iPad Pro is what iPad Air 3 should have been

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Dec 31, 2015.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Looking at the charts on Apple's own website and according to release dates, the Air 3 should have come out when the iPad Pro did, but instead it was delayed to allow the Pro release. It will be interesting to see what happens with the iPad Air 3, if it will be a more powerful processor than the Pro, or if it will be the same processor... leaving the Air updates to be relegated to be similar to how the mini follows the air (i.e. the mini is never as powerful as the air to make sure the air is more enticing performance wise). If you look at Apple's charts showing the progression in performance of the iPad line leading up to the Pro, you can see that the Pro fits in exactly where the Air 3 should have been performance wise.

http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/technology/

Unfortunately for people that are not interested in buying a pro, this means longer waits/less improvements for each iteration of the Air going forward. Whats your opinion?

2. Wando64 macrumors 6502

I think you are forgetting that the size of the iPad determines the size of the battery inside and its ability of dissipating heat, which in turns dictates how much power you can give to the processor.
    If they could do a mini as powerful as the pro, they would.

3. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Definitely longer product cycles. Probably won't see Air3 until Oct.

4. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I think we're going to see the Air have the same processor as the phone of the same year, the mini have the previous, and the X just for the Pro.

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It'll be interesting to see if the Pro even gets an upgrade next year. I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if they go to an 18/24 month upgrade cycle for the iPads seeing as their sales have slowed due to people not upgrading as often.

Might make more sense to stagger the updates so they keep the sales bumps more or less steady year-on-year for the iPads as they cater to the different iPad size users.

6. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

That makes sense.

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I had said in another earlier thread that it wouldn't surprise me if there is no iPP 2 until 2017. Some scoffed at the idea.

We shall see...

8. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

iPad Air 3 will most likely be the iPad Pro mini if that makes sense

9. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I prefer Apple to give the iPad Air 3 the A9 and leave us pro users with the A9X ....pro users deserve the more powerful processor

10. Fthree macrumors 6502a

why would a "pro" user deserve more power? what if a Pro'er than you user just wants a smaller screen?

11. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Did you really just use the word "pro-er"? Somebody is either a pro use or they're not.

12. Fthree macrumors 6502a

I am an artist I paint pictures with my words, what I'm saying is what if a person that would be classified by the apple fans as a Pro (insert definition here ___________) user wants the POWER of the IPP in a smaller package? does one have to like the bigger iPad to be considered a pro? Who determines who is pro or not?

13. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I would think the most expensive device deserves the most power...the iPad pro is more expensive than a air and we should get what we purchase (a better product than something cheaper). What determines a pro'er lol; I guess anyone who buys the pro. If you want an air, you should expect less power.

14. Fthree macrumors 6502a

So why not make the air 3 and IPP the same price then? Or spec the two exactly the same and you can pay a premium for the screen.

15. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

scoff

16. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I doubt the iPad Pro will ever have the same chip as the iPP. Maybe it gets the 9X when the Pro gets the 10x, but that's not something I'd bet on. If a person wants a smaller screen and a more powerful chip, they might just be out of luck. One can be a pro and like any size screen. Apple might not make the device you want, though. They're going to make devices that they think will be for the larger number of people.

Plus, well, a larger device allows them to do more with the device than a smaller one. Whether it's heat dissipation or the speakers, they're not going to be able to make the next Air what the Pro is today.

17. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Yep, I still think the iPad pro is overpowered so Apple will maybe hold off on a quick release......I don't see the iPad pro 2 coming in Fall 2016......

18. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Might be for the best; let iOS catch up to what the iPP can enable it to do.

19. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I'm still hoping we get a padOS. That way, we can have a UI made for tablets, one great for phones, the watch, the TV, etc.

20. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

I don't think Air 3 is going to have the same specs as IPP. I'm thinking there won't be a IPP2 until 2017 spring and Air 3 may get some bumps this 2016 Spring but not the Pencil and not the A9x.

I don't think a smaller screened iPad will get the Pencil until at least 2017 and may not even then. The Pencil was created for the IPP, and there are many 3rd party stylus out there that works on the smaller iPads. I think Apple will reserve the Pencil for the Pro line for AT LEAST another year..it was a huge selling point for IPP.

I know and understand all the arguments for Air 3 to get Pencil, don't think it's gonna happen though...we'll see.

21. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I personally am not sure how ultimately beneficial it would be to create that distinction between two relatively similar iOS devices would be, but I wouldn't be against it either. Clearly iOS for tablets is going in a slightly different direction, and anything that helps spur that along I am for.

22. Fthree macrumors 6502a

if all things remain constant the air 2 will still be relevant if they just give the air 3 a slight spec bump. Apple is getting too predictable---- like what you said above they will release a "new" iPad withOUT allowing it to take advantage of their newest iPad tech (the pencil) The air 3 will probably get the 3 connector dots and a keyboard similar to the the IPP and maybe just maybe a silicone case.

23. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I agree; I believe that for the next several years the Pencil will be an iPP-exclusive accessory. Apple will say things like writing/drawing on a smaller screen doesn't offer the right experience that the iPP does and things like that, but ultimately they really just want to differentiate the iPP line.

I could absolutely be wrong, but that's what I expect to happen.

24. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly! Why not give all 3 tablets the same processor and then have the price difference affect the size of the screen. People can be pro and use the mini because they prefer the size for portability (i.e. business person who conducts power point presentations and uses the mini as the remote/note card).

To the person who previously mentioned size of tablet affecting the ability of putting in a more powerful processor and mentioning that is why the mini gets the last generation processor, you couldn't be more wrong. Previous generation processors will almost always use more power than the newest processor due to the changes in fabrication. The iPad Air 2 processor (A8X) has a TDP of 4.5W and uses 3.19W typically. I can promise you the A7 processor built on a 28mm process has a higher TDP than 4.5W

25. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

With an OS tailored for using the tablets to be productive, they could speed up phasing out OS X.

Battery life and heat dissipation should be considered.