iPad Pro! + Other iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nicolaselhani, Nov 17, 2015.

1. nicolaselhani macrumors newbie

Hello,

I currently own an iPad Air.

I am soon going to buy the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil.

I use my iPad for two main reasons: Reading and Artwork.

I used to do both on my iPad Air.

Since the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil came out, it's a no brainer to get that for the Artwork.

The reading part is divided into 3 sections: eBooks (mainly text), PDF's (mainly imaged-based Art books) and magazines (Zinio).

Of those 3 sections, the majority of my time is spent reading the eBooks. And that is done usually in Bed. Sometimes on a couch/chair. And on long-haul trips.

My concern is that the iPad Pro will be too big for the Reading part. Both visually as the text will be very spread out. And physically, while lying down in bed and a plane for example.

I am definitely getting the iPad Pro with the Apple pencil for the Artwork.

But my question is, for the Reading, do you think:
    a. I should keep my iPad Air and use that for Reading?
    b. I should sell my iPad Air and buy an iPad Mini, since it's more suited for eBooks (even though not great for illustrated books and magazines)?
    c. I should just use my iPad Pro for both the Artwork and the Reading.

And why?

Thanks,

Nick

2. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Only reason to keep your other iPad after owning a Pro is for a back up. The pro is big but it is still thin and very portable. My 128gb Air 2 is now my back-up. You can never have too many iPads.

3. SBruv macrumors 6502

Backup in what sense? You mean in case something goes wrong with the Pro?

4. jonnyb macrumors 65816

iPad Pro plus iPad mini 4 for me. The mini is for quickly grabbing for a short time for something consumery and morning/bedtime. iPad Pro for work and extended couch surfing.

5. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

If your ebooks are mostly kindle compatible then I would buy a Kindle. As a device for simply reading text it knocks any iPad out of the park.

One of my main uses for my iPad, which encouraged me to buy my Pro, is reading comics and technical manuals. Both of these tend to be A4-ish in size and include images. The Pro is far superior, if you are using an app which can take advantage of the greater number of pixels. Non-optimised apps just scale the screen up and it looks a bit fuzzy.

I have an Air 1, and I am currently undecided about what to do with it. If, in a month, I never feel the need for a smaller form factor, then I will either give it to my wife (she currently has an iPad Mini) or sell it if she doesn't want it.

So far the Pro is vastly superior whilst still having an acceptable level of portability.

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Keep the Air for a while, use it how you please. When you realise you're hardly using it anymore because the Pro replaced it. It's time to get some of your investment into the Pro back by selling the Air to someone

7. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I dont need to sell my Air 2 but I hate having multiple device, it makes me anxious when I do not use them or I have to figure out a use for them. So the Air2 is going out and that money going towards something else, like my yoga teaching certificate, or debt.

8. daniel1948 macrumors 6502

daniel1948

I really thought the iPad Pro would be the wrong device for reading. But I am finding that IF I am sitting in my easy chair, or propped up in bed with the bolster, I can set the iPad Pro on my lap very comfortably. The smart cover can be folded to tilt the tablet up slightly, and once I get the lighting set just right, not too bright and not too dim, reading Kindle books on the iPad Pro is actually more enjoyable than reading them on my Kindle DX or on my iPad Air. And for reading a magazine it's perfect because the mag shows up basically real size, or I can zoom in to make the typeface larger.

If I am sitting in a hard-backed chair, then it's awkward to use the iPP.

For travel I'm still undecided. If I'm going to be sitting in a waiting room at the doctor's, or waiting for a haircut, then I much prefer the iPad Mini. I don't yet know if I'll take the Pro when I travel, because it is awkward. In the easy chair it's perfect. But holding it while using it, it's heavy.