iPad Pro as a sidekick (for a developer)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iska, Jul 19, 2017.

1. iska macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a 5K iMac to replace an aging 2011 MBP. I'll be developing on it, doing some gaming, etc. It'll be my main rig. I was planning to use my MBP around the house and on the go (rarely) but found that terrible battery life and excessive heat are making it a bit of pain to use. I thought about buying a new MacBook or MBP but the prices seem a little steep, so thought 'Hey, why not an iPad?'.

My MBP is mainly being used to watch Youtube, skype, browse reddit, read articles, browse some code and SSH into my NAS and raspberry pi from the couch to kick off a script or move some files. I'm guessing the iPad would be good for those things. I'm just a little worried that the developer in me will miss the keyboard shortcuts, customized terminal and access to a fully fledged IDE when I do feel like coding on the couch.

Are there any devs here that use an iPad pro as their secondary device? Whats your experience, what apps do you use, what do you miss?

2. blwade macrumors 6502

Still waiting on my iPad to arrive.. but I've purchased Jump Desktop, a Citrix mouse, and combined with a keyboard I plan to leave my MacBook Pro plugged in at all times at home and see how remote development works.

3. dingclancy23 macrumors regular

dingclancy23

Transmit
    Coda
    Textastic
    Working Copy
    Documents by Readdle
    Prompt
    Inspect
    Workflow

The iPad becomes more powerful if you are able to leverage remote computing with the use of Prompt so that you can offload computing tasks your instance that is not necessarily for the iPad.

It does take a lot of getting used to though but as a secondary coding device on the couche, it works really really well.

4. iska thread starter macrumors newbie

^
    Great list, this is what I was looking for. Looks like the iPad can can cover my needs!

5. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Exactly what I started doing recently.

6. azpekt macrumors regular

Haven't you told that you need mac for development?

7. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Yes, but I'm trying to do everything else other than development on the iPad and then remote in from time to time as well when I'm out and about and need something from the mac.