could be even Apple-made.
    Especially for Pro.

2. Ben foong macrumors newbie

A trackpad would be helpful but i'd also like a way to make the keys light up aswell and maybe a few more color options for the keyboard besides flat grey

3. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I'd like either a track pad or for them to just enable mouse support.
    I doubt that they will modify the Smart Keyboard to include trackpad support ala the the surface pro since they just released/designed their keyboard.

Hoping for mouse/ external trackpad support with ios10!!

5. Juandagis macrumors member

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

They need pointer support in iOS first.

The keyboard already works, the reason they haven't just enabled the trackpad driver is because iOS has no cursor. I understand why they didn't give it a cursor originally, but the time has come - applications like VDI for example would work SO, SO much better with some sort of cursor support, either mouse or trackpad.

7. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

All design apps would be soo much better also

8. Serban Suspended

Trackpad was designed to be the touch for desktop os
    Ipad is a touch os already
    I had a surfacebook and never used the touchscreen option while in laptop mode, too uncomfortable and not elegant,and on top of that the screen wobble a lot
    The smart keyboard is missing only the illuminated keys

9. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Yeah! Apple, while you're at it add a SCSI port so I can hook up my scanner.

10. McBeresford, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016

McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

The OS has already been modified to support Pencil. They won't modify it beyond that for cursor like support.

11. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I'm not saying what the trackpad was or wasn't designed for I'm saying a mouse pointer would be helpful and actually would make it easier to replace a laptop.

12. Serban Suspended

Mouse pointer for what? Home screen? Contacts app? Safari?
    So smart keyboard apple pencil and mouse? This is even more complicated than a laptop :)

13. frogger2020 macrumors regular

Isn't the whole screen a trackpad?

14. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

bingo

15. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I'm not sure what you do for a living but most "workstations" and industry standard applications require the use of a mouse to function with a mouse pointer. Also I assume non graphic artists would find the pencil to be an unnecessary complication.

A change to IOS to be able to use a mouse pointer would make a trackpad useful. Although trackpad could be useful to switch to "cursor" mode.

16. jamesrick80 Suspended

jamesrick80

If we get enough supporters for mouse support or trackpad support, maybe apple will listen. ..hope someone starts a petition.

17. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I think what Apple is worried about is if they were to add mouse support then many apps would start coming out that weren't really designed for touch and we're just desktop apps ported over to iPad, and then we would be in the situation that the Microsoft Surface is in where it's a touch screen computer with very few apps designed for the touch screen.

Apple thinks by requiring touch only, that app makers will learn to make their apps better for touch computing. They very likely may be right in the long run, but it's certainly taking a while.

18. ValO macrumors 65816

No need to include trackpad support in IOS home screen, just in apps like MS word, that is all. For text intensive apps, it would be great.
    They also included an onscreen trackpad in iOS 9 with the iPhone 6s by 3dtouch, so they know there is a need.
    So please make a keyboard cover with a small trackpad, it also could help apple to get rid of the bump in the Smart Keyboard cover.