Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Does that mean many of you did not bring MacBook Pro with you on the trip? I am curious if I should bring my rMBP with me when I buy iPP 2 this year?

Er, nobody knows yet. By the time iPP 2 is out, it'll be on iOS 10, and nobody knows what functions that will bring. Also, we need to know what you use the MBP for, and if you need to do those things while on your trip.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Er, nobody knows yet. By the time iPP 2 is out, it'll be on iOS 10, and nobody knows what functions that will bring. Also, we need to know what you use the MBP for, and if you need to do those things while on your trip.

I am doing Photoshop, Keynote, and FCPX on my rMBP most of the time. Tablet (Air 2 and LG G Pad F 8.0) for watching Netflix/movie, tweeting, and update status on FaceBook.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I am doing Photoshop, Keynote, and FCPX on my rMBP most of the time.

Okay, so unless something change in iOS 10, and/or Adobe and Apple release iPad versions of Photoshop and Final Cut, you'll need to bring your MacBook if you want to use those programs while on your trip.

Reactions: lk400

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Okay, so unless something change in iOS 10, and/or Adobe and Apple release iPad versions of Photoshop and Final Cut, you'll need to bring your MacBook if you want to use those programs while on your trip.

There is iMovie for iOS version but not sure if it will compatible with desktop version of FCPX?

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Does that mean many of you did not bring MacBook Pro with you on the trip? I am curious if I should bring my rMBP with me when I buy iPP 2 this year?
No I had it with me. 5 hour flight so I used it to watch a few movies but with the seats as close together as they were on an Economy Airline the keyboard was very close to my stomach. I could have typed but it would have been a bit awkward or uncomfortable. Then again my legs were awkward and uncomfortable too and I'm not tall at all.

Reactions: Badrottie

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

No one knows if they'll even release an iPad Pro 2 this year. I personally think it's highly unlikely. It won't need any spec upgrades only 1 year in. I'm fairly confident that they won't release the 2 until 2017 and are shifting to a 2 year cycle on all iPads. (mini 4 + pro last year, air 3 this year, mini 5 + pro 2 next year. And so on.)

That way Pro gets the latest iPad tech first, Air gets those updates the year after and the Mini gets them the year after the Air. This seems to be what they set up for last year. The pro was all new with new tech and features, 4 speakers, screen tech, smart connector. The Mini was updated to Air 2 levels (1 year after the Air 2.) This year the air 3 looks to be getting updated to Pro tech (not quite a year after but still the same idea) 4 speakers, smart connector and still the unknown of the new screen to support the Pencil.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No one knows if they'll even release an iPad Pro 2 this year. I personally think it's highly unlikely. It won't need any spec upgrades only 1 year in. I'm fairly confident that they won't release the 2 until 2017 and are shifting to a 2 year cycle on all iPads. (mini 4 + pro last year, air 3 this year, mini 5 + pro 2 next year. And so on.)

That way Pro gets the latest iPad tech first, Air gets those updates the year after and the Mini gets them the year after the Air. This seems to be what they set up for last year. The pro was all new with new tech and features, 4 speakers, screen tech, smart connector. The Mini was updated to Air 2 levels (1 year after the Air 2.) This year the air 3 looks to be getting updated to Pro tech (not quite a year after but still the same idea) 4 speakers, smart connector and still the unknown of the new screen to support the Pencil.

That could be. Although, the Pro itself might not need an update, but the Pencil and Smart Keyboard do. They both have a number of niggling points that could be better. Like the keyboard could use backlights, and the Pencil needs a way to clip or stick onto things, and that Pencil cap needs a better way not to get lost.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That could be. Although, the Pro itself might not need an update, but the Pencil and Smart Keyboard do. They both have a number of niggling points that could be better. Like the keyboard could use backlights, and the Pencil needs a way to clip or stick onto things, and that Pencil cap needs a better way not to get lost.

I don't use the Smart Keyboard. I plan to eventually get the new Magic Keyboard because I prefer the keyboard to not be attached. For me it offers more flexibility being able to position the keyboard wherever I like, separate from the iPad Pro. But it's definitely an oversight to not have backlit keys on it the Smart Keyboard and I'm sure has a huge lead as the #1 requested feature for it.

As for the Pencil. I'm sure I saw someone post somewhere some sleeves you can get for $15 that are magnetic and will allow the Pencil to "clip" to the bezels. I bet we'll also see 3rd party caps eventually too (kinda shocked I haven't heard of or seen any yet.)

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Why the big deal about backlit keyboard? It makes no differnce to me. I touch type and never have to look at the keyboard anyway. A backlight will just be a faster battery drain.

Even if you dont' touch type it's really not that hard to learn. I spent about 2 weeks a number of years back using Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing program and then just forced myself to stop staring at the keyboard and looking at the screen instead. You can train yourself to do this pretty easily.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
The 2lb rule appears to be more safety related than device interference with electronic equipment. They picked a relatively low number on the off chance that during take off or landing the owner loses control of it and it accelerates down the aisle towards another passenger. A device weighing less than 2lb is a lot less likely to do damage than say a 5lb or 8lb laptop.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/travel/faa-airplane-electronics-update/
[doublepost=1455024668][/doublepost]
Why the big deal about backlit keyboard? It makes no differnce to me. I touch type and never have to look at the keyboard anyway. A backlight will just be a faster battery drain.

Even if you dont' touch type it's really not that hard to learn. I spent about 2 weeks a number of years back using Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing program and then just forced myself to stop staring at the keyboard and looking at the screen instead. You can train yourself to do this pretty easily.

I agree with you. Backlit keyboards aren't a necessity. That is the reason for the raised intentions on the F and J keys to line up your fingers on the keyboard anyway. From there you should be able to type from memory. Additionally there is a giant 12" light directly in front of you that will light up your keyboard from above heh

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why the big deal about backlit keyboard? It makes no differnce to me. I touch type and never have to look at the keyboard anyway.

I agree with you. Backlit keyboards aren't a necessity. That is the reason for the raised intentions on the F and J keys to line up your fingers on the keyboard anyway. From there you should be able to type from memory.

I do know how to touch type, but would like backlit keyboard for those times when I'm hunting for a less used key, like the symbol keys and function keys.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I really hope the Pro doesn't get updated this year.
I feel that way about my 2014 SUV. Every year since I bought it I hope there is no massive body update to make it look completely different than mine tempting me to buy the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.