iPad Pro is the iPad mini redux

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Appl3FTW, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Seriously this is just like the iPad mini release. There's nothing great about this iPad except the new form factor. Same thing when they released the first mini. There was no retina and offered nothing to the table except a smaller form factor.

I get it buy if you want because I got suckered into the first mini as well haha. But the gen 2 will blow this thing out.

2. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

It seems you have made pretty clear you don't like the iPad Pro. And do you know what? Nobody cares.

Why keep wasting your own time posting things with absolutely no basis? It's more than a new form factor, you have new speakers, new screen technology, Apple Pencil, smart keyboard etc. If you don't like it, don't buy one. But stop posting annoying threads.

3. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

This thread accomplishes nothing.

4. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

No 3D touch
    Old touch ID sensor
    iOS on iPad still very limited
    hardly any apps updated for iPad Pro
    accessories still not readily available

yeah, easy skip

6. cornerexit macrumors regular

They can dislike all they want. Typing on mine now and it's the best Apple device I've ever used, including phones, macs, etc. Incredible piece of kit.....

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

My biggest gripe with the iPad Pro is that when I was holding it and used one hand to touch stuff on the screen, I was logically left holding the iPad with my other hand. But the thing is too big and heavy to comfortably hold in one hand for an extended period of time. If I am sitting with my knees bent really high so I can lean it against my thighs and not hold with my hands at all, it fares well. Also if it is docked then it is really nice. Basically as long as I don't have to hold it with one hand it is cool. But if it is docked in a keyboard case then it becomes a wannabe laptop. And it fails hard at being a laptop replacement at this point in time. As was pointed out by MKBHD, the number of pixels between the icons on the home screen is greater than the resolution of the iPhone 3GS. In other words, the screen size is being wasted by the OS. It is far to limited for this to be a professional machine for the average "professional". Web browsing is amazing, but how professional is that? The product segment is appealing to me only in form, not function.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I disagree. This thread delivers.
    The-Universe-Delivers.jpg

9. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

The only 1st edition apple device i ever bought was the original iphone. Although the pro is technically just a bigger souped up iPad, it is still the first generation of the Pro line, and i dont think i would ever buy a 1st gen device from Apple again as i feel they tend to deliberately withhold features only to add them on their next incarnation and have buyers hankering after the latest features. Bait & Switch?

The pro is so powefull but i cant help but feel the power isn't being utilised to full potential...Yet...

I will probably, eventually purchase a Pro at some point but right now i cant help but feel its the inevitible guinea pig of the upcoming pro line and I've been there, done that, and regretted a year after.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

3 and 4 can be fixed with software, 5 will happen over time. The software isn't even close to taxing the hardware on this device. iPad Pro is not even close to being outdated like the original iPad mini was. And everyone that mentions 3D Touch, do we even know technically how that would work on a much larger display, especially if a keyboard was attached? 3D Touch seems most suited to a smaller device IMO. And as far as Touch ID goes, how frequently are people unlocking their iPads as compared to their iPhones? I've had my iPad Pro for several weeks now and not once did I think "gosh Touch ID is really slow". And not once has it failed to recognize my finger.

People can choose not to buy this device because they think it's outdated but then they might as well not buy anything ever. Don't buy a new car because the minute you drive it off the lot it's outdated and you know next years model is going to be better. And don't buy a phone because we all know next years phone will have a better camera, faster processor, etc. I'd rather buy things and enjoy them now rather than waiting for something better...because I'd always be waiting. Technology never stops getting better.

11. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I agree with the touchID... Never did I have a problem thinking the 1st gen touchID was slow. We just got pampered with the 6s plus gen2 speed. Haha

12. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Once you try Astropad with Lightroom, Photoshop, Painter, etc then you will love it. But only if you are into that.

13. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Yes 3/4 can happen with software updates, but the consumer shouldn't have to wait an year for Apple and developers to catch up

14. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

So ipad pro 3...will blow 2 out of the sky.

15. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

Yes.. It boils down to when to jump on the Pro gravy train. Every updated edition shall feature "extra" gravy.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree, but in a way that you make your point.

I think the Mini was a model that Apple needed to make and was warmly received, even though the first gen was under powered. It showed that many people (like me) wanted a smaller iPad and it proved to be a popular model.

The iPad Pro is another example where Apple sees an opportunity and made a larger iPad, and so far it seems to be largely well received. I personally love the design, but its not a tablet that I have a use for, i.e., its not a good fit for my needs.

Bottom line, it may not be a good model for you, but that doesn't make it a failure.

17. ACG12 macrumors 6502

Far from being a remake of the original mini. The ipad pro, performance wise, is a beast. The mini came out of the gate being very weak.

But I do agree, this device won't be worth it until the 2nd generation.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My IPP replaced my Air 2 and I am very happy. Never expected the IPP to be much more than a iPad with a larger screen and it is doing nicely.

Apple could have made the IPP more but choose not to do so.

19. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Considering the form factor is the main point of it, I don't see your argument.

20. neteng101 macrumors 65816

This is almost always true for all iOS devices universally... gen 2 like the iPad 2 typically has a ton of longevity. Those poor souls that bought the original iPad got a pretty bad deal.

S versions of iPhone has always hit the sweet spot too.

iPad Pro, Apple Watch... do expect gen 2 to be better. But the mini 2 is not that great really, so I'm not sure if the gulf will be that huge between Pro and Pro 2. Certainly I don't expect it to be as good of an improvement as we saw from Air to Air 2. The Air 2, iPad 2 and all iPhone S-versions are the best revisions/gen 2s. The mini 2, mini 4, iPad 4... not so great of a jump but certainly did improve on the gen before them.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Not every product is going to be a good fit for everyone. That is why it is nice to have choices.

22. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

A9X and 4gb of ram ='s the most powerful tablet by a significant margin. Sure nothing to see here...?

[​IMG]

23. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I don't think gen 2 of the iPad Pro will be that improved. I'm expecting hardware redesigns, standard processor upgrade, same ram, and maybe some new features like better Touch ID and possibly 3D Touch. I don't think it will be like iPad 1 or iPad Air 1 which were rendered almost totally obsolete within one product revision. At least I hope not!

24. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Yeah...but some extra features could skipped.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hyperbole much? Yes, the iPad 2 was a significant improvement over the original iPad, but my boss and my mom kept happy using the iPad 1 for a few more years. The Air 2, IMO, wasn't that significant an improvement over the Air 1. It has more RAM, slightly faster processor, and slightly better display. Basically a typical incremental upgrade over the previous gen. I only upgraded because my boss lost his iPad and agreed to take my Air 1 while paying for me to get the Air 2. My partner is still using his Air 1 without any complaints.