Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rattler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
I use my 11” iPad Pro for FaceTime audio fairly frequently and I’ve noticed that whenever I’m holding it in landscape orientation with my hand covering the display microphone and the top left microphone it does not pick up any sound. Now with 5 microphones I would’ve assumed that at least one of them would be able to pick up sound no matter how I’m holding it. Is this top right hole actually a microphone or is mine not working?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I think it’s a software thing. The software doesn’t just use all microphones. It’s responsible for picking. FaceTime is likely using just the left mics for input and the rest for algorithmically filtering background noise.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I use my 11” iPad Pro for FaceTime audio fairly frequently and I’ve noticed that whenever I’m holding it in landscape orientation with my hand covering the display microphone and the top left microphone it does not pick up any sound. Now with 5 microphones I would’ve assumed that at least one of them would be able to pick up sound no matter how I’m holding it. Is this top right hole actually a microphone or is mine not working?
Maybe it isn’t using all of the microphones?

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.