iPad Pro -- paper replacer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by profmatt, Nov 13, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm a home tutor. I get through a lot of paper during my lessons each day. The students take the notes away with them, so I don't have a copy. Sometimes I've drawn an amazing diagram or something and wished I'd kept a copy.

From what I've seen, I can image the iPad Pro replacing paper for me. I'd do the notes on the iPad. I'd be able to keep a copy for myself and I'd be able to built up a complete set of the notes I've made for each student. I could maybe print the notes out, or simply send them to my student as a PDF (or whatever), which they could then view on their own iPad (not necessarily a Pro, of course).

I'm holding off buying the Pro now, though. First, I only just bought a iPad Air 2. Second, I think the iPad Pro 2 will be the killer device. There are too many niggly details (hardware as well as software) that I don't like about the Pro, e.g. the Pencil doesn't have a clip and doesn't magnetically attach to the iPad. (Of course I've often claimed I'm going to hold off on buying the latest Apple product, only to change my mind ten minutes later!)

2. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I'm hoping for this to be a use case for the Pro that I have, but Pencils are on backorder so the jury's out.

While I agree with you that the next iPad Pro will likely be a killer device (I hope it's lighter!), I wouldn't expect to see a new Pencil anytime soon. I expect that it'll be like Apple's other accessories, which means getting updates far less frequently than the products that they're used with.

3. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Taking notes that I'll never lose is also the main draw for me. I use moleskin notebooks now but I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to read my notes but couldn't because I didn't have my notebook with me. With the iPad pro, I could access my handwritten notes notes on my iPhone. Awesome

Also, do you know how hard it is too find a specific note you took weeks ago when flipping through 200 paper pages? It seems like there should eventually be some kind of search for handwritten notes. Even by date ranges would help.

4. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I'd wait for better software support - it's going to take time for iOS apps to catch up and fully utilize the Apple Pencil.

Also the iPad Pro is kind of heavy / difficult to handle if you plan to hold it up very often. Well you can get one now, but I'm looking forward to an iPad Pro "Air".

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If I ever get my Pencil, then yes, the iPP will be replacing a pad of paper for me in meetings. Notes will go right in to Evernote or OneNote.