iPad Pro battery drain

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gerbrian, Dec 16, 2015.

1. gerbrian macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the battery on my iPad Pro.
    I woke up this morning with 86% battery and left it laying there without doing anything with it. When I picked it up in the evening (about 10-11 hours later), my battery was down to 82%. Is a 5% drain over half a day really normal?
    I already did a DFU restore last week since I thought my battery drain is too high. I have background refresh disabled. The only thing connected to the ipad is my apple pencil. I notice that each time I turn the display on, the bluetooth icon in the corner is "blinking" or "flickerign" for a second or so before it is all white. Is that a problem?

Thanks!

2. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

That's the problem. Turn off Bluetooth when you're not using the Pencil.

3. gerbrian thread starter macrumors member

Really? Will I have to repair it every time I use it then?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The pencil when not in use goes into standby and disconnects from the iPad. Turning off Bluetooth isn't needed.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The issue isn't the pencil. It's more than likely a background process running. Apps like Facebook will cause excessive drain.

6. donster28 macrumors 65816

The Pencil goes on stand by mode when not used, disconnecting itself from the iPad. i just noticed this on mine and posted a thread on this "amazing tech".

Now, I am not sure if the pencil has motion detection or touch detection. So if it only has the motion detection, putting it in a bag and walking with it might make it stay on. Will have to report back on this later. ;)

7. gerbrian thread starter macrumors member

I have background activity disabled and facebook is not installed. I dont know how to check if anything in the background is draining it. The battery menu does not really show that.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you go into settings then battery and tap the little clock face it'll tell you everything you need to know

9. gerbrian thread starter macrumors member

I do know that. But it does not show any app with massive background activity. It actually shows no background activity at all in the past 24 hours.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

How long have you had it? Mine took a a week or so to settle down.

11. gerbrian thread starter macrumors member

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ok just looked at apples quotes standby times etc and it's 1% per 7 hours if in airplane mode

13. gerbrian thread starter macrumors member

Ok I am not in Airplane mode. I am connected to WiFi and to the pencil. I am just not sure if this is normal or if I just go through the hassle and make a store appointment.

14. fanta88 macrumors 6502

Mine loses a few % points too when not in use (maybe 3-4% overnight or so), although I do have a few background apps refreshing. I also have mail pushed to the device, iMessages synced, etc.

For reference, I have other iPads and they too will lose a few % points when not in use.

15. iToph macrumors regular

I returned the ipp yesterday because I had this display pressure issue.. The new iPads battery just blows my mind!! The battery life lasts nearly twice as long compared to the old one .. So lucky that I returned the old one ...

16. gerbrian thread starter macrumors member

I should maybe make an appointment. Not sure if they will do anything since I cannot proove the issue in store.

17. moxxham, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

I have a similar issue. The battery when I use mine drains very fast! It certainly doesn't feel normal. Brightness set at 50%, connected to wifi. Just browsing the news app for 20 minutes can make it drain by 10-15%