iPad iPad Pro - larger screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jimlaing, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jimlaing macrumors newbie

jimlaing

I bet I'm not the only one that wants an iPad with a LARGER screen, not a smaller one... I have a feeling something like this (they could call it an iPad Pro) would be useful for

- graphics professionals
    - photographers
    - musicians
    - Cad/Cam designers
    - students
    - technicians
    - engineers
    - researchers

I'd say maybe 13" or 15" would be ideal. Not as portable, but for "high end" uses, and with the supposed Retina-resolution screen, alot of people could likely benefit from the extra screen 'real estate'. Students esp. grad student level, technical type texbooks (higher math, chemistry, physics, lots of other sciences) would use the higher rez and larger screen. Graphics pros would probably love a "Wacom-like" experience but on something as portable as an iPad. Photographers esp. full-time/pro photographers ... video and graphics pros ... musicians ...

It would be a pricey unit, but I paid over $800 for a 12.1" device called a MusicPadPro, which was like a big, clunky (2" thick), poor-screen iPad.

(My desire for one is for music display - the 10" iPad is adequate, but I'd love a 13" or so iPad, maybe even bigger so it could do 2 page (side-by-side) display of my music. . .

Other comments on the idea of a larger iPad?

Jim

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You may not be the only one who wants a larger iPad, but I'd be willing to bet that the total number of people who want one is still far too tiny of a market for Apple to actually ever release one.

Apple doesn't like to have extraneous models of anything. They take what sells and stick with it. Options are not their forte.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

The iPad has not enough power to be used in a pro environment in that way. It's not only a matter of screen estate.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you want something pro like that then get a MacBook pro or a high end laptop. That's my two cents on the subject :apple:

6. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

The iPad3's retina display won't actually have more screen real estate than the current iPad. Not in the traditional sense. It's still 1024x768 real estate, it just uses 4 pixels per "pixel" so that everything is sharper. The productivity gain most people associate with having a higher screen resolution doesn't correlate to what retina means or does. The usable space is the same, just sharper.

So if you made a giant iPad, it would also need to run a new resolution. And that means yet another set of graphics for app developers to support. You wouldn't want the same resolution blown up; that's just bigger text and bigger icons. That solves nothing for what you're talking about.

Most of the people wanting a smaller iPad just want everything identical, only smaller. That means same screen resolution, just shrunk. Icons and such would become physically smaller. There is no loss of real estate, you just need more precision when touching the screen. But the iPhone already has much smaller icons than the iPad, and people's fingers aren't too fat to use it accurately, so an iPad with smaller icons is clearly ok from that standpoint.

7. jimlaing thread starter macrumors newbie

jimlaing

Resolution etc.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I though the new resolution of 2048x1536 was a regular, 'real' resolution... And just like a 1080x1920 Tv can be 32inches or 42" or 50" etc, that theoretically at least, an iPad of a given resolution could be 10" or say 14". It's just that the now very tiny pixels would each be a bit bigger. Yeah, calling it 'real estate' was probably the wrong choice of words...

Jim

8. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind one that could fit a full 8.5x11" sheet on the screen. I use my iPad to read journal articles, and I find it to be *juuust* small enough to be a minor annoyance. Although some of the journals have very large margins, so I can zoom in a bit without having to scroll, but not all of them do.

But then, it would definitely be a bit less portable. I get the feeling Apple really did a lot of research to figure out the largest screen they could use that is still comfortable to carry around everywhere - but maybe as it gets lighter a slightly larger screen will feel ok?

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

As a student and artist, personally I'm okay with the current size of the iPad. I just really want an active stylus. Preferably with at least 256 degrees of pressure sensitivity.

10. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Agreed, I am a CAD user and an iPad is anemic for CAD. It is only being used to view what was created on a MUCH MORE powerful computer!

12. jimlaing thread starter macrumors newbie

jimlaing

View, not design

I should have also clarified, I didn't mean a larger screen to actually DO Cad/cam or serious design work ... I ment a bigger (and higher res) screen to allow better VIEWING of higher end content like cad/cam designs, journals, advanced textbooks, music notation...

