Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
If you set the iPad into landscape orientation on a table, but then sit at one of the short ends, can you actually hear high-pitched and low-pitched sounds coming from different speakers at that end? Is the pitch separation really noticeable, or does it sound balanced, like you're simply getting the left or right channel?

If you have a sound file or a song where a distinct sound or melody goes from low to high pitch or the other way around, that'd be a great way to test this.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you set the iPad into landscape orientation on a table, but then sit at one of the short ends, can you actually hear high-pitched and low-pitched sounds coming from different speakers at that end? Is the pitch separation really noticeable, or does it sound balanced, like you're simply getting the left or right channel?

If you have a sound file or a song where a distinct sound or melody goes from low to high pitch or the other way around, that'd be a great way to test this.

From the Apple site:

"No matter how you turn it, you’ll want to turn it up.
With a high-fidelity speaker in each corner, iPad Pro creates a rich, wide, and detailed soundstage. It automatically adjusts the orientation of the high frequencies to the topmost speakers, no matter how you’re holding it. So whether you’re playing a game or watching a movie, you — and your ears — will be completely immersed."

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I know all this.

What I'm asking is if the pitch-difference is noticable in actual use when listening to just the left or right speaker pair.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
I know all this.

What I'm asking is if the pitch-difference is noticable in actual use when listening to just the left or right speaker pair.

Actually if you put your ear right next to the right hand side speaker, you will hear the following sound - it's very, very faint and subtle but you will have to pay attention and you'll hear: "return the iPad"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.