iPad Pro loose folder case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by silverwolf0, Feb 18, 2016.

1. silverwolf0 macrumors newbie

I usually use my ipad pro naked but I want a case to loosely hold it when not in use as well as prop it up when I need it to stand. I basically want a smart cover that attaches magnetically but also has a back cover that has no sides, is flat, and doesn't snap onto the ipad pro sides. Does this exist?

2. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

S - What you are asking for seems a bit contradictory. If the Pro is loosely held, how can the case then prop it and make it stand? No case maker is going to create a case that doesn't securely hold the iPad Pro in place, especially because it's so big and relatively heavy. A case that is loosely attached invites the Pro to fall out negating the purpose of the case. A well designed case will protect the screen, back, corners and sides except where the controls and ports are.

Have you thought about a case that doesn't snap on but the Pro slides into, is flat and folds for propping up?

3. hungrypenguin macrumors member

I'm not sure if I can follow. You want a back cover which doesn't cover the sides and doesn't snap onto the iPad? Please tell me, if you find something like this ;)

Meanwhile, you could use a case where you slide your Pro into it, like Deane2000 said (maybe something like Kavaj leather cover) It's easy to get the iPad in and out of the case.

Or, you could just use the smart cover for the front and for the back side, use a film protector (just like the screen protector, but for the backside). You can find it on Amazon and I saw a few people opting for this, because they like the nakedness of their iPad.

4. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

He posted on reddit as well with a video link to show what he means. Samsung makes what is at it's essence, a case similar to a paper folder for one of their tablets (made from what looks like PU material) that the tablet clips into for typing then lays flat for transport. There is no corner protection or padding to protect the screen and I'm not sure how durable the whole this is.

I think it's cool to want something minimal but if I'm spending $1000 on a iPad, especially one as big and heavy as the Pro, I want to make sure it's protected. I'd be looking at something like this-

iPad Pro Folio

Nearly as minimal as the Samsung he's talking about but so much more durable and well made. And the extra material that is there is material that is going to protect areas like the screen, corners and sides. The idea of being able to clip the tablet in and out like they show in the video seems convenient, but I'd still have to worry about putting it down on an unclean surface and scratching up the back. A single grain of sand can destroy my $1000 investment.

It will be interesting to see if he finds what he's looking for.