Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I’m considering the iPad Pro later in the year, my 9.7” Pro is a bit knackered and I’d like a bigger screen.
For me it has the potential of replacing a computer, but I want to know, does it have the ability to backup my photos in iCloud onto an external hard drive? Or perhaps is their a way to use a NAS with an iPad to do this?

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Ok so. Had a search and this article says you can connect a USB C hard drive and import photos in the photos app, but it doesn’t mention about saving them to a hard drive? Has anyone tried to do that on the new iPad Pros?

http://9to5mac.com/2018/11/07/ipad-pro-usb-c-accessories/

I watched the new iPad Pro keynote again and it is a pretty incredible device. Just need to know a few things before I consider it as a full computer replacement, for me.

Last edited:

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
This question has come up previously. If you wish to "save" photos from your IPP, you will need a wireless HD. The USB-C port does not allow data to drain out from IP to a HD. Buy one - you will love it. It is a fabulous device in its own right.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
This question has come up previously. If you wish to "save" photos from your IPP, you will need a wireless HD. The USB-C port does not allow data to drain out from IP to a HD. Buy one - you will love it. It is a fabulous device in its own right.

Thanks for the reply, with something like the Western Digital portable wireless HD, can you set it so the iPad automatically saves photos to the drive as well as the iCloud? Or would it better to fine a NAS like a Synology?

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I use drop box to move pics from my iPad and iPhone and then download from drop box to a hard drive but to move directly from your Idevice to a hard drive would have to be done with either using some kind of software hack (I’ve heard they’re out there but never used one) or a wireless external drive as already mentioned.

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I was in an Apple store yesterday, I spent about 30 mins drooling over the 11” iPad Pro, it was right next to the 12.9” model and for me I preferred the 11” model, I appreciated the bigger screen but still prefer the smaller one.
The engineering in it is stunning I have to say.

The chap in the store said I could take my old 2010 MB Pro in for money off a new iPad, I’ll need to think about that as my brother in law can get me 12.5% off Apple devices through his work.

But yeah it was next to an iMac Pro and I was thinking for me, I’ll do the same thing on both devices, one with a touchscreen and is small and portable, the other powerful and with a big screen and mouse and keyboard.

I think I’d have both lol, but I am still leaning towards an iPad Pro. A 256gb or 512gb model. In Space Grey and for the hell if it with the Apple Pencil and keyboard cover.

I presume you can use an iPad Pro exclusively to setup wireless smart home security cameras?
[doublepost=1553718288][/doublepost]Oh I did ask about the hard drive question and they said the same as you guys, you can use a wireless HDD to backup the photos.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
You can also save the photos on your iPad Pro to your MBP or iMac if you get one. Sync via iTunes.

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
Yes, you can use the iPP to setup or work with security cameras.

Personally, I love my 11; it's a beautiful machine. I bought it last year on Launch Day, and I'm still in awe of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.