iPad iPad Pro/Plus footprint?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by puma1552, Nov 1, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

12.2 inches compared to 9.7 sounds much more manageable and appopriate than th previously rumored 12.9.

So I got to thinking, take a current Air 2 (or even an old iPad 4 which has a larger footprint), and how much larger do you think the footprint would actually be, especially if Apple trimmed down the bezels for the pro?

I think the footprint could be a lot more smaller/manageable than it sounds. I don't see Apple releasing this without trimming the bezels.

Thoughts?

2. claudio7ita macrumors newbie

looking at new air 2 I think the Pro will be more manageble than the Surface pro 3 and also of iPad 4, my question is when can we expect the coming on market.
    And the actual app for iPad will be suitable for the Pro without a license upgrade.

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

The other thing to take into consideration is a change in aspect ratio. Wider makes more sense for having split screen apps, and also decreases the overall footprint. For instance, using a 16:10 ratio might make more sense for creatives. It gives space for toolbars and boxes next to the image you're working on, and it also allows for better use of split screen multitasking. Additionally (someone please check my math, I'm just a designer), at 12.2" a 4:3 ratio has about 7% bigger surface area than a 16:10 ratio. Attached is my quick mockup. Here I'm only showing display sizes, no bezels. Even so I'm surprised that the 12.2" size doesn't seem significantly bigger, especially at a 16:10 ratio. I would buy the hell out of a 16:10 iPad Pro.

Attached Files:

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

People said that about the iPhone 6/6+ as well, but apparently the bezels are "iconic" now. I wouldn't expect the first generation to have a unique form factor to be honest. Could be wrong of course, hope it does start the wave of bezel trimming on iOS devices.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

What's wrong with current bezels?

6. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

The hope is for smaller bezels on the 12.2" Pro device to help minimize the overall increase in size.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I agree I don't want it huge (that's not what she said) but I think Apple knows that the bezels have to be somewhat slim.