Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I like the new iPad Pro but.......

How limiting is it that there is only a single Lightning port on the iPad Pro?

Does being a 'Pro' device mean connectivity should also be just as important as CPU/GPU and memory?

I was hoping that if there were to be only a single port it would be at least USB-C. But, maybe I'm just not understanding what a Lightning ports capabilities are. Can you connect multiple devices to a single Lightning port? What need would there be to do so on a device like this?

Reactions: lugworm

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
As it stands, the iPad Pro misses too many boxes for me to actually consider it a pro device. And to make it even remotely useful as such, the price jumps almost $300 so you can get the keyboard and pencil. And you're still limited by a single input/output port (lightning) and iOS itself.

For design, illustration, data input and other similar activities is where this device will excel I think. For most other tasks it will fall short when compared to something like a Surface or Macbook.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I like the new iPad Pro but.......

How limiting is it that there is only a single Lightning port on the iPad Pro?

Does being a 'Pro' device mean connectivity should also be just as important as CPU/GPU and memory?

I was hoping that if there were to be only a single port it would be at least USB-C. But, maybe I'm just not understanding what a Lightning ports capabilities are. Can you connect multiple devices to a single Lightning port? What need would there be to do so on a device like this?

To be fair, there are two connectors. Lightning and the new "Smart Connector." I'm sure that doesn't help your complaint at all.

With this past keynote, Apple seems to have double-downed on Lightning, so maybe the future is bright for that connector/port. iPad pro does not use USB-C like some predicted after the launch of the Retina Macbook. AppleTV Remote uses Lightning. New iPhones and new iPad Minis continue to use Lightning. Apple Pencil uses Lightning. It was a big day for Lightning.

We knew from the begging that Lightning used a two-way communication. We also know that the pins can be assigned as needed by software. So in theory, the sky is the limit as to potential accessories. Too bad Apple has Lightning locked down like crazy, and no one else is able to develop Lightning accessories at this time.

Reactions: Skika and mattoligy

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
What would you connect this to? You already have fast WiFi for file transfer either by AirDrop or NAS, the dedicated connector or Bluetooth for keyboards. The FLIR IR camera connects by Lightning cable. Various medical devices connect by Lightning cable. Seems well connected.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
What would you connect this to? You already have fast WiFi for file transfer either by AirDrop or NAS, the dedicated connector or Bluetooth for keyboards. The FLIR IR camera connects by Lightning cable. Various medical devices connect by Lightning cable. Seems well connected.
I know there are SD cards with inbuilt wifi, but most people don't have them, and they're slow.. Soo.. An SD-Card reader.

I'm not one of these people who'll dismiss the iPad pro as a "pro" device, but its certainly not capable of being one's main device in many "pro" or even amateur situations. I guess Apple would rather everyone has a Mac and an iPad so they're not in a rush to make the iPads self-sufficient. :/

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
USB devices. For a "Pro" device, using the iPad Pro for presentations would be terrific if it supported presentation remotes (that often use a USB wireless receiver). The "official" answer is to use an iPhone or iPod touch to control a presentation. That is simply not a good option.

USB thumb drives. Often times clients have files stored on a thumb drive. It would be nice to simply connect it, copy the files over and be done with it.

Wifi is not always fast nor is it always present.

USB microphones. My iPad 4 could handle my Blue Yeti USB mic. Later iPads cannot (not enough power).

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
there are lightning-usb/sd readers i believe.
remember, you are not going to transfer photos to ipad pro, or any ipad, all the time, the storage is where the limit lies.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
USB devices. For a "Pro" device, using the iPad Pro for presentations would be terrific if it supported presentation remotes (that often use a USB wireless receiver). The "official" answer is to use an iPhone or iPod touch to control a presentation. That is simply not a good option.

USB thumb drives. Often times clients have files stored on a thumb drive. It would be nice to simply connect it, copy the files over and be done with it.

Wifi is not always fast nor is it always present.

