Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don't have an iPad pro, but this is THE iPad split keyboard would excel on.... can't believe they would leave it out.

I doubt you'll see it come back. The best part for me about the Pro is the huge keyboard. Almost feels like typing on a full-size touch keyboard. Keyboard splitting would remove this feel. That said, I can understand if some of you want it. I just... don't. :)

Reactions: MacGurl111

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I wonder if they are concerned that a split on-screen keyboard may influence customers to not by the smart keyboard...

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I doubt you'll see it come back. The best part for me about the Pro is the huge keyboard. Almost feels like typing on a full-size touch keyboard. Keyboard splitting would remove this feel. That said, I can understand if some of you want it. I just... don't. :)

If I had the iPad Pro on a desk flat I can see that the split mode might now be big deal. But propped up I'm not so sure my small hands could benefit.

joshualindley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2015
Portland,Oregon
I really hope they will bring it back as an option. I spent a whole day with this in the mall, eating out, at stores, in the car, etc. Unfortunately I found myself MANY times needing to type with the split keyboard. It's impossible to hold with two hands landscape and type.. I do a much better job with a split.

I'm sure everybody is right though.. they want you to use the keyboard.. or imagine you using it full screen. This is the one downfall with Apple.. lack of options. However, after using a Surface Pro 4 for the last few weeks the iPad is WAY better for the lack of options.

Hopefully it will return! Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: chasonstone

joshualindley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2015
Portland,Oregon
I posted my video review of the iPad Pro to the channel and voiced my frustrations with no split screen. Hopefully it will come back! It's seriously my biggest gripe about the iPad Pro.

Reactions: Rmonster

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
I posted my video review of the iPad Pro to the channel and voiced my frustrations with no split screen. Hopefully it will come back! It's seriously my biggest gripe about the iPad Pro.

I for one liked the video a lot. You gained a new follower because of this post. ;) That being said maybe it's a bug for the split screen. I to ordered one and was hoping that would be added. Blink keyboard could be an option. They have split screen as an option I believe. Might want to take a look and see. Keep up the good work. Will be looking forward to other videos you plan on posting.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I'm not sure what they were thinking when they omitted the split keyboard. With the reachability features on iPhone 6s and 6s+, it's hugely surprising for iPad pro that they didn't include it.

joshualindley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2015
Portland,Oregon
I for one liked the video a lot. You gained a new follower because of this post. ;) That being said maybe it's a bug for the split screen. I to ordered one and was hoping that would be added. Blink keyboard could be an option. They have split screen as an option I believe. Might want to take a look and see. Keep up the good work. Will be looking forward to other videos you plan on posting.
Thanks! I appreciate your comments. I'll check out Blink keyboard! I had some bad luck with third party keyboards when they first came out but haven't revisited it in a while so maybe something like that will work. I definitely like the iOS keyboard better than the Surface Pro keyboard.

Reactions: ShawnTXDFW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.