Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

40wnks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
Stilwell
Just wondering whether I should wait to buy the current large Ipad Pro after the new smaller one is announced. In the past, has the price of an Apple product dipped when a different version comes out. I know it is just a smaller version with same or similar features as the current larger one. Thanks for helping a newbie to this forum.
Bill

Trogladite

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2016
UK
Although my wife thinks the iPP expensive, I thought for the use to which I put it - it is well within the right price bracket. And so it is proving so far.

Value of an object that carries little intrinsic collecting value, is very subjective. And often too much emphasis is placed on price. Consider the use you will put it to, and whether it will improve, speed up, or have a value in your life in other ways. If the value does not add up to the cost, then maybe the time is not right to purchase.

If you find the value is likely to be good, why wait?

Edit: I forgot to add - the price may come down or it may not. I think not. And if you are from a part of the world where currency fluctuation happen a lot. Upward pricing is possible too.

Last edited:

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'd simply wait - no one knows what will be released or happen.
But at least then you can make an informed judgement call. for sure they are not going to sell out of IPPs given the current trend.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Not expecting any price cut for the big Pro. If you need/want the bigger screen I would not wait.

What I might wait for is to see if they use the chance to get me a spacegray (or better: real black) pencil. I can't stand white.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I also do not see the price dropping until a new iPad Pro arrives. That will be later this year in September if then.

Get it now and enjoy it! I go back to my Air 2 in the field and it feels like a toy compared to the Pro.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
No chance in hell will the price drop. A new 9.7" iPad isn't going to be a direct replacement. Maybe when the next version of the iPad Pro is released.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

40wnks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
Stilwell
Thanks for all the advice, just purchased off of Amazon with the Otterbox Defender case.
Bill (40wnks)

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I've said it in other threads... and I'll say it again: if you think the iPad Pro would be useful _buy it now_. It really is an AWESOME device. It's fast as hell, the screen is awesome and the Pencil is unrivaled.

There is no reason to wait on this one.

Yes, it's not for everyone... but if you can see it being useful to you at all... just do it! You won't regret it!

EDIT: Just saw that you did order one! Congrats! Enjoy!

Reactions: xixi.li

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I've said it in other threads... and I'll say it again: if you think the iPad Pro would be useful _buy it now_. It really is an AWESOME device. It's fast as hell, the screen is awesome and the Pencil is unrivaled.

There is no reason to wait on this one.

Yes, it's not for everyone... but if you can see it being useful to you at all... just do it! You won't regret it!

EDIT: Just saw that you did order one! Congrats! Enjoy!
There's also no harm in waiting for like 2 weeks just to see your options.

Not many people "need" something like an iPad. Lets just say when people on MR say they need something, its more like they want it. lol

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
If you're looking for a price drop, there have been lots of other retailers that have been selling the iPad Pro for $100+ off. Just wait for the next deal. It seems to happen pretty regularly. You won't see a price drop on the Pro from Apple directly, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.