Ipad pro as Mac Mini only display

knucles_17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible, now that now the ipad pro is USB-C, to connect the Ipad as the main display of a mac mini 2018. it Clearly does video out, how about in?

That way i could use the new mac mini all over without the worry of having as external display at my destination.

I know you could use it with duet display but you would need to disable the login password because duet needs to load in the OS.

cheers

Reactions: whitedragon101

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2011
Yeah I use a 2017 iPad as the main display for my Mac mini, along with Duet app. It’s not 100% reliable, so I bought a $40 1280x800 LCD monitor from eBay and keep it connected (but off), in case something goes haywire during a reboot or software upgrade.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I hope Apple adds this natively in iOS 13. I'd love to use my 12.9" as a secondary display when I'm at work without dealing with hacky apps that are prone to weird system issues and poor refresh rates.

Reactions: whitedragon101

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Woooooooh

This is awesome. Definitely selling my MacBook Pro now. I bought a Mac mini for main work and iPad Pro for meetings and basic stuff like Coda2 for changes to websites if I get emergency calls. But in the back of my mind I thought what about those times I end up abroad and I know I need to get work done. Now I know. iPad Pro and Mac mini in a little bag and instant 6core mobile workstation.

Thanks so much for the link.