iPad Pro Owners: Mini Tablet Companion?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sport73, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Sport73 macrumors member

Sport73

Thinking about whether or not to pick up an iPad Mini 4 on sale, or even just get something cheap like the Amazon Kindle, as a second tablet and companion to my iPad Pro. I haven't had any issues with the Pro's size overall, and use it everywhere, but there are times where I know it would be easier to kick back in bed with an Air, Mini, or some cheap tablet.

Anyone considering or already pull the trigger on the same? Curious how your use cases define which tablet you reach for, and whether or not it's a waste of money to spend the extra $$$ on an iPad Mini (just to stay in the same universe of apps, browser, media etc.) or if a Kindle is the way to go for a lot less $$$ (Fire HD 8?) Or if because I love my Pro so much if either is a waste and I should just stick to a single device (in addition to the iPhone 6s Plus, which I somehow never seem to use for consumption as I do a tablet).

Thanks!

2. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

Im a Mini 3 owner who bought and Returned the Pro. I really like the Pro, but I felt it was $100 overpriced, so when a sale happens, hopefully soon, I will rebuy it.

Anyway my experience when I had both was this. Pro is superior on the couch, Mini is best on the Bed. If you have the money I would say get a mini 4. However if you don't have much money, try to get a Mini 2 or Mini 3 if you can get it cheap, like $200 cheap.

3. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

There is no reason to get another smaller iPad if you have the Pro. Trust me, you really not going to use it, unless you have some specific things you want to do with the smaller one.

4. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

Why do you need a Pro and a Mini? Do you have an iPhone? To me, the iPhone 6/6s Plus makes having an iPad mini unnecessary.

5. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

The size of the iPP precludes using it in bed comfortably. You don't have the air2 anymore?

Your call on whether to get another Apple tablet or a cheap Android one. If it's just for web-browsing, then get a Kindle 8. You could do worse.

6. jamesrick80 Suspended

jamesrick80

This is the exact reason why everyone should only own the iPad Air 2, the best of both worlds.......and wait till the Air 3.....the main purpose of tablets is portability...are we heading back to owning 17 inch laptops like back in the day....I hope not

7. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

there are use cases for the iPP...that's why Apple makes 3 different sizes. pick the one that works best for you.

8. Mike B in ok macrumors member

Mike B in ok

This.

But if you mostly want to browse, watch Amazon video, or play simple games, an inexpensive android tablet or one of the Amazon fire tablets is about as good, and a lot cheaper than a Mini 4. But of course you will not have access to the Apple ecosystem, especially videos or music. The mini 2 is also an option, it is inexpensive, but I found I missed the fingerprint scanner, and I noticed the teeny bit of lag.

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Well, I use a mini 4 and Pro, guess I am in the minority.

10. StE823 macrumors member

iPad Pro and Sony z3 compact tablet...

Was never an android user, but I can load all my TV shows in the 128gb microSD... And also I use it for work... (It's also super light, much lighter than my old ipad mini 2)

11. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

Those tablets are nothing like as good as a mini 4. The screen on the mini 4 alone justifies the price.

12. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I use mine comfortably in bed. I don't know why it would be anything but? I can hold it over my head. I can prop it up using the Smart Cover as a stand. I can lay down on my side with it. Doesn't feel much different than my iPad Air 2 did. Unless you have weak girlie arms or something

13. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

or maybe not use tech in bed. put it away and give your brain a rest. read a real book. or do something else......

we dont even have a tv in our bedroom

14. cardfan macrumors 65816

I had around 3 ipads at one time for a bit. Kiddos used one. It can get old keeping them all updated. I would only take the ipad pro (if i still had it) on trips where I'll be gone more than a day. For just running around though, the iphone is more than ok. At home, I'd always grab the Pro first over a Mini. At night, I'll use iphone in bed to read an ebook usually.

I've already done the "get a cheap kindle or android tablet for the kids instead" thing. It didn't work out well. I didn't even want to mess with it anymore after spending time setting it up. It's just not worthwhile. The UI on a kindle fire, at least way back when, was garbage.

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I also have a mini 4 and an iPad Pro. The Pro gets by far the most use lately but there are times when the mini is convenient.

While the iPhone 6 Plus would probably serve as an alternative in those situations, I had one and found it too big as a phone to carry around daily. Loved it as a device but just not quite comfortable my pocket, so I found myself carrying it in my hand most of the time, something I'd prefer not to do.

If you like iPhone 6 Plus-sized devices, then an iPP and that would be fine. But for me, I like the Pro/mini combo.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

A lot of people think the iPad Pro is too larger to handle when reclining on bed. I don't see any problem, as I just use a pillow to prop it up. I have an iPad Air 2, but haven't touch it since I got the Pro. I also don't see how it would be any more awkward to carry around than a MacBook Air 13, which is bigger than heavier.

17. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Basically it works out like this in people's minds.

13inch MacBook Air with keyboard permanently attached=omg I love it it's so portable!
    Super thin 12inch tablet= omg this thing is so unwieldy!

Glad I didn't buy into all that crap. Love my iPad pro. Can't imagine anything smaller now

18. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

I see your point, but to be fair, you don't have to hold a laptop (I think that's where the unwieldy part is coming from, you are holding the almost 13 inch tablet). Most people are using it on their lap or at a desk or table. You don't have to hold it up for a long period of time like a tablet. You can certainly make due with a case or propping it up, etc., but it still isn't easier to hold for a long time than a laptop. Love the Pro though, been going back and forth with whether or not I should sell my Air 2 and get one. Portability is the thing holding me back.

19. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

When I had the iPad Air 2 I was in that same position. Wanted to give the pro a try but was SERIOUSLY concerned about portability. Almost didn't go pro....then decided **** it. I'm bored. I wanna try something new so I bought one and saved the receipt totally ready to return it if it was too much. Took me 15 minutes to get used to the size and now I can't imagine having anything smaller. The experience was basically the exact same as when I went from an iPhone 5 to a 6. I thought the bigger screen would be too much and wouldn't fit in my pockets as well. Now I can't imagine going any smaller.

Perspective changes. I can hold the iPad pro just fine over my head when reading. You get used to it and then see people complaining and kinda scoff like "they think This is big? Totally manageable"

20. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Your perspective is very helpful as the size difference has been the only thing holding me back. Do you feel using the Pro is a much different experience overall than the Air 2? Worth the large price difference? I know the Pro is very future proof so I don't see pulling the trigger now as an issue.

21. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Having a 6s Plus is a pretty good use of a consumption device. It's known as a "phablet" for a reason, I have a 6s Plus along with having a iPad Pro.. It's certainly enough for me.

I can easily get by watching videos or surfing the web on the 6s Plus, but if YOU feel that's not enough.. Go for it. In the end, it's you that has to make the decision what's best for YOU.

22. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

In a word...YES. It's hard to really put into words how wildly different the experience is. It just sounds like another BS testimonial from an Apple fanboy or something, but I'll try to give you my experience.

When I had my iPad Air 2 I was happy. It was fine. But I used it more...passively. I might lounge with it on the couch and Reddit for a bit and browse a couple sites, but I never really sat down and was engaged by the content I was looking at. I didn't realize it at the time, but the screen size was holding me back from taking it seriously as a full time usage device. Just like my experience with going from an iPhone 5 to a larger sized iPhone 6, I was VERY reluctant to get a pro. I mean...REALLY. I was making threads on Reddit asking about portability and talking to people about it and kept going back and forth on whether I thought I could deal with it because I kept reading so damn much about people saying it was "unwieldy" and that had me so worried I almost just called it off. Wasn't gonna buy one.

Then for some reason curiosity just got the best of me so I picked one up while I was at the mall and brought it home. Upon taking it out of the box there's that initial shock of "holy crap this thing is big". But that feeling went away after just a few minutes of playing with it because really, the only reason we think "holy crap this thing is big" is because we think in terms of comparisons. The last device I used was an air 2, so I compared it to that. Had my last device been my 15inch retina MacBook, it would feel extremely portable. Perspective changes. After I got used to it and then picked up my iPad Air 2, the air 2 felt like a toy in comparison. It sounds funny, but I felt like I couldn't even see anything on the air because the screen was so small. It's like getting used to big screen tv's and then going down to a crappy standard def 13 inch tv. You've gotten used to a nicer viewing experience and you don't want to settle for any less. Have you seen the screen on an iPhone 4 lately? Did you feel that shock of "oh wow. I can't remember I used something so small for all of my needs"? Me too. That's the feeling I get with the air 2 now. So I sold my air 2 and my pro is my go to device.

And to give perspective...why do we have iPads? Remember when they first came out and people referred to them as "just a big iPod touch"? The reason we have them is because the extra screen space allows us more freedom to do more. It's almost like being released from the confines of a cage or something. Reading is better, browsing is better and split screen was absolutely MADE for this iPad. I have never once since I've had it thought "man. This thing is too big to haul around". Ever. I read in bed. I take it to work with me and play with it when I get some down time. I've taken it to the dealership when my car was being worked on. I'm more likely to pick it up and be truly immersed in my content. I've never read so many books/magazines, written so much or watched so many movies on an iPad before. I'm getting more bang for my buck because I'm USING my device more. Whereas my air 2 was "nice" because it was a little more convenient to use than my MacBook Pro.

I've been remoting into my Mac through this and doing some programming. I never did that with my air. I've been editing videos for the first time on my iPad pro. Never did that with my air. My usage habits have changed so much for the better because of this thing. When I can finally get my hands on an Apple pencil, I'll be using this for all of my note.

And ya know the weirdest thing? I've shown my iPad to a lot of people. My coworkers, my daughter, etc. NOBODY has been disgusted with its size. My 11 year old daughter is in love with my pro and has had the same perspective change as I've had. Now she's all talking about "when you get the pro 2 next year I can have your hand me down iPad pro right? It's so nice!". Yeahhhh I don't know about that. This sucker will last me quite awhile if I want it to. My girlfriend never talked about iPad pro ANYTHING until I got one. The night I brought mine home, she kept taking it out of my hands and then after about an hour started ignoring me because she was so busy putting an ad up on Craigslist for her air 2 so she could get a pro also. Now she has a gold one.

I made this a bit long. Oops! Must be that full sized keyboard I like typing on so much!

Attached Files:

23. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I've thought about getting a smaller iPad, but I doubt that I will. At least, not this year. If and when they add Pencil support to the smaller iPads, I'll consider getting one then.

And, call me crazy, but I might get the regular iPad, haha.

24. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Wow, thank you so much for all of the detail. That really helps me understand how the overall experience is different from the Air 2. I think I am going to go for it. I have some gift cards to use and hopefully it won't be too much more once I sell my Air 2. Do you always use it caseless or did you get one of the new Apple cases?

25. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I've had it caseless since I've gotten it and just yesterday bought a Smart Cover. I would highly recommend getting at least this. Really helps with typing positions and such. Have a keyboard cover on order too. Glad my post helped you. Come back and share your experience when you get one. I'd be interested to hear it