iPad Pro + MacBook Air combo?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fate0311, Dec 17, 2018.

1. fate0311 macrumors 6502a

In addition remember the iPad can do all the stuff the Air has the performance gap with.

Thoughts?

2. yeahtyeaht macrumors 6502

yeahtyeaht

If you want to buy both I would buy the Air with the normal iPad 2018, not the pro. But if you want to buy one of these devices, it would be good to know for what you will use the device

3. ericwn macrumors 68030

Are you replying to an existing discussion or is this a question wether this combination of devices makes sense?

4. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Personally I find the combination of the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro great. The Air would be too "similar" for me.

5. BaddAdvice macrumors regular

BaddAdvice

I was in the same boat, but went a different route (thanks to a few posters here) - Mac Mini vs. a MacBook (Air or Pro). To me, the iPad is too similar to a laptop. So, now I have the best of both worlds and save a few bucks in the process!

6. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I think this is the winner (not that I’ve found that I have enough uses for a Mac to make the purchase [I’m iPP-only—no “computer”]—but I covet this setup). The IPP is just so amazing for being out and about or for travel, that I have no desire for a laptop. But having a Mac Mini at home for anything that isn’t ideal on an IPP would be great.

7. Mainsail macrumors 65816

Personally, I would only buy an iPad Pro if it replaced my need to carry around a laptop. I am not saying that an iPad can do everything a laptop can do or visa versa for that matter. I am simply saying that I would only buy an iPad Pro if it satisfied essentially all of my mobile computing requirements. The iPP is a very expensive machine, and you wouldn't want to carry it and a laptop around everywhere.....that would be a hassle. So, assuming your mobile computing needs are satisfied by the iPP, it seems like a desktop Mac would be the logical choice, so you have access to full MacOS for those projects that require heavy lifting back at the office (or home or home office).

8. Wags macrumors 65816

I get it. Still just can’t do everything with iPad/iOS. So how much of a device needed to run macOS. Guess depends on what needed that ipad can’t handle or when prefer to use macOS.

9. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

10. sza Suspended

iPad is for entertainment. MacBook Air gets your work done. Get both!