iPad pro cellular compatibility

Discussion in 'iPad' started by djake80, Dec 7, 2016.

1. djake80 macrumors member

Have an easy question that I couldn't find an answer to so thought I'd ask here. If I buy an AT&T or T-Mobile iPad pro used, can I also use it on Verizon? What I've read looks like I should just be able to install the sim card and it should work but thought I'd ask here to make sure first.

Thanks!

Darin

2. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

The iPad cellular models for the last few years have used a generic 'Apple SIM' for many networks, but you need a Verizon SIM for your VZW account. That is exactly what I do (Verizon is the only viable carrier in my area). Works great.

3. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Well, I bought my sister a T-Mobile iPP and I've read stories that Verizon will not activate any iPads that was not initially on Verizon. Not sure why.

But me and my sister took a chance, went to a local Verizon Store in hopes that they will activate it. They had issues to get it to work with their network, had to bypass some configuration to get it to work somehow.

Luckily, we had a rep who was willingly to put in the time and gracious enough to do it.

4. bensisko macrumors 65816

Technically it should work, but I've never seen a Verizon iPad successfully run on AT&T/T-Mobile or vice-versa.

My guess is that it's more of a human (bureaucracy) thing than technical - seems to work fine on Overseas networks...

5. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

In USA there are two different cellular standards. Sprint and Verizon run on CDMA networks while AT&T and T-Mobile run on GSM networks. A GSM device will not generally run satisfactorily on a CDMA network. Different protocols and frequencies. Overseas usually have GSM networks, with exception of Japan, Russia and Africa. Search for "GSM vs CDMA"
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2016 ---
    However LTE, yet another standard, probably makes the GSM CDMA compatibility irrelevant if the device is unlocked.

6. bensisko macrumors 65816

From the Air 2 and on, all LTE bands are supported regardless of the network initially associated with the device.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you got a 9.7 inch Pro, you can use it on any major U.S. network even if it was originally purchased at a particular carrier. That model has an internal sim, which is sometimes locked to a carrier as it will be with Verizon or AT&T--so that sim you can't change once its locked. However, there is also a secondary, accessible sim tray which will accept a sim card from any carrier. I ran a 9.7 inch Pro on both the T-Mobile (from the internal sim) and Verizon (accessible sim) networks with no problem and you can even have active plans from multiple carriers at once. Though you have to select which one you're using. For those of us who travel outside wifi access, it's kind of an amazing feature.

I'm not so sure about the 12.9.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Actually, no problem using a Verizon iPad/iPhone on AT&T/T-Mobile. AT&T and T-Mobile don't care where your device was originally from as long as it's not blacklisted (e.g. stolen).

It's just the reverse that may be a problem due to asinine holdover rules from when Verizon was CDMA only.

That's actually from Air onwards and not just Air 2. Air 2 just introduced the Apple SIM. :)

My recommendation, buy the iPad directly from Apple (those seem to work much like SIM-free iPhones as far as whitelisting on Verizon/Sprint) and just request a free Verizon SIM from Apple.