Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
My first generation IPP 12.9 has been well cared for & kept in the Apple silicon case & cover. With the quality of Apple hardware, the superb RAM management, & finely tuned software the general use of this IPP will extend past 3 years. I pre-ordered the Vaja case & cover for the IPP 10.5 and intend the IPP 10.5 purchase to be at least a 2 year + investment. Having just general use needs of computer type devices I'm rarely in need of a laptop or desktop (less than once a month). I'll bring my IPP 12.9 for specific reasons and trips, otherwise it'll be kept at the house. The IPP 10.5 will go where I go daily.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
I had ipad 2 prior 2017 10,5" ipad pro. Lifespan of ipad 2 for me was 6 years and 3 months. After 5 years though, performance was bad due to newest IOS releases. Don't update after 2 years and you should be ok for 10 years ;)

It is admirable that you had that level of discipline to max out the lifespan of that device. Only now after my transition to iOS devices am I seeing myself holding on to devices beyond 1 year.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
HW wise, iPads will last 5 years easily.

SW wise, they will keep running well whatever software you have installed.

OS is the problem. As mentioned by the previous poster, at some point in the future. 3rd or 4th year, you should be careful when upgrading software versions. If you feel that performance is significant impacted you should downgrade immediately before Apple stops signing in the previous OS version (usually one to two weeks after release).

I have an iPad 1 running Netflix on a bedroom TV... aka "cheap apple TV"

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
It is admirable that you had that level of discipline to max out the lifespan of that device. Only now after my transition to iOS devices am I seeing myself holding on to devices beyond 1 year.
I couldn't even keep my Air 2 for 3 years :( The Pro was to good not to upgrade but now I am committed to this for 5 years at least.

Reactions: Orangeman13

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My opinion, iPads will even last well past the owners decision to upgrade to the latest hardware before their older iPad loses iOS support. Given new iPads release every 18 months approximately, most seem to be tempted by the latest upgrades, where their previous iPad is still receiving support, but the majority tend to sell or give their iOS devices away before they upgrade to the newest iPad.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
But with the 4 GB RAM in the 10.5" iPP and the 12.5" iPP how long do you guys think that these devices will support the latest iOS released before they start to lag and slow down ?

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
But with the 4 GB RAM in the 10.5" iPP and the 12.5" iPP how long do you guys think that these devices will support the latest iOS released before they start to lag and slow down ?

A really long time. The main reason why the old ones are not doing so well is insufficient RAM. For a long time if your smartphone or tablet had at least 2 GB RAM they would run most software just fine. With 4 GB you're good for a long time.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
A really long time. The main reason why the old ones are not doing so well is insufficient RAM. For a long time if your smartphone or tablet had at least 2 GB RAM they would run most software just fine. With 4 GB you're good for a long time.

As in how much 5 years ?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
For general usage (not pro-heavy apps), you can reasonably expect an iPad to have enough horsepower to be pleasantly useful for 4 years from the initial release date. You should be able to stretch it to 5 years if you’re willing to put up with some inadequacies.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
For general usage (not pro-heavy apps), you can reasonably expect an iPad to have enough horsepower to be pleasantly useful for 4 years from the initial release date. You should be able to stretch it to 5 years if you’re willing to put up with some inadequacies.

But my question is that only with 4 GB of RAM in it, is there going to be any inadequacy in the first place ?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I'll want to upgrade before the device wears out; typically I'll buy something new each year. I've bought 4 phones in the past year and kept 3 of them.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I bought an iPad Air last year since all I needed it for was really Netflix/YouTube/etc and Spotify in bed. It's held up well performance-wise for something that came out in like 2013 I think. Even Safari is pretty usable, and nothing lags horribly. That said, it's staying on iOS 10 for the rest of its life lol.

So I'd say they can last a good 4+ years, hardware failure withstanding, for the average person then.

Reactions: Legendts

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
But my question is that only with 4 GB of RAM in it, is there going to be any inadequacy in the first place ?

You are right to be concerned. Depending on usage YMMV from others. Two examples:
A) if you are a heavy multitasker, 4GB may limit your performance in 2-3 years
B) new apps to handle RAW photos, 4k video, AR applications may need more RAM in the future

Hard to future proof any tech product particularly as iOS evolves rapidly from single use / task to multi-use plus high end video processing.

Reactions: rui no onna

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I am thinking 4-5 years even though I replace every year.

I am already updating every two years but I always hand me down my "old" iPads.

My plan is to upgrade again next year (from my 2016 9.7" iPad Pro) and keep it for 3 years before upgrading again. That will achieve a good balance in terms of cost benefit (basically $1/day).

When I hand my iPad down I get the Apple bonus (quality products that receive constant software updates and are useful for a long time). No such thing as an Apple tax in terms of tablets. Just a great / useful product.

Reactions: rui no onna

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I honestly think the 9.7 with 2 GB of RAM will also last quite a bit in terms of usability with iOS updates. My 9.7 is running fabulously on iOS 11 dev beta 2. Imagine how nice it will be when it’s released to the public.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I honestly think the 9.7 with 2 GB of RAM will also last quite a bit in terms of usability with iOS updates. My 9.7 is running fabulously on iOS 11 dev beta 2. Imagine how nice it will be when it’s released to the public.

I would imagine at least three years of support remaining with a 9.7 Pro. The ram management is one thing to consider, but I think iOS 11 will be a huge impact positively for it.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
My iPad 2 and 4 are both still in use with family members and both had a lot of use while I had them. The iPad 2 still has good battery life too.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
RAM has nothing to do with processing speed. Or battery life. If you keep upgrading the OS, you risk diminishing performance. If you use your iPad frequently and thus charge it frequently, you're going to diminish the maximum life on a charge. RAM is being bumped up to accommodate having 2-3 apps on screen at the same time. It's not magic though.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
RAM has nothing to do with processing speed. Or battery life. If you keep upgrading the OS, you risk diminishing performance. If you use your iPad frequently and thus charge it frequently, you're going to diminish the maximum life on a charge. RAM is being bumped up to accommodate having 2-3 apps on screen at the same time. It's not magic though.

But it is widely believed more the RAM, more iterations of iOS it can sustain. It is mainly because of lack of adequate RAM that devices would get slow down with new iterations of iOS coming out every year.

Reactions: tagumcity

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Just replaced an iPad Version 3 2012
Last OS supported 9.3.5 laggy and slow on that at best.
Wouldn't support 10.x in 2016
Wont support 11 in 2017.

Either way battery was due for a replacement 5 years later but an iPad Pro 10.5 was a better choice
My wife who has an iPad Air would use the Version 3 and say whats wrong with it.

So about 5 years.....

Reactions: Legendts

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008

I understand your concern. My post was in response to the OP's original question.

As for your concerns about the RAM, I would still expect the Gen 2 iPad Pros to run really well for the next 4 years, with gradual slowdowns starting after that. By 6 years in, I would suspect that you would stop upgrading the iOS at that time. These are just estimates, but should be fairly accurate.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
5 years pretty much gaurenteed at this point 6 maybe it really depends and we wont be able to accurately gauge this until 3 years down the road at least. We have to see how the A9X and A10X hold up over time.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But it is widely believed more the RAM, more iterations of iOS it can sustain. It is mainly because of lack of adequate RAM that devices would get slow down with new iterations of iOS coming out every year.

I primarily agree with this. Ram is a considerable factor when factoring long term support and of course, there are other mitigating circumstances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.