Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Go and export a 4K video against your mac then from iMovie and see how fast it is...
I'm bored, the iPad Pro is just a not a console, it's a low end consumption device.

And yeah it's a 2.5 2012, so that's even more impressive!
Posted from my iPad Pro G2..!

IMG_0040.JPG

Let me know if I need to change any others :)

Last edited:

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Go and export a 4K video against your mac then from iMovie and see how fast it is...
I'm bored, the iPad Pro is just a not a console, it's a low end consumption device.

And yeah it's a 2.5 2012, so that's even more impressive!
Posted from my iPad Pro G2..!

View attachment 710965

Let me know if I need to change any others :)

I have - the iPad Pro edits and exports 4K movies from my iPhone much faster than my 2015 13' retina mbp.

OT: I strongly disagree that it is only just a low end consumption device. I do photo editing on it with Lightroom and Affinity photo. Still exploring affinity but it seems fast and powerful.

The latest version of Lightroom now has all the features that I use compared to the Mac version and in terms of interface fluidity - my iPad Pro is faster than my MacBook Pro. I haven't done formal timings on how fast other adjustments takes - but it is plenty fast. And this is only on the 12.9 first gen model with a9x, not the a10x

Last edited:

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I have - the iPad Pro edits and exports 4K movies from my iPhone much faster than my 2015 13' retina mbp.

OT: I strongly disagree that it is only just a low end consumption device. I do photo editing on it with Lightroom and Affinity photo. Still exploring affinity but it seems fast and powerful.

The latest version of Lightroom now has all the features that I use compared to the Mac version and in terms of interface fluidity - my iPad Pro is faster than my MacBook Pro. I haven't done formal timings on how fast other adjustments takes - but it is plenty fast. And this is only on the 12.9 first gen model with a9x, not the a10x

In fairness, 4K video taken from an iPhone and iPad are not the same video taken from an actual camera (ie DSLR). The files are smaller and most likely using a compressed codec. Try taking video taken from an actual 4K video camera. Bring it in to the iPad and then compare it to your rMBP.

IMHO, the iPad is more than just a consumption device. The potential is there with the A10X. It is only being limited by iOS and software.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
In fairness, 4K video taken from an iPhone and iPad are not the same video taken from an actual camera (ie DSLR). The files are smaller and most likely using a compressed codec. Try taking video taken from an actual 4K video camera. Bring it in to the iPad and then compare it to your rMBP.

IMHO, the iPad is more than just a consumption device. The potential is there with the A10X. It is only being limited by iOS and software.

Unfortunately I don't have a 4K capable DSlr. But I did download a gh5 file and did a quick test - iPad Pro still faster

If you search YouTube some people have done speed comparison and the iPad Pro is almost on par with the quad core 15" MacBook Pro in editing 4K videos.

Also came across this video

Echos my experience with Lightroom on the iPad Pro. It is blazing fast ..faster than my MacBook Pro. That professional photographer even claims that the iPad Pro runs Lightroom faster than even a high end desktop let alone any laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: KarmaRocket

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Unfortunately I don't have a 4K capable DSlr. But I did download a gh5 file and did a quick test - iPad Pro still faster

If you search YouTube some people have done speed comparison and the iPad Pro is almost on par with the quad core 15" MacBook Pro in editing 4K videos.

Also came across this video

Echos my experience with Lightroom on the iPad Pro. It is blazing fast ..faster than my MacBook Pro. That professional photographer even claims that the iPad Pro runs Lightroom faster than even a high end desktop let alone any laptop.

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do that. The A10X is a very capable CPU. Good to hear that it flies doing video and photo editing. makes my decision to get a 10.5 or 12.9 iPad even more convincing. The problem is deciding which size to get! :)

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do that. The A10X is a very capable CPU. Good to hear that it flies doing video and photo editing. makes my decision to get a 10.5 or 12.9 iPad even more convincing. The problem is deciding which size to get! :)

12.9 for photo editing. Once you have the editing interface controls on screen - the smaller ipads don't leave you with that much space to actually see the photo and see clearly how the adjustments affect the photo. So imo - get the 12.9 for photo editing :)

I don't really do video editing ..but I'm guessing 12.9 it would be a similar situation for video as well.

ShaunAFC3

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2016
The CPUs on iPad Pros may give some desktop machines a run for their money, but the GPUs do not. They are a far cry from anything found on traditional consoles and even the Nintendo Switch is more powerful in that department, though maybe not by that much.

Porting games to a different architecture is a huge effort and that's before you have to figure out how to control the game with touchscreen input instead of a game controller. While you can hook up a game controller to an iPad, it cannot be a requisite and is most likely even in Apple's guidelines.

Mobile game market is becoming pretty big, but at the same time there is more money to be earned from the micropayment model than from single purchases. People on mobile are also not willing to pay fair prices for games as anything over 10€ is considered expensive when console games are 60-70€ and PC games 40-50€. Game development is a hard field and to create anything like GTA V takes the effort from a big studio with hundreds of people. They could not sell it at the low low prices mobile games typically go for.

So it's a risk where the studio has to decide if they would rather sell their game on Nintendo Switch (games only platform with high game price as standard) or on iPad (not designed for gaming, having to compete on an App store with tons of crap cluttering the market and expected low price for the game).

100% THIS!!!!

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Since the big reason why AAA full graphics stuff isn’t on the AppStore is already explained on here I won’t go into that.

There’s plenty of games that don’t have any micro transactions and are excellent games for touch screens. You have to look else where than the top stuff on the App Store, and usually ignore free games. I don’t even pay attention to the top free section as usually those are always P2W stuff except for a very few.

Also just because most games don’t look like AAA games doesn’t mean they’re “kiddie” or less of a game. Some are really in depth and fun. I bet you you’ve played a few iOS to PC/Console ports already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.