iPad pro keyboard for the lounge chair user?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lparsons21, Feb 21, 2016.

1. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

My primary location for using the iPad pro is in my recliner. I had the Logitech keyboard case but found that the angle just wasn't right for that use. Very awkward.
    So how is the Apple version for this use case?
    Or is there something better?

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

One of my pet peeves about all of the early keyboard offerings was that they all generally had one viewing angle. When I saw the Zagg Slim Book was available I jumped on it and have loved it. It checked all but one of my requirement boxes

- Adjustable viewing angles
    - iPad is easily removable
    - Backlit keys
    - Functions keys

My only significant con would be the weight--it's a pretty heavy keyboard though completely understandable as it's needed to balance the weight of the iPP itself while maintaining those adjustable viewing angles. When docked with the keyboards, its size and weight rival a 13" MPB.

The case that the actually iPP snaps into adds very little weight so I find using the iPP on it's own pretty comfortable.

The only other think I would have preferred going in would be the use of the smart connector vs. BT connectivity as in my past experiences, BT keyboards can sometimes be laggy when first connecting or suffer from occasionally connectivity issues. Thankfully, the Zagg connects quite quickly when lifting the iPP to open it and I have yet to have it disconnect while in use. Zagg also claims up to 2 years of battery life and I haven't had to think about charging it in the month I've owned it.

Save for the weight, this keyboard is next to ideal, IMO.

3. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do some research and cogitation!

You know, MS caught hell over the early Surfaces about this very same issue. Oddly Apple hasn't seemed to be catching any for their quite expensive keyboard case for the ipp

4. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Again, thanks for the suggestion of the Zagg. Just got back from BestBuy with one in my hot hands! Very, very nice, though I wish it was a tad bit lighter. But since my usual use is sitting in my recliner, it isn't a big deal.

It is so sweet to have the angle just right for lap use. Neither the Logitech nor Apple ones would allow for that and the angle they picked was fine for table top but sucked for laptop IMO.

The keyboard is responsive and well layed out and the backlighting, with the different levels and colors is just the sugar on top.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Which model Zagg keyboard if you do not mind me asking!

6. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

The SlimLine, price is about $140. It is one of two they offer for the iPad Pro.

7. Max Your Macs macrumors member

Another vote for the Zagg. I had bounced between the Logitech and Apple keyboards for the past few months but the more I used them, the less I liked them. Got the Zagg last week and I can say, it is going to blow these other two out of the water. It is a great combination of modes and for less money than the other two. And more features to boot. Zags all the way!

8. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I have the ASK for the IPP and I also have a recliner. It works pretty good on your lap IMO. Might depend on how your recliner mechanism is coordinated.

On mine the legs elevate until they are completely elevated and then the back starts going down. Up to about 80% fully reclined I find the angle is fine. Farther than that and the screen is too angled.

9. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I really tried to like the ASK but found the angle just wrong for me. I loved the lightness of it and it is well built it seems. But the combo of the angle being wrong for me and no backlighting just make it a no go. I could have gotten it for $145 @BESTBUY as they had an open box one, so it isn't the money.

10. trek360 macrumors 6502

I'm a zagg fan. Just got mine last week from BB also. Best combination of all factors. Of course wish it could be a touch lighter but I'm ok with it and it is extremely stable. The viewing angles are fantastic. I did try and return the ASK and Logitech early on but they just didnt work for me.

11. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

A neat little trick I just found is that if you hold down the <command> key in some apps, it will pop up a little screen of keyboard shortcuts. That's pretty handy.

12. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

+1 on the Zagg Slim Book. I love this little gadget!

13. cargobrian macrumors member

cargobrian

I want to like it, but it is so damn heavy.

Will use it for a day or two then decide. Love the back lit keys and real keyboard feel.

Still have the ASK with Apple case. Have to sell them to help justify this purchase.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have returned keyboards as I have still not found anything better than the screen keyboard for laptop use.

15. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I'd suggest a laptop

tablet on the lap jus isn't ever going to be as comfortable, unless you hold in portrait

16. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Lose the Apple case and get a lighter case. I got a clear one on Amazon for $10 that weighs nothing but protects it fine and it reduced the weight of the whole package nicely.

17. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

I have a question about the Zagg Slim Book, can you adjust the iPad to any angle or is there only a certain number of predefined angles?

18. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

No, you can only open it about the same as a laptop if you want to use the keyboard. But it is any position from closed to about 135 degrees smoothly. No stops or anything.

19. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Yes, the best for the lap is a laptop.

Here is from the MacRumors review of the Zagg (for the larger iPad pro, admittedly):

"The iPad Pro on its own weighs a hefty 713 grams, or 1.57 pounds. Attached to the Zagg Slim Book, my iPad Pro weighed 1814 grams, equivalent to nearly four pounds. For comparisons sake, that's heavier than the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro and nearly as heavy as the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro, which weighs 4.49 pounds."

With this case, then why not simply buy a lighter laptop? The 12" MacBook is very lightweight, and very good for lap use.

20. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

On my lap, in a recliner watching baseball on TV. I think it's a great set-up.
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

21. mpetrides macrumors member

The ASK is too flexible (bends too far to be useable) when I sit on the couch with my feet on the coffee table. But there's an easy workaround. If I place a throw pillow under the IPP + ASK, I no longer have any trouble typing.

22. TruBleu macrumors regular

Agree...the whole bottom goes v-shaped and that's the only annoyance I have with the ASK. Tried using pillows...no use. And then managed to dig out an unused chopping board from the kitchen...no problem anymore :))

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I tried all of this and I always go back to the screen keyboard.

24. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Don't know how you guys are sitting but that just never happens when I use the ASK on my lap. It's perfectly fine.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I actually never bought a keyboard for my iPad Pro. I had a Bluetooth keyboard I thought I'd use with it, but I've ended up mostly just using the on screen keyboard. I find that to be very comfortable, especially when sitting on a sofa or in bed.