Jim

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

The point is, in order to open a CAD project and view it you need power.
    Depending on the project, a Mac Pro can load a file in a lot of time and use a lot of power to render it.

Viewing images is ok instead. But that doesn't make that sense to me.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Don't hold your breathe...

1. iPad is already a large format tablet. Remember Kindle DX? The 9.7" large format Kindle for bigger full content like text books and periodicals ... iPad is already there.

2. Pro market is a niche market, Apple is moving away from these, and toward larger consumer oriented markets. Many I have spoken with feel iPad is too large as it is and are attracted to the 7" form factor e.g. Fire.

15. dell who? macrumors member

I think Apple may very well have it in mind to remove buttons from everything they make someday, which may lend itself to laptop-sized tablets. I'm still wagering that the iPad is probably big enough by most people's standards, but this question really revolves around the software developers. If certain programs like Photoshop and Final Cut are still being made for the Mac OS and not the iOS then larger iPads may very well emerge someday to cater to creative professionals, but this isn't a dream that I think is likely to come true. Supposedly Apple purchased the name iSlate a year or two ago, so maybe that's a subtle indication. Who knows...

16. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

I of love to have 13", sd card and I don't need anything else :)

17. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Ditto!

18. sinitesh, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

sinitesh macrumors newbie

I love the idea of an active stylus (good call). A larger screen would mean a larger housing in which to cram more processing power etc. (maybe an Ivy Bridge). This would help with the "Pro" issues of running CAD and other professional grade programs. From a software standpoint I am sure they can be streamlined and otherwise rewritten with the hardware in mind. Besides it would be more than possible to get assistance from your laptop and/or desktop with the heavier lifting via the cloud by pushing object rendering etc to designated device(s). I for one however would rather see Apple get into the head-up display market. With the growing number and popularity of augmented reality apps it only makes sense. With the right sensors any surface could be used as a touchscreen or it could even float allowing the user to determine the size of the work area which would be adjustable on the fly. That is without mentioning the awesome 3d interface. A projection device like SixthSense would be nice as well but would make a better compliment to the HUD rather than a standalone platform.

19. OJStudios macrumors newbie

I would disagree with that, I think given where CAD started from and the functionaility required to the everyday designer on the go, the ipad is definitely man enough - its down to how the program is written and how efficient it is with the hardware available. You just need a decent parametric vector based program to read the CDA drawings and be able to edit them.

I dont suggest that the ipad replace the CAD station, but considering where the ipad is used in the design process (on site, travelling etc) you will not require the full gamut of functions in a full CAD package.

We have been working on the very same thing - definitely do-able.

20. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Buy a MBP/MBA

/endthread

21. Petercbb macrumors newbie

Large screen iPad

What about the same form factor but pushing the screen out to the bezel like the iPad mini. Probably an issue with the proportions of the screen but nothing insurmountable. That would be a worthwhile improvement and hopefully they could keep the battery life the same.

22. Awakener macrumors 6502

It will not happen for iPad.
    Microsoft Surface is 10.6" (but widescreen format)
    The new Sony VAIO Tap 20 is a semi-portable that will fill a niche.

23. children macrumors regular

Not enough horsepower, and for things like CAD, a mouse is far more precise, infact, I would imagine creating plans and modelling buildings with fingers would be near impossible..

Also, even 13in is far too small for such programs, and a 15 or 17 in tablet just doesn't make sense ergonomically..

24. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

25. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I'm. Pro photographer and in our industry the standard book (portfolio) is a 11x13 print book. At almost 10" the iPad is a great replacement since I also direct so I can show clients videos as well. I primary use two iPads one for client and one for personal use. I'll be down to dropping $700 for a 13" iPad. Since I don't do anything other than showing clients my work I won't need crazy battery life or tons of processing power.

But, that being said, this is a very limited and unique desire limited to creative pros for showcasing their book.