iPad pro. Protruding camera!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by miamialley, Mar 21, 2016.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Why would you want a protruding lens on an iPad? Fail.

I don't like it on my iPhone, but I deal. I actually use my iPhone camera and I don't use my iPhone laying flat as much as my iPad.

2. WRXiceman macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

The iPad Pro 9.7" is thinner than its larger counterpart. Same as the iPad Air 2 at 6.1mm. That is probably why.

3. Puonti macrumors 6502a

It also has OIS for video at least, apparently. "Cinematic Video Stabilization" is mentioned in the specs. That probably adds to the size of the camera assembly.

4. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yes I get that. My point is I want a non-protruding lens on an iPad. And there was no indication on its thickness.

The iPad should lay flat.

5. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

You either get a better camera or a flush lens. Can't have both.

6. WRXiceman macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

There wasn't but it's on the spec sheet on the Apple Store now.

7. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

The camera will keep the 9.7 iPP from lying flat. So using the pencil might be a little more difficult.

8. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Well, my post indicates which I prefer pretty obviously.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is plain that you will not be getting your wish. It is done and it does not matter what the thickness is, the camera protrudes.

10. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Yes even I felt the protruding camera looks ugly !

11. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Ah, my bad.

I assumed you cared about possible use cases of others ...

12. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I was strongly considering getting the 9.7" Pro, but that protruding lens is going to make it really annoying to use while drawing...

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

14. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Not everyone wants to use a case. I like the thinness of the iPad and don't want to bulk it up.

15. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

No it's because of the bigger sensor. The Air 2 (same thickness as Pro 9.7) and the Pro 12.9 have the same 1/4" sensor, and hence has rubbish quality. It's sad, but people actually do use iPads to take photos, so they just equipped it with the best that they currently have.

16. PeteS1963 macrumors member

Doesn't bother me as I never use my iPad flat. If I'm typing or working on a table top I use a Smart Cover. If I'm holding my iPad I take the Smart Cover off.

17. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Due to the fact that I expect to use the iPad for drawing and writing, the camera bump may be a deal breaker for me. Have to see it in person, but more seriously considering a Surface 3 now.

18. AliMacs macrumors 6502

Why? You're missing out on the new feature called the iPad Taptic Engine 2.0 - when you push down to draw anything obviously the iPad is not flat anymore so you get a "clicking" feedback - that's from the non-flat back of the iPad similar to a 3-legged chair wobbling on the table. This way you know you are pressing on the screen.

19. Wackery macrumors 6502a

20. AliMacs macrumors 6502

Let me also add why we did not see Jony Ive in any of the promo videos today.

1) He wanted the iPhone SE to be thinner than the iPhone 6. He didn't believe in battery life and since you are getting raped in the wallet anyway, you wouldn't mind the phone having less battery capacity.

2) he did not want that iPad Pro 9.7" to have a protruding camera. He would not want to be associated with this crap. This is some bullcrap only Phil would come up with (let's stick our iPhone 6S camera in this iPad).

3) He's busy working on the iPhone 7 because he realizes Samsung kick butt this year and if he were to release the iPhone 7 as is this year, he would be ridiculed. So he is working OT in the basement churning out a last minute redesign.

4) Last but not least there was not one single product today that was innovative. In fact the only thing innovative was having some random woman stand on stage rambling on how much renewable energy resources Apple creates and uses.

Snooze fest 2016. Sheesh I find the protruding lens more entertaining.

21. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Does it have optical image stabilization? I isn't catch the answer

22. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I agree with the OP. Obviously some people like using the camera on an iPad. I get it. But to give the iPad pro a camera so good that you compromise one of its main NEW features (writing on a flat surface with the pencil). Just why?! I just can't believe THAT many people were unsatisfied with a 8mp camera on the previous iPads.

Anyway, I am really only annoyed because otherwise IMO Apple did a great job on the 9.7" iPad pro. Probably can't afford it right away but if I can figure out a good minimal solution to that stupid camera bump (seriously if I could find a way to remove the camera all together without damaging the iPad I would) I would love to buy it.

23. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Seriously. And how many people who have iPads would use their phone first anyway when taking a picture? I hate Apple sometimes.

24. FairyCatInPink macrumors regular

FairyCatInPink

Not only that, I believe that true tone thing really going to bother us, digital artists. We don't want display color changed(or adjusted) based on the lights we are surrounded by. I want same condition always, then the colors I pick on my iPad Pro is consistent. Plus 12.9" has much better resolution. I use split screen when I use preference to draw and I like it, that is not gonna be comfortable enough to do on 9.7". Even don't use split screen function, it's small enough space to work on, I felt.

25. aware macrumors member