USB microphones. My iPad 4 could handle my Blue Yeti USB mic. Later iPads cannot (not enough power).
1. presentations, both powerpoint and apple keynote have iphone AND apple watch controls, you dont need an extra usb remote. what? you dont have an iphone nor apple watch? apple: go get one.
2. usb thumb drives are really outdated. cloud storage is the future.
3. wifi is actually THE fastest interface on ipad. it has 867mbps maximum bandwidth, while usb2.0 based lightning only has 480. and 867mbps should be enough for most transfers, the ipad itself only has 32/128g storage, you are NOT going to transfer tens of gb's of files all the time.
4. im sure there are other mics for ios devices, really, lightning is a very well develpoed market, much better than usb-c, you can find way more accessoires from lightning market than usb-c

Reactions: M. Gustave

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
1. presentations, both powerpoint and apple keynote have iphone AND apple watch controls, you dont need an extra usb remote. what? you dont have an iphone nor apple watch? apple: go get one.
I knew that someone would respond with this. That is why I specifically said it is not a good option. I end up wondering if people actually use the things they suggest or are they simply parroting what they've heard.

I give many presentations. Using any touchscreen device as a presentation remote is just silly. Not only because of the size (walking around with an iPhone 6+) but because there's no tactile response, no physical buttons. Looking down at a touchscreen to find the "next slide" spot of the screen simply breaks up the flow. If it were such a "professional" solution Apple presenters would be using their iPhones as remotes... they don't. There's a reason.

2. usb thumb drives are really outdated. cloud storage is the future.
Did you read what I wrote? If my client has their files on a thumbdrive telling them that they are outdated is not helpful.

3. wifi is actually THE fastest interface on ipad. it has 867mbps maximum bandwidth, while usb2.0 based lightning only has 480. and 867mbps should be enough for most transfers, the ipad itself only has 32/128g storage, you are NOT going to transfer tens of gb's of files all the time.
At this point I can see that there is a total disconnect from what I wrote and what you want to say.

4. im sure there are other mics for ios devices, really, lightning is a very well develpoed market, much better than usb-c, you can find way more accessoires from lightning market than usb-c
This one doesn't even warrant a response.

If these are the best answers to the concerns as to why the iPad Pro falls short as a "pro" device then it shows that the "Pro" in "iPad Pro" has a very, very narrow definition if it is beyond anything other than a marketing tag.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I knew that someone would respond with this. That is why I specifically said it is not a good option. I end up wondering if people actually use the things they suggest or are they simply parroting what they've heard.

I give many presentations. Using any touchscreen device as a presentation remote is just silly. Not only because of the size (walking around with an iPhone 6+) but because there's no tactile response, no physical buttons. Looking down at a touchscreen to find the "next slide" spot of the screen simply breaks up the flow. If it were such a "professional" solution Apple presenters would be using their iPhones as remotes... they don't. There's a reason.

Did you read what I wrote? If my client has their files on a thumbdrive telling them that they are outdated is not helpful.

At this point I can see that there is a total disconnect from what I wrote and what you want to say.

This one doesn't even warrant a response.

If these are the best answers to the concerns as to why the iPad Pro falls short as a "pro" device then it shows that the "Pro" in "iPad Pro" has a very, very narrow definition if it is beyond anything other than a marketing tag.

Sorry don't know how to quote separately
1. That is because you r used to traditional remote. Yes, triditional remotes are "no brainier", so easy to use. But they also fall short becasue they are no brainier. What can they do besides change slides and point. With an iPhone you can see the notes, know what's coming the next, point, and draw. All these without having to turn over to face the screen.
Stuff you think is "deal breaker". First the size, it doesn't have to be a 6+, it can be any iPhone, 5, 6 or even the watch. At least 6 and 5 are just the size of my hand, I can hold them in my hand without any problem. Second, no physical button. Why do you need physical buttons? You can just tap anywhere on the screen to go to next slides, or you can just swipe left right to go forward and backward. Indeed Apple don't use it on their events, but that doesn't mean it's not good for normal situations. So iPhone connects via wifi, you know how many wifi signals are there on the event? Remember Steve jobs asked everyone to turn off their wifi or he can't demo safari on iPhone? Plus, have you seen those big TV screens facing the stage, whoever on the stage always have access to notes/preview of next slides. Do you have that in your smaller meetings? So, you are right, iPhone as a remote is not suitable for those large events, but neither is iPad pro. R u really gonna use an iPad pro on such big events? What if a notification pops up?

