iPad Pro provide cable is a joke

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
iPad Pro cables when I bought my Gen1 was a 2mtr cable. Seems this one is only 1mtr, meaning I can’t reach from my power sockets in my lounge to where I usually sit in my lounge.

The Apple Store online has the 1mtr and 2mtr USB-C charge cables, and the price of both of them is £19. ...

If the price is the same, surely Apple should have provided the longer one as per previous models. This. Plus the no spare nibs for the pencil, and them removing the extension power cable from the MacBook Pro just stinks of Apple being stingy. The little touches used to be so appreciated. Sadly, they don’t seem to happen as much as they used to.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2012
I was disappointed in the cord as well. Going to have to buy a longer one on amazon.com. One of the apple employees told me we should look for a usbc 3.1 because it’s faster than the normal usbc cords out there. Apple doesn’t even sell it yet bc its ‘new’. Found a 6ft one amazon but it’s $25.

Reactions: CjonesHouston

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
The USB-C situation is pretty rough in general.

There’s 3 types I’m aware of:

1) charge only + usb2 data speeds (what the iPad Pro includes)
2) USB 3 data cable
3) thunderbolt 3 cable

Given they all look identical it seems a bit nuts.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I think you mean “Apple needs to stop being like 99.9% of all modern corporations.”

When are we going to get over Apple being some super-righteous company? They are better than most but make no mistake about- they exist to make a profit.
Thankkkk you! Holy cr@p.

Apple has always been this way. Apple products have always been more than the competition. They’re not a charity. They’re a corporation.

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
The USB-C situation is pretty rough in general.

There’s 3 types I’m aware of:

1) charge only + usb2 data speeds (what the iPad Pro includes)
2) USB 3 data cable
3) thunderbolt 3 cable

Given they all look identical it seems a bit nuts.
Yep. It makes looking for a new cable super confusing as well. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, so the 2m cable that came with that is a charge + USB2 so I will probably just use that on both for now and save myself £19...

Reactions: jschu22 and profets

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Thankkkk you! Holy cr@p.

Apple has always been this way. Apple products have always been more than the competition. They’re not a charity. They’re a corporation.
How have they always been this way when the OP got the decent cable with their prior iPP and the spare nib with its Pencil?

Talking specifics is more interesting than handwaving that everything's always OK

Last edited:
Reactions: netdudeuk

RevTEG

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
The 30w charging brick is way better. You can still add the Apple exstention cord plus the 2m USB-C cable and you have around 12 foot of length. Cheap? Nope! Over priced? YES! But there’s NO WAY the included brick and cable is really usable. Try making that thing reach a plug at most coffee shops or offices. It’s crazy what I just paid for an iPad and accessories just to need another charging setup. Thankfully I already had this in hand from lay gen 1 pro.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
iPad Pro cables when I bought my Gen1 was a 2mtr cable. Seems this one is only 1mtr, meaning I can’t reach from my power sockets in my lounge to where I usually sit in my lounge.

The Apple Store online has the 1mtr and 2mtr USB-C charge cables, and the price of both of them is £19. ...

If the price is the same, surely Apple should have provided the longer one as per previous models. This. Plus the no spare nibs for the pencil, and them removing the extension power cable from the MacBook Pro just stinks of Apple being stingy. The little touches used to be so appreciated. Sadly, they don’t seem to happen as much as they used to.
The IPP 1st gen, was the only iDevice that had that longer (then standard) cable, the IPP 2nd gen, also had the normal (shorter) length cable.

The first Pencil showed (read this forum) that many never used the extra nibs, and are still using the first ones, like professional artists using the pencil every single day.
Apple doesn't want unused nibs, ending up in the trash, so you get 1, and can use this for years :)

While I could also have used a longer cable, I would have bought one extra anyway, to charge on the go, if needed, now I use the shorter one at home and the new longer one for traveling.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Tends to be the way with them these days. With my first generation Apple Watch I got a 2M cable, now you just get a 1m.
First generation iPad Pro, I got a 2m, now it’s just a 1m.
First generation Pencil, 2 spare tips, now, none.

Maybe it’s an early adopter bonus, or they’ve determined what most people use, or what they think is good enough for most people and that’s what you get.
Or it’s to shave a few cents off the cost.

Either way, it just seems to be how they do it now.

Reactions: martyjmclean

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
I think you mean “Apple needs to stop being like 99.9% of all modern corporations.”

When are we going to get over Apple being some super-righteous company? They are better than most but make no mistake about- they exist to make a profit.

Apple is very good at providing a better than average user experience. They charge a premium for their devices, but they are often among the best and this is how people can justify to buy their products at these high prices.

Including a crappy cable to save a few bucks reduces the feeling of having bought a premium product and does not provide the best user experience. And many people won't even know, that they are transfering data slower than they could. They will just think that the transfer speed of this device sucks. (Topics about that already popped up)

This is not the "it just works" that apple wants to be known for.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Apple is very good at providing a better than average user experience. They charge a premium for their devices, but they are often among the best and this is how people can justify to buy their products at these high prices.

Including a crappy cable to save a few bucks reduces the feeling of having bought a premium product and does not provide the best user experience. And many people won't even know, that they are transfering data slower than they could. They will just think that the transfer speed of this device sucks. (Topics about that already popped up)

This is not the "it just works" that apple wants to be known for.
Is it slower? I thought the cable in the box would be capable of USB 3.1 gen 2 speeds.

I only ask because I'm not using the one that came in the box.

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014

Yet people seem to buy it regardless of their anti-consumer practices. I would say...well done Apple!

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
Is it slower? I thought the cable in the box would be capable of USB 3.1 gen 2 speeds.

I only ask because I'm not using the one that came in the box.
yes, the one in the box only allows USB 2.0 transfer speeds. which is crazy.

USB 2.0: 40 MB/s
USB 3.0: 300 MB/s
USB 3.1: 900 MB/s
USB 3.2: 1800 MB/s

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
yes, the one in the box only allows USB 2.0 transfer speeds. which is crazy.

USB 2.0: 40 MB/s
USB 3.0: 300 MB/s
USB 3.1: 900 MB/s
USB 3.2: 1800 MB/s
Seriously? It was bad enough the Lightning cable was USB 2.0, but at least that was a different interface. I can’t believe they’re doing a USB-C and not at least making it 3.0. Miserable bad words

davyh

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
Gave me a chuckle when opening the box yesterday, I know Apple isn't a charity, I understand they are here to make money but come on, the cable they supplied with this iPad is pathetic. Before setting it up the first thing I did was go online and buy a longer cable.