Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I have an M2 12.0” iPad Pro and an Apple Keyboard. Lately I have noticed that my cursor will disappear and I cannot see where the trackpad is pointing. It doesn’t happen that often and when it does, it only seems to last a minute or two and then it comes back, but it is annoying. I haven’t been able to determine why it is happening. It doesn’t happen in any one app.

Things I have tried.
  1. Detach the keyboard and reattach it.
  2. Restart iPad.
  3. Turn iPad off and then turn it back on.
Nothing I have done fixes this problem. My iPad is on 17.2. It started happening before upgrading to 17.2 and has continued happening since.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Pierre535

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I get this once in a while. Only solution is to turn off and back on. I also occasionally get a message that his accessory is not compatible, same fix. Brought this to the Genius Bar once and was told to buy a new keyboard, REALLY!

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I get this once in a while. Only solution is to turn off and back on. I also occasionally get a message that his accessory is not compatible, same fix. Brought this to the Genius Bar once and was told to buy a new keyboard, REALLY!
Yeah. I was afraid that would be their answer. It's like a year and month old. If I had just gotten AppleCare on the iPad, the keyboard would have been covered. But alas, I forgot about it until it was too late.

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
I have an M2 12.0” iPad Pro and an Apple Keyboard. Lately I have noticed that my cursor will disappear and I cannot see where the trackpad is pointing. It doesn’t happen that often and when it does, it only seems to last a minute or two and then it comes back, but it is annoying. I haven’t been able to determine why it is happening. It doesn’t happen in any one app.

Things I have tried.
  1. Detach the keyboard and reattach it.
  2. Restart iPad.
  3. Turn iPad off and then turn it back on.
Nothing I have done fixes this problem. My iPad is on 17.2. It started happening before upgrading to 17.2 and has continued happening since.

Anyone know what might be going on?
I am seeing this randomly on my M1 iPadPro as well, since the recent software updates.

Reactions: usmaak

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
I’ve had my IPad Pro 11” (M2) for about a month now, never had any issues with the cursor appearing until this afternoon (coincidence that I then stumbled onto this thread)!

This is correlated with updating to 17.2

Who knows… Mine was resolved by a restart. I had tried waiting and detaching and replacing to no avail.

Pierre535

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
My keyboard has been doing this for 2-3 years so it isn’t related to IOS updates nor by design since I have to reboot to get the cursor back. Another incident, every so often i get a message “this accessory isn’t supported” and the cursor disappears. Sometimes it goes for months and other times after few days. Genius Bar says buy a new keyboard.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
My M1 13” with Magic Keyboard does this, think its by design Because it happens with the BT mouse as well.
I have had this keyboard and iPad for a year and a month and it’s only started happening in the last month or two. I’m not sure why this would be by design when it makes it impossible to use the keyboard until the cursor reappears. Usually it comes back after a minute or two but the last time it happened, I had to restart the iPad to get it back.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
My keyboard has been doing this for 2-3 years so it isn’t related to IOS updates nor by design since I have to reboot to get the cursor back. Another incident, every so often i get a message “this accessory isn’t supported” and the cursor disappears. Sometimes it goes for months and other times after few days. Genius Bar says buy a new keyboard.
I’m guessing that is the answer. I’ll probably bring it all to an Apple store sometime soon. It’s getting old.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have had this keyboard and iPad for a year and a month and it’s only started happening in the last month or two. I’m not sure why this would be by design when it makes it impossible to use the keyboard until the cursor reappears. Usually it comes back after a minute or two but the last time it happened, I had to restart the iPad to get it back.
I have no problem using the keyboard after the pointer disappears. Can you explain what you mean.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I have no problem using the keyboard after the pointer disappears. Can you explain what you mean.
When the pointer disappears, I cannot see where it is on the screen when I am moving it around using the trackpad. I have to use my finger until it becomes visible on its own or I restart the iPad. So while I can type, I can’t position the cursor anywhere without using my finger on the iPad screen. Because I cannot see the gray dot.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I get this occasionally. Seems to be a bug where the ipad gets confused as to whether its attached to the keyboard or not. Never found a solution but happens on and off ever since i got the magic keyboard on release day.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When the pointer disappears, I cannot see where it is on the screen when I am moving it around using the trackpad. I have to use my finger until it becomes visible on its own or I restart the iPad. So while I can type, I can’t position the cursor anywhere without using my finger on the iPad screen. Because I cannot see the gray dot.
I get that. For me it isn’t a big deal because I have a general idea of where it is and it does reappear as soon as I touch the trackpad; if yours doesn’t appear when you touch the trackpad then its a bad issue. But I do recognize that it can causes issues for people who want to know its position all the time.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I get this occasionally. Seems to be a bug where the ipad gets confused as to whether it’s attached to the keyboard or not. Never found a solution but happens on and off ever since i got the magic keyboard on release day.
I don’t think its related to the keyboard because it also happens with a BT mouse paired to a naked iPad.

Reactions: usmaak

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I get that. For me it isn’t a big deal because I have a general idea of where it is and it does reappear as soon as I touch the trackpad; if yours doesn’t appear when you touch the trackpad then its a bad issue. But I do recognize that it can causes issues for people who want to know its position all the time.
Mine generally acts this way as well. When I type, the pointer vanishes and when I move it on the trackpad, it comes back. But there are times when it just completely disappears and won’t come back. Sometimes it eventually comes back and sometimes I reboot to get it back. I have a focus on my iPad that is triggered when I open the Kindle app. It puts the iPad into low power mode, flips around my home screen so there are only a few things available, and shuts off notifications. This morning the keyboard did the same “cursor disappear“ thing and instead of fighting with it, I decided to just read for a while. As soon as I opened the Kindle app and the reading focus turned on, the cursor came back. So next time it happens, I am going to try it again and see if it works.

Reactions: darngooddesign

ManjaroBlack

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
Instead of rebooting, I found that I can:

Settings->General->Trackpad
Disable and reenable Tap To Click

Then the cursor comes back. Definitely an iPadOS issue, otherwise why would rebooting or changing a setting off and back on temporarily fix the issue.

Global_traveler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2020
Same with my 2017 iPad Pro. Cursor randomly hides. Rolling my Magic Mouse around a bit causes it to reappear. This is a known bluetooth issue. Maybe future hardware and software will be up to par. This shouldn’t be such a mess from Apple! Getting a new Mac Mini to connect to the monitor, and maybe a new iPad Air this year, but I’m done trying to use an iPad with a screen.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I've noticed that it seems to happen most frequently when I leave the iPad open and it shuts off (I have my time out set to something like five minutes). It does happen randomly as well, but it seems a bit more than just random when it times out. Maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.