2. It doesn't change the fact that usb thumb drive is outdated, at the end of its life. What advantage does it have over wifi/cloud? Storage? Speed? I know you are gonna say what if you don't have Internet. Well, you have cellular, or if not, you can have wifi-direct, or whatever it's called. Internet may not be there, but wifi is always there.

3. So you have to know wifi is as fast as most usb thumb drives. I can show you screenshot of wifi transfer of speed 70+ on macs and 50+ on iPads, most usb thumb drives are about that speed, unless you pay a premium to go for those super expansive ones. But remember, the real transfer of usb drives have to be devided by 2, because the transfer has to happen twice, while wifi only need once.
No, you are wrong. Internet may not be always present, but wifi is. If you don't have Internet/cellular, then you can still transfer files via wifi. Transferring via wifi does not require Internet, it can happen inside lan.

4. The point is not usb mics, but mics, if there is no usb mics supported, then just go for a lightning mic.

Pro or not does not depend on how many ports it have

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
I do wonder now about the Lightening port. It's been said before that the only thing limiting devices from getting smaller is the ports themselves which Apple has addressed with such a small port, which is basically a USB-C-Mini I suppose. Has anyone clocked transfer speeds on the Lightening cable?
I agree however that for such a large device like this, another more useful port would be fabulous. But I don't see it being a USB-C. It was said in the keynote that the Smart Connector will power and transfer data to compatible devices, what other kind of device could be attached to that connector?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Sorry don't know how to quote separately
1. That is because you r used to traditional remote. Yes, triditional remotes are "no brainier", so easy to use. But they also fall short becasue they are no brainier. What can they do besides change slides and point. With an iPhone you can see the notes, know what's coming the next, point, and draw. All these without having to turn over to face the screen.
Stuff you think is "deal breaker". First the size, it doesn't have to be a 6+, it can be any iPhone, 5, 6 or even the watch. At least 6 and 5 are just the size of my hand, I can hold them in my hand without any problem. Second, no physical button. Why do you need physical buttons? You can just tap anywhere on the screen to go to next slides, or you can just swipe left right to go forward and backward. Indeed Apple don't use it on their events, but that doesn't mean it's not good for normal situations. So iPhone connects via wifi, you know how many wifi signals are there on the event? Remember Steve jobs asked everyone to turn off their wifi or he can't demo safari on iPhone? Plus, have you seen those big TV screens facing the stage, whoever on the stage always have access to notes/preview of next slides. Do you have that in your smaller meetings? So, you are right, iPhone as a remote is not suitable for those large events, but neither is iPad pro. R u really gonna use an iPad pro on such big events? What if a notification pops up?

2. It doesn't change the fact that usb thumb drive is outdated, at the end of its life. What advantage does it have over wifi/cloud? Storage? Speed? I know you are gonna say what if you don't have Internet. Well, you have cellular, or if not, you can have wifi-direct, or whatever it's called. Internet may not be there, but wifi is always there.

3. So you have to know wifi is as fast as most usb thumb drives. I can show you screenshot of wifi transfer of speed 70+ on macs and 50+ on iPads, most usb thumb drives are about that speed, unless you pay a premium to go for those super expansive ones. But remember, the real transfer of usb drives have to be devided by 2, because the transfer has to happen twice, while wifi only need once.
No, you are wrong. Internet may not be always present, but wifi is. If you don't have Internet/cellular, then you can still transfer files via wifi. Transferring via wifi does not require Internet, it can happen inside lan.

4. The point is not usb mics, but mics, if there is no usb mics supported, then just go for a lightning mic.

Pro or not does not depend on how many ports it have

You're way behind on usb 3.0 speeds. I routinely get 90+ megabytes per second on 'expensive' Sandisk 128gb usb 3.0 sticks that go for <$40 routinely now. Also, I download 20-30gb of 4k footage from ax100 camcorders on weddings and receptions. If I'm going to use the iPad pro as my 4k editing device where does usb 2.0 lightening or REAL wifi speeds gets me? A ton of wasted time waiting for files to move into the pro and from it after editing. This iPad pro is an amateur prosumer device due to its lack of decent I/O. If they used a usb-c port it would've been much more workable (and be able to charge must faster) than a piddly Lightning port. Next years iPad pro will likely get a usb-c port.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I do wonder now about the Lightening port. It's been said before that the only thing limiting devices from getting smaller is the ports themselves which Apple has addressed with such a small port, which is basically a USB-C-Mini I suppose. Has anyone clocked transfer speeds on the Lightening cable?
I agree however that for such a large device like this, another more useful port would be fabulous. But I don't see it being a USB-C. It was said in the keynote that the Smart Connector will power and transfer data to compatible devices, what other kind of device could be attached to that connector?

I think I remember reading Lightning is roughly equal to only USB 2.0. Not a very fast connection in light of Firewire 800, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.

Reactions: TacticalDesire

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
You're way behind on usb 3.0 speeds. I routinely get 90+ megabytes per second on 'expensive' Sandisk 128gb usb 3.0 sticks that go for <$40 routinely now. Also, I download 20-30gb of 4k footage from ax100 camcorders on weddings and receptions. If I'm going to use the iPad pro as my 4k editing device where does usb 2.0 lightening or REAL wifi speeds gets me? A ton of wasted time waiting for files to move into the pro and from it after editing. This iPad pro is an amateur prosumer device due to its lack of decent I/O. If they used a usb-c port it would've been much more workable (and be able to charge must faster) than a piddly Lightning port. Next years iPad pro will likely get a usb-c port.

don't you see that? regular usb thumb drive speed tops at around 100mb, unless there's an expansive ssd controller inside, it almost never exceed 120m
so you got 90+, what, you are actually getting 45. why? you have to copy files into usb drive, then copy it out, so twice the time, half the 'speed'. (remember, speed is not what we really care about, it's time). wifi or any other direct transfer only have to copy file once, so it may loose 20,30m on raw speed, it saves time

so you are saying you are going to transfer 20-30g files to iPad pro all the time? i don't think you every want to do this. yes, iPad pro is a 'pro', but it's an IPAD pro after all. yes, it can edit 4k videos, but its not gonna replace your iMac or mac pro, it's not a movie maker, it's an IPAD. adding a dedicate usb-c just to save you couple seconds/minutes on this occasional use? i don't think it's cost (both economically and on design) effective

as for charging speed, no one know yet, but since lightning is apple's own technology, apple can easily expand it's capacity on both speed and charging.

i don't think apple is going to give iPad a usb c anytime soon. since lightning is still 'young' and has a very well developed market already. plus, (i don't know if it's true), there may be driver issues. iOS does NOT have drivers for all your accessories, it depends on the chip inside lightning cable/connector, does usb-c have it? if you just slap a usb port onto it, how are you gonna use it, iOS devices doesn't have capacity for desktop-class driver system (or does it?). plus if you put usb onto an iOS device, apple will loose some control over iOS experience since usb is a 'public' standard. and i don't think apple is willing to do it

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I hope in future generations we get something like Thunderbolt 2 on these things. Did I hear the keynote correctly when they said that they improved the storage and memory controllers to be able to handle 3x 4k streams? All this on iMovie of all things? I haven't really done much 4k video and have been sticking to the stills realm but 3 streams sounds like a good bit of data flying back and forth. Overall I feel like the best type of connective interface we could have would be a wireless one that can get at least 10Gbps. Nothing like that exists right now like that but that would be my personal wish for upcoming future tech.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
don't you see that? regular usb thumb drive speed tops at around 100mb, unless there's an expansive ssd controller inside, it almost never exceed 120m
so you got 90+, what, you are actually getting 45. why? you have to copy files into usb drive, then copy it out, so twice the time, half the 'speed'. (remember, speed is not what we really care about, it's time). wifi or any other direct transfer only have to copy file once, so it may loose 20,30m on raw speed, it saves time

so you are saying you are going to transfer 20-30g files to iPad pro all the time? i don't think you every want to do this. yes, iPad pro is a 'pro', but it's an IPAD pro after all. yes, it can edit 4k videos, but its not gonna replace your iMac or mac pro, it's not a movie maker, it's an IPAD. adding a dedicate usb-c just to save you couple seconds/minutes on this occasional use? i don't think it's cost (both economically and on design) effective

as for charging speed, no one know yet, but since lightning is apple's own technology, apple can easily expand it's capacity on both speed and charging.

i don't think apple is going to give iPad a usb c anytime soon. since lightning is still 'young' and has a very well developed market already. plus, (i don't know if it's true), there may be driver issues. iOS does NOT have drivers for all your accessories, it depends on the chip inside lightning cable/connector, does usb-c have it? if you just slap a usb port onto it, how are you gonna use it, iOS devices doesn't have capacity for desktop-class driver system (or does it?). plus if you put usb onto an iOS device, apple will loose some control over iOS experience since usb is a 'public' standard. and i don't think apple is willing to do it

There's already a lightning to usb2.0 adapter. I use mine frequently to connect an external dac/headphone amp when listening to my shure ear plugs. I also have used it to transfer in jpg from a compact flash adapter. It works but it's super slowe compared to usb 3.0 transfers. Usb-c is designed for 20volt operation. That's how it can carry 100 watts while at only 5 amps. Lightning is currently limited to 5 volts and it would be a risk for apple to up it to 20 volts at the risk of frying iPhones etc with the wrong power adapter. Usb c is already has a standard for this. In fact my wife's rMB usb c charger charges our phones and iPads in a pinch with the right adapter. At 5 volt, you would to dump 20 amps in a very small cable/connector. That would cause a ton of heat.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Is Lightning 'upgradeable' through a firmware update or driver?

I was thinking about what was said pertaining to how new Lightning is and how Apple is using it among several devices. The fact that even with a new 'Pro' device they still went with it as a single available port while seemingly ignoring other available much faster ports strikes me that their confident of it's future use in an ever demanding environment.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA

I've experimented with using my iPhone as a remote to present from my iPad, and with using my iPad as a remote to present off of my iPhone. If you're behind a podium then presenting off of the iPad can work quite nicely. As @garyleecn mentioned, one benefit of using these devices compared with a traditional laser pointer and clicker is the ability to use a "laser pointer" just by touching around the screen, which doesn't require you to turn to your slides. (Just make sure to direct your audience's attention to the slide, since they won't have the usual cue of the presenter turning and pointing there.) Beyond the laser pointer, you can draw and write on the slides in different colors. I don't rely on laser pointers or motioning at my slides (everything I want to highlight is built in to the presentation) but these are neat options.

Regarding the lack of a physical button, garyleecn mentioned this as well, but it's worth repeating: you don't need to look at your phone. Simply swiping forward advances the slide (or to the next animation). Swiping backward will go back to the next slide. If you're not opposed to looking at your phone, know that you can also customize the view to show either slide notes or the current and "next up" slides. Your timer is right at your fingertips, as well.

I haven't used it with an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, so I don't know if the larger phone sizes make this a less comfortable option. If your hands aren't large enough to hold a Plus comfortably with one hand, I could imagine that a Plus would be too cumbersome to use in a presentation.

It can take some getting used to, but I think that the use of an iOS device as a presentation controller is far superior to the traditional clicker+laser pointer.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I agree...Very disappointing that a usb port isn't there.

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Honestly, the IPad Pro is ideal for my production studios. I have great plans for it. I still have clients bring in cassette tapes from catalogued audio. We can deal with it in the control room where we can accommodate everything from cassettes, DAT, etc..on up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.