Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech recently debuted the Folio Touch, a keyboard and trackpad case designed for the 11-inch iPad Pro that serves as an alternative to the Magic Keyboard. In our latest YouTube video, we compare the $160 Folio Touch to Apple's $300 Magic Keyboard to see which is better.

Logitech is selling the Folio Touch for $160, while Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro is much more expensive at $300, so right off the bat, it has a huge advantage when it comes to price.

foliotouchdesign.jpg

The Folio Touch has better viewing angles thanks to a movable stand, it offers more protection for the iPad Pro because it encases the entire device, and the cover can be folded all the way back to use the iPad Pro in tablet mode or with an Apple Pencil, something the Magic Keyboard isn't capable of.

Design wise, the Folio Touch is bulkier because of the extra protection and made from a fabric material that's less prone to dust and grime, but that aforementioned stand is malleable and not as sturdy as the Magic Keyboard in a lap. The hinge of the Magic Keyboard is sturdy and the floating design is visually impressive, while the Folio Touch offers a more straightforward iPad folio case design.

foliotouchfabric.jpg

One major advantage the Folio Touch offers is a function row of keys for controlling media, accessing the Home Screen, adjusting screen brightness, and more, and that's missing on the Magic Keyboard. There's space for charging the Apple Pencil with the Folio Touch and it can be held in place with a magnetic flap when the keyboard is closed. The same is true of the Magic Keyboard, but there's no extra flap for holding the Apple Pencil in place.

foliotouchkeyboard.jpg

The Magic Keyboard's trackpad is a little bit better because it doesn't take as much force to click, but that's mitigated if you have tap to click turn on. Both trackpads have the same functionality and work with all the iPadOS gestures. The Magic Keyboard's keys also feel better under the fingers with more travel and a sturdier press, but it's a close call.

Both have backlighting and connect to the iPad Pro using the Smart Connector, so there's no need to charge or use Bluetooth, and both keyboard options seem to drain about the same amount of battery from the iPad Pro. There's no extra USB-C port on the Folio Touch like there is on the Magic Keyboard, which is a negative if you want to use an extra accessory, plus the cutout is a little bit small so it might not work with docks.

foliotouchthickness.jpg

Make sure to watch the full video for a better look at how the two keyboards compare, but in a nutshell, Logitech's Folio Touch is an appealing Magic Keyboard alternative because it offers the same functionality as the Magic Keyboard, and when it comes to the stand and the versatility of the case design, it's even better than the Magic Keyboard.

foliotouchfoldedback.jpg

There are some perks to the Magic Keyboard like that extra USB-C port and the more unique and visually appealing hinge design, but at $160, the Logitech Folio is definitely worth considering for those who are looking for an iPad Pro keyboard. The biggest downside is that it's not yet available for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

We'll have a more in-depth review of the Logitech Folio Touch coming later this week, so keep an eye out for that, and let us know in the comments what you think about each keyboard.

Article Link: iPad Pro Keyboard Comparison: Logitech's $160 Folio Touch vs. Apple's $300 Magic Keyboard

Last edited:
Reactions: uther

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
This really does look a great bit of kit, but it's a shame it's just SO thick...a different way of implementing the hinge to allow for a thinner design would make this the perfect solution for most, I believe.

Reactions: orbital~debris

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Why isn’t it called the same as the other one with a trackpad for the iPad Air 3 or iPad Pro (whatever size we are at by now, 12?) ? Such a mess

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I agree with all your criticisms of the Folio, but the lapability is a deal breaker for me. I’m typing this on my folio in my lap right now!

Apr 3, 2017
I'm assuming this logitech folio touch has the same issues that the combo touch has w/ the 10.5" and air models, where the trackpad stops working on it frequently. I've had the combo touch with my 10.5" pro for about 4 months now and after a firmware update from logitech, the issue still persists. Their support is useless in figuring out the issue as well, they've told me to return it to Apple when it was past the return window, and haven't provided any solutions as of yet. I know people over on the iPad accessories forum stating the same thing, and replacement models have made no difference. It's really disappointing considering it's an otherwise solid product.

Antes

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
I'm assuming this logitech folio touch has the same issues that the combo touch has w/ the 10.5" and air models, where the trackpad stops working on it frequently. I've had the combo touch with my 10.5" pro for about 4 months now and after a firmware update from logitech, the issue still persists. Their support is useless in figuring out the issue as well, they've told me to return it to Apple when it was past the return window, and haven't provided any solutions as of yet. I know people over on the iPad accessories forum stating the same thing, and replacement models have made no difference. It's really disappointing considering it's an otherwise solid product.
I’m currently using the 11” Folio touch keyboard and can confirm that is a problem.
It’s beyond annoying as it didn’t happen when I used the Magic Trackpad at all.
Sometimes the cursor disappears completely and the navigation will switch to a sort of Apple TV Remote gesture mode.
It’s bizarre because it will recognize swipes and gestures but there’s no cursor selecting anything.
Also it has trouble with three and four finger gestures- I’m getting so close to returning this damn keyboard because of how many times it takes me to the App-Switcher window instead of to the Home Screen.

It’s a shame because the trackpad is way more comfortable to use than the really tiny one on the Magic Keyboard. Same goes for the keys which have more space and the much-used Shortcut keys. This two reasons are why I purchased this keyboard. Heres hoping a firmware update comes out to fix these issues before my return period is up or else I’m just getting a refund.

okifeelthat

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
I have it. Yes it’s bulky but very well built. But having the trackpad and keyboard is a game changer, wish I had it back in 2018 when I got my iPad Pro. Absolutely loving it!

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
The Logitech keyboard just looks clunky to me. In part, it’s the kickstand that is required that I don’t at all, much like Microsoft’s kickstand on their Surface device that just feels like a cheap alternative to figuring out how to make a hinge work, like Apple did with the Magic Keyboard. I suppose some people will be ok with it, given the cost savings. It’s not an option for me as I’m using a 12.9” iPad Pro (with old keyboard folio). I’m holding out on getting a Magic Keyboard for Apple’s real update to the iPad Pro, that hopefully hits later this year or early next year.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
I’m currently using the 11” Folio touch keyboard and can confirm that is a problem.
It’s beyond annoying as it didn’t happen when I used the Magic Trackpad at all.
Sometimes the cursor disappears completely and the navigation will switch to a sort of Apple TV Remote gesture mode.
It’s bizarre because it will recognize swipes and gestures but there’s no cursor selecting anything.
Also it has trouble with three and four finger gestures- I’m getting so close to returning this damn keyboard because of how many times it takes me to the App-Switcher window instead of to the Home Screen.

It’s a shame because the trackpad is way more comfortable to use than the really tiny one on the Magic Keyboard. Same goes for the keys which have more space and the much-used Shortcut keys. This two reasons are why I purchased this keyboard. Heres hoping a firmware update comes out to fix these issues before my return period is up or else I’m just getting a refund.

I've experienced the opposite. No issues since I bought it at launch. I have not upgraded the firmware though and have no intention to as I've seen people have issues with it.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
With a strong no-kickstand preference, I love the 12.9 MK. Also love that it's covered under my iPad's Applecare+. (And yes, I assume Logitech also provides great customer service).

Reactions: decypher44

MvdM

Suspended
Apr 27, 2005
You are worried about the stand getting looser, but what about the hinge(s) on the magic keyboard?

Last edited:

Lukmut

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2020
I cant wait to see what the folio-touch keyboard for 12.9 inch looks like. I would definitely go for the magic keyboard though. It’s design is meant for a touch first design, thats why it brings the screen forward.

Surf760

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
The real issue with the Logitech is that if I just want to read a book in my hand or put the iPad onto the holder for my exercise bike to do a class, I've gotta pry the damn thing out of that Logitech case and feel every time like I'm going to break the case or iPad.

That simple magnetic snap is the real draw to the Magic Keyboard for me. It is however obscenely overpriced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.