Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Canvassing thoughts on the likelihood that RAW editing apps will be released to make the iPad Pro a viable alternative to a Mac?

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
LR already has a mobile version.

Lightroom for mobile does not support direct raw file import using the Camera Connection Kit or Wi-Fi. Lightroom for mobile does not store your original image files but instead syncs smart previews, so therefore requires a creative cloud membership. So it is unfortunately not a viable alternative to a Mac as one still needs a computer as a central repository.

Reactions: tomnavratil

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Canvassing thoughts on the likelihood that RAW editing apps will be released to make the iPad Pro a viable alternative to a Mac?
I can't see a time when your not going to need a Mac or PC anytime soon for serious photography.
If you could edit RAW files, there's still the issue of screen calibration (none of the current options work outside there own native app. In other words :apple: have locked the system and aren't about to open it), storage and back ups.

Reactions: mrex and phrehdd

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I can't see a time when your not going to need a Mac or PC anytime soon for serious photography.
If you could edit RAW files, there's still the issue of screen calibration (none of the current options work outside there own native app. In other words :apple: have locked the system and aren't about to open it), storage and back ups.

I really think that in today's digital world you can throw screen calibration out of the window.

As long as you don't mess with your screen too much after receiving it and have gone through a few basic setup tests then there is no need to tinker.

My dad used to tell me that after full mixing tv commercials in a studio they would pull out some cheap laptop speakers and play it through that because 'that's how 99% of people are going to watch it'.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I really think that in today's digital world you can throw screen calibration out of the window.

As long as you don't mess with your screen too much after receiving it and have gone through a few basic setup tests then there is no need to tinker.

My dad used to tell me that after full mixing tv commercials in a studio they would pull out some cheap laptop speakers and play it through that because 'that's how 99% of people are going to watch it'.
I'd have to disagree with your there mate. If all you do is share on social media, then of course it's not as relevant.
But if you print your images, you can see a world of difference. Especially if they are using an apple screen. By default they are too bright, too cool and saturated to hell.
How many threads do you see on here with people complaining about there yellow screen or whatever and people advising them to return it!
If your going to drop 2 grand on a laptop, buy a 200 screen calibrator if colour matters to you.

Reactions: mrex

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I'd have to disagree with your there mate. If all you do is share on social media, then of course it's not as relevant.
But if you print your images, you can see a world of difference.

For sure, if you're printing then calibration is useful. But I've managed to get screen calibration pretty damn good without even needing an expensive calibration tool.

You have to bare in mind the calibration of the printer too!

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I'm rather excited about the possibility of using the iPad Pro as a Cintiq style graphics tablet with Astropad. I'd been thinking about a Cintiq for a while, but this would be a more all-round useful device and easier to justify financially.

Reactions: tomnavratil

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I work at HP. I give mine to the boys in the printer division and they re-calibrate the dye printers TO MY images... :)

Reactions: AlexH

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
My hopes were never going to be met...but I was hoping for a true competitor to the Surface 3/4. If iPad Pro could run a second monitor and edit RAW files I'd line up today for one. Honestly, what I want is a Macbook in an iPad. Maybe this is closer than I think but more than likely Apple doesn't see a OS X iPad as a good business decision. (with expandable storage and at least 2 USB slots.)

Reactions: Zaqfalcon

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My hopes were never going to be met...but I was hoping for a true competitor to the Surface 3/4. If iPad Pro could run a second monitor and edit RAW files I'd line up today for one. Honestly, what I want is a Macbook in an iPad. Maybe this is closer than I think but more than likely Apple doesn't see a OS X iPad as a good business decision. (with expandable storage and at least 2 USB slots.)
You need a Mod book then. http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The iPad Pro is just as crippled a RAW editing machine as its smaller sibs.

There are the same serious limitations on working with RAW. As already noted, best you can do is various workarounds that usually involve a Mac OS machine. Photogene can do some work on RAW, but has export limitations as well as dimension restrictions. Given that there are a lot of RAW products for desktop, and almost none for iOS, I don't expect that to change just because the screen got bigger and the processor marginally faster.

Seems kinda odd, though. If a camera can process a RAW, why not iOS? sort of a head for the camera itself. If you wanna spend the money, this is kinda what Olympus and DxO are kind of angling toward with their iPhone connected cameras. But even the RAW on those isn't edited in say the DxO software, although it can pass to the computer that can.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

A surface Pro 3 isnt that good. I bought one thinking I could use it like I think you are saying you want to but it too has limitations mainly physical screen size.

Reactions: bhodinut

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009

Yeah those have been around for a while. Too expensive and I'd only be interested if it was as thin and light as an iPad. I only do a few things on my home computer. Edit RAW photos in C1P, edit some short video, store files, and use the internet. My only "desktop" need is to be able to run a 24" or larger monitor. I'd be happy with something as light and thin as the iPad Pro that I could dock on the desk, run a monitor and attach to storage devices and then undock and take with me to email, surf the internet, and watch movies (what I do on my phone or iPad).

The iPad Pro as a Cintiq type editing device might be useful/interesting. Everyone use to say that Apple was headed towards unifying OS X and IOS. The Pro could've been a real first step to that. I wonder if that's really part of their plan like it was for Microsoft and Windows?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The iPad Pro as a Cintiq type editing device might be useful/interesting. Everyone use to say