iPad Pro Not Backing Up or Updating Apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gmouse, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Gmouse macrumors regular

I have the original iPad Pro with the keyboard cover, and latest version of iOS. It sits on a table, always plugged in, connected to my home WiFi, with the keyboard cover closed (to protect the screen). Each time when I open the cover I'm greeted with a message that it hasn't done a backup in x days, and I typically have several dozen apps needing to be updated.

I thought that when charging and connected to WiFi it was supposed to both backup and update apps? If this is not the case, what do I need to do to have it do these things automatically?

Note: My iPhone 7+ has no such problems.

Thanks.

2. ericwn macrumors 65816

For iCloud backups, can you check if you can run it manually? Maybe that gets the process going. Have a look at Settings/iCloud/Backup. Best success!

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You need to check your settings and make sure you have the iCloud backup turned on.

I update my apps manually when one come available as it reminds me to get rid of the apps the update too often! Some apps like eBay I always delete when not selling something.

4. millydog macrumors regular

millydog

Automatic backups to iCloud are controlled with a setting. Go to Settings, iCloud, Backup and ensure iCloud Backup it turned on.
    Automatic App updates are a different setting. Go to Settings, iTunes & App Store, then ensure Updates is on. The Apps switch can optionally be turned on. Use that if you purchase apps on a separate device and also want the apps to automatically download to the iPad Pro.

5. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Same thing has happened to mine the past month or so.
    Backup is on, plugged in, connected to wifi. I wonder if it drops a wifi connection when sleeping? Because the other thing I've noticed is a barrage of old text msgs being delivered to my iPad when I wake it up.

6. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

Are you connected to a 5GHz network? I thought I read a bug report somewhere that there were issues with iOS 10 dropping connections to 5GHz networks, but I have not personally been affected by it.

7. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

8. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

If you haven't already, try rebooting the router and resetting network settings on the iPad. Hasn't happened to me, but there seem to be a lot of apple support discussions about it. Hope this helps