IPad Pro does what other Apple devices haven't done

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Feb 28, 2016.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

When I first got the iPad Pro, I already had a 13" rmbp, an iMac, and an iPad Air 2 so I was wondering if the iPad Pro would really do anything for me that those other devices don't do. I found myself comparing capabilities and consistently finding the full fledged OS X to be better in terms of productivity, but then I found myself surprised by something...

The iPad Pro is the first time I have found a device that really focuses me into a single task. When I open up a word document, the entire screen is used and there is no leftover space on the top or bottom of screen with desktop or mission control (I know it can be hidden, but it is still there). To me, the best comparison is that it is akin to opening a book to read. You are just drawn in to work on the task at hand. With previous iPads, I have tried using Bluetooth keyboards and the delay between hitting the key and the iPad registering the keystroke has always been too delayed to feel like I'm using a computer. I could never get into what I was working on because of that delay. Also, the larger screen size just draws you into the task at hand even more so.

There is a typing program for OS X that is a barebones typing program. I can't think of the name off hand, but the reason it was designed was to give people a more a focused typing approach where you just open it up and type rather than messing around with all the other menus on the screen. To me, using the iPad Pro feels like that in almost every app I use, including Safari and for that, I really really enjoy using the iPad Pro like I have never enjoyed an Apple device before.

2. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

All of which is great until the first time you need to look something up in the middle of writing.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPad Pro is a superlative device. I use mine every day and thoroughly enjoy it. But I can't really praise it for being as good a writing tool as my old Mac SE was.

3. Ries macrumors 68000

You can go full screen on Mac OS X and your iPad Air 2 is the same as the pro when it comes to pages, except a larger screen. Sound more to me like you are trying to justify the exorbitant price for an enlarged iPad Air 2.

4. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. The Bluetooth keyboards I have used have always had latency when typing on word documents, thus reducing the enjoyment and immersiveness of using them.

2. Going full screen on OSX can be done on typing programs, but there is still a much more complicated menu and in general, most programs on OSX aren't utilized in full screen mode and require extra work to be utilized as such. All of the iPad Apps naturally use the entire screen with a less complicated menu system, thus allowing for a more focused use of the app, like using that simple typing program on OSX that allows you to just focus on typing and not deal with menus.

3. The larger screen on the iPad Pro contributes to a more immersive experience similar to using a laptop, while the iPad Air 2 loses its immersiveness as you set it on a desk with a keyboard to do work due to its 9.7" screen. The 9.7" screen of the iPad Air 2 is completely justified as a hand held device and even when walking around is much easier to use. The iPad Air 3 will probably be the best note taking device if it utilizes the Apple pencil due to the more portable nature of the 9.7" screen, but the Pro will still be more immersive when using it at a desk with a keyboard.

Just to address your comment about me justifying the exhorbitant pricing of the iPad Pro, I actually bought the 128gb model as part of the Staples deal at $799 and so I don't feel I spent much at all on my iPad Pro. Considering a 128gb iPad Air 2 costs $699 I feel like I got a fantastic deal. But think what you want lol.

5. ajforbes20 macrumors regular

ajforbes20

Seems like a killer deal! Way to go. Did you get the pen?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I love my Pro, but I've never noticed this Bluetooth keyboard latency with earlier iPads, going all the way back to the very first iPad.

7. AliMacs, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

AliMacs macrumors 6502

I gotta chime in on this one considering I have the same setups as OP:

I bought the staples 128GB $799 wifi IPP but returned it for an LTE model but $999.00 from B&H. I have come to the conclusion that even though in my past resentments about the IPP trying to fit a square peg thru a round hole analogy, after having used it for a few weeks now I am quite happy with it.

I will say that the IPP is about 95-99% laptop replacement.

* The IPP can multitask via split view/window without lag. It's quite enjoyable and there are times I forget the iPad can do such tasks.

* attach a Bluetooth keyboard and it works fine. The shortcut keys for going home, moving around in safari, etc are fantastic and works great and of course you can alt-tab around to switch between 10 apps so you don't miss that OS X desktop app-switching UI experience at all.

* the large 13" screen is awesome.

* the app support has matured enough now I can use the following to help fit this square peg into that round hole:

1) Use Documents, PDF Expert, FileBrowser, and or even Goodreader for PDF/file support in the IPP helps me get around no file system issues. Combine that with AFP/SMB access to my network drives AND being able to use iOS "Locations"/Open In features helps fix all the issues regarding no file system. It requires more steps but what I don't give up is security with iOS and I am ok with more steps.

2) I can also download any file I want directly to my home network/NAS via Documents browser easily.

3) I can print to any non-airprint printer AND save to PDF using Printer pro and I can also edit/create any PDF with readdle apps (PDF expert, PDF converter, printer pro, etc).

4) I can scan documents using turboscan or any other scanner app and I can move files within apps to and from my network/NAS and also to any of my online storages (onedrive/google drive/Dropbox, etc)

These are the my issues before with iOS 7 and prior on the iPad's that made me think badly about iPad replacing the laptop. But now I can and will use this IPP 99% of the time and for that 1% which is mainly using Xcode which I still have to use OS X to complete the job. Otherwise for me, the IPP is such a big improvement performance wise that I am very satisfied. I've also purchased the pencil but haven't even used it! So that's another bag of worms.

All in all I chose this iPad Pro OVER my existing iPad Air 2 and even the upcoming air 3 is because the screen using split window is just perfect. On my air 2 it's quite small and the performance just isn't there - at least just trying to replace my 13"rmbp didn't cut it with my Air 2.

So if you are wondering if the IPP is capable, hell yes. You just have to have the "know-how" to use certain apps to get around the sand boxing crap of iOS but I can see how Apple will never release an OS X hybrid because you just do not need to. With the existing apps and future apps with more api support in future iOS versions you can bet it gets even better and much easier. RIght now I am really happy with the way the IPP works and how fast and smooth it is. OVerall I am glad I opted for the LTE because even with my rmbp that is the same size as my IPP it cannot get an Internet connection anywhere the LTE IPP can. In fact all my iPads have been LTE and it's just great.

Oh regarding full screen yes if you use an external keyboard the IPP is just that much better to use than an iPad Air 2. The screen size is just perfect.

edit: I also forget that with the IPP's 13" screen size, I can use splashtop streamer to remote into my desktop to use xCode. Of course this isn't the same as being able to run Xcode on my IPP. That would be great if there was some kind of swift code version that allowed me to compile stuff but that's not #1 priority and why I bought the IPP in the first place. But being able to remote in to any PC/Mac is just awesome and solves a lot of problems.

8. stevemiller macrumors 65816

It all depends on your usage type.

No iPad could come close to touching my needs for a laptop. 3D modelling, animation, compositing, motion graphics, programming. Like... It's not even a conversation in my case.

Personally even for typing tasks, I have no interest in gorilla arming the screen any time I want to interact with UI. Not to mention the origami exercise that setting up the type cover appears to involve. I'm sure I could make do, but I wouldn't want to.

I'd much rather focus on the types of tasks where the form factor excels. Reading, note taking, drawing, even some of the new page layout tools look pretty cool. And there's probably way more applications yet to be discovered.

A tablet can be a great tool in its own right, without being the long sought after laptop replacement for everyone.

9. AliMacs macrumors 6502

These iPads are designed for the majority of people who know what they need to do in their daily life but was using the wrong (laptop) device to accomplish those tasks.

We are talking majority users of iPads here. There are tools for each and every application and the tools required are very specific in each case but you know that's why the iPad is a square peg trying to fit a round hole type of device and at many crucial times does do that well enough. As for programming, cad work, etc that's obviously not what the iPad was designed to do.

But even then your laptop may not be good enough to do those things either. the point is the iPad (pro) in this case is fitting for people who want to do things they could do on their laptops but that laptop was just overkill for what they needed to do initially. It's not for everyone but then again everyone can use it well for the same tasks a laptop can do.

With each evolution of the iPad I'm betting it will only get better and at this time the iPad pro really does fulfill that dream of not needing a laptop finally - for my own use of course!

10. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Something about you reminds me of those infomercials where they show someone screwing up something so ridiculously simple so the infomercial can say "but wait! We have a product that solves this problem!" Like someone trying to put socks on and screwing up and putting them over their head or something. And the "origami exercise". My god man....if unfolding the cover and putting the iPad on the dock is too hard for you, maybe even an iOS device isn't simple enough for you.

What is this "gorilla arm" crap? There's no palm rest. The screen is also angles and so close that you can easily just lift a finger to tap and point at buttons and text. Don't over complicate things to fit your existing idea of not liking the iPad pro.

11. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You forgot the fumbling an easy task is always in black and white video!

Some people like that just can't let anyone actually enjoy their item without telling them how bad it is because of their own personal hatred of it. It's impossible for anyone to like something if they hate it.

12. stevemiller macrumors 65816

its to each their own for sure.
    Wow didn't realize opinions here are treated with such hostility. (Ha! Just kidding! Everyone here is famously brimming with rage for each other!)

I stated clearly that it was my opinion and backed it up why it didn't work for me. Also I stated there's plenty of areas I thought iPads are great. But sure run with blind hatred.

Also to address the insult that gorilla arm isn't a thing, tell that to literally the same people here who love to point out how awful an idea they think touchscreen windows machines are. Or the fact that Apple themselves said it's unergonomic. Or the fact that yes, I did try out an iPad pro with keyboard, and yes it's an over 12" display and a ton of UI still gets placed along the top of the screen. You are definitely raising your arm a lot. Wasn't for me.

And holy cow, if we want attack infomercial style 'problems', how about holding the same standards to the original post saying an iPad is better for typing because even though you can full screen an app on OS X and hide the menu bar, you might still sense that it could be there, and that makes it harder to really focus.

But I'm NOT insulting that. It's cool if that works for him and it's totally up to him if he dislikes that about laptops. But I dared share what does and doesn't work for me and you guys act like I should be tarred and feathered and run out of town. Geez.

13. seadragon, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016

seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I think the frustration is that some people have successfully replaced their laptops with an iPad which is great. For those that edit documents for a living, I can see that working.

For others such as myself, the iPad falls short of replacing the laptop. I use pro apps such as Final Cut, Logic Pro, Photoshop and Lightroom. I simply can't replace my laptop with an iPad, at least not in its current state.

When we discuss what the iPad would need to replace our laptop, people start with the dismissive comments such as "just get a laptop" or "they already make what you need, it's called a laptop" etc.

I like the capabilities of the laptop and the touch screen of the iPad, but I don't like really like carrying around two devices. I would love a single device that does it all, and that may not be the iPad at all. It think a hybrid device, an Apple version of a Surface would be perfect.

To me, the iPad is a great consumption and entertainment device, but at the moment, nothing more.

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I think the problem with doing this on a Mac is that going full-screen on a 16:9 display feels like a waste sometimes, especially when many apps and webpages don't really make full use of that horizontal screen space. So browsing in full-screen Safari or Chrome on my iMac or Macbook just means a lot of blank white space on the left and right sides. Or enlarge the text to fill out the space and you keep having to scroll if you want to read more than a couple of lines.

Right now, I am typing this reply in Safari on my iMac in roughly 4:3 aspect ratio, with a couple of other smaller apps open beside it.

This somehow feels more spacious on a 4:3 tablet. I guess 4:3 feels right for a single app, 16:9 suits 2 apps side-by-side.

15. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I'm typing this on my iPad mini 2 with my Apple keyboard and I don't notice a delay when typing at all. Is it something exclusive to the word processing app you used, or did you experience that anywhere when typing?