iPad Pro iPad Pro: End of Planned Obsolesence

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sanke1, Nov 11, 2015.

?

Will they do it and bog the UI experience down with next year's update?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

That's right. It's so fast that it's maddening fast.

I am wondering what will Apple do now? :D

Simple choice between yes and no for the poll. Explaining your choice would be cool.

Let's keep things at fun level btw!

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Apple's planned obsolesence strategy has never been about bogging down the OS. It's about leaving out key hardware features. The first gen iPad lacked cameras (came in the next model), the first Mini lacked a retina display (came in the next model), the Air and Mini 2 lacked TouchID (came in the next models), the iPad Pro lacks 3D Touch...

3. newellj macrumors 601

Every tech purchase is by definition going to become obsolescent because the manufacturer plans to introduce hardware, firmware/OS and software updates that will make it obsolete.

4. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

tech keeps moving, UIs keep moving. When Apple controls both the hardware and software, there will always be a planned obsolete day.

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Next years model will probably get a USB-C port. That will make the current one obsolete ;)

Apples planned obsolescence applies more to iMacs and laptops , devices that in the past could be upgraded . There is not much reason to upgrade an iPad except for the iOS that runs like a dog down the line. Though to get around that, don't upgrade the device until you read reviews. If you stick with the IOS it came with or one version newer you device will run fine!

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Bog it down? No, but I think they will be making major improvements to iOS. There is so much low hanging fruit in iOS 9 on iPad. For one - slide over. The "app switcher" on slide over is terrible. There needs to be a slide over launcher where you can pin favorite apps (1Password for example.)

Also more keyboard support - tvOS already shows how they can do this because it is controlled with a directional input.

The other thing - performance wise this device blows every other iOS device out of the water, if they bog it down then everything else will be slow as well.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I tried one in the store and there is a huge lag when trying to bring the split view app switcher by dragging from the top of the screen. Neither the new Air nor the new Mini have this so Apple has already bogged the UI down.

8. newellj macrumors 601

I sort of doubt that ANY Gen 1 device represents an end to obsolescence. Quite the contrary, I think you can count on it being superseded within the next 12 months.

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

There are some lag issues that are related to 9.1. 9.2 beta fixes a lot of them. Even multitasking is laggy on the Pro until you install 9.2.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I voted no just because usually the first new iOS upgrade doesn't do anything to slow down a device. However technology will continue moving forward and it will slow down with the newest OS. I think we have another decade or two before computer advancements slow down to the point where any improvements have to come from software optimization.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its good that Apple fixed that because I was seeng a 2-3 second delay.

12. sanke1 thread starter macrumors 65816

sanke1

I was wondering what else they could add to iOS to bring down the performance? This iPad should technically run full ARM64 based version of OSX if they release one.

13. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

No way the next iPad gets a USB c port. They are committed to lightning in their iOS devices. It's the port they created for crying out loud!

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Look at it this way, the Pro is the most powerful iOS device by far. If Apple bulks up iOS to the point where the Pro has noticeable struggles, won't it make the vast majority of iOS devices currently on the market unusable? As was brought up in another thread recently, most consumers are not using the latest models. I think that Apple cares about their reputation too much to wreck the proformance of their entire mobile product line just to force some upgrades.

In short, if the Pro struggles with iOS 10 or 11, God help the millions of other iOS devices out there.

15. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The iPad Pro also lacks the 2nd generation super fast Touch ID found on iPhone 6s. No doubt it will come in the next iteration of the iPad Pro.

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

We were never going to get a stylus.... I mean pencil ;) .

17. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Who said they were never getting a stylus? It's been rumored to be coming for years now

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Under Tim, yes, under Jobs, I doubt it.

I personally think it great for a niche user base, though ironic how the Pro has borrowed so much from the surface.

19. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Well, of course there will be improvements in future versions of iOS that can only be taken advantage by the newer SoCs.
    Plus, the GPU of the A9X might be fast, but the CPU power is not. So if developers start making apps that is more CPU heavy, then one can feel the A9X to be "slowing down."

Then again, Apple seems to be targeting this device for those that DO have longer product cycle (businesses, enterprises, etc). Thus I have a feeling it will enjoy "longer" shelf life as Apple will now optimize newer iOS for 64-bit (now that all their lineup are 64bit only). Plus as we are seeing the A8 on the iPod Touch and the new Apple TV, I feel the A8 will be the baseline.

Downside is that devices with A7 or older might get the step child treatment.

20. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I can't imagine how you would slow down a device with 4gb of ram and A9x processor.

That said, the hardware is still not entirely up to date, as it reportedly sports Gen1 Touch-ID and lacks force-touch. You can edit 4k video on it, yet it can't record 4k footage. Something to watch out for in the next iPad Pro refresh.

21. zehoo macrumors newbie

More cores and the same amount of RAM with 3D Touch. That's probably what they've got for next year ;-).

22. dwhittington macrumors regular

dwhittington