iPad pro or macbook pro for my use case?

harleaquinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2020
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the forums and have a question for you all. My 15" MacBook pro is almost six years old and while it still works well I'm considering upgrading in the next few months.

I use the pro mostly for RAW photo editing using Affinity photo; making spreadsheets and slideshows for work, and standard internet stuff. I will occasionally edit videos as well, but it's not part of my regular workflow. I also need to transfer files pretty regularly to Windows environments with USB sticks

I travel a fair amount for work, and the 15" pro is just a little too big for comfortable plane travel.

I'm looking at the 13" models of iPad pro and MacBook pro and I'm not sure what will work better for me. The iPad is a lot more portable and cheaper, which makes it pretty attractive. With a stylus and external keyboard I think it will work beautifully for most of the things I need it for. I'm just not sure how well it will handle heavy photo editing, or how friendly it is with external hard drives and other storage media like SD cards and USB sticks.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What do you think is the better option for what I need to do? Thanks in advance for your help.

Redhead101

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the forums and have a question for you all. My 15" MacBook pro is almost six years old and while it still works well I'm considering upgrading in the next few months.

I use the pro mostly for RAW photo editing using Affinity photo; making spreadsheets and slideshows for work, and standard internet stuff. I will occasionally edit videos as well, but it's not part of my regular workflow. I also need to transfer files pretty regularly to Windows environments with USB sticks

I travel a fair amount for work, and the 15" pro is just a little too big for comfortable plane travel.

I'm looking at the 13" models of iPad pro and MacBook pro and I'm not sure what will work better for me. The iPad is a lot more portable and cheaper, which makes it pretty attractive. With a stylus and external keyboard I think it will work beautifully for most of the things I need it for. I'm just not sure how well it will handle heavy photo editing, or how friendly it is with external hard drives and other storage media like SD cards and USB sticks.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What do you think is the better option for what I need to do? Thanks in advance for your help.
The iPad Pro doesn't currently and has never come in a 13" size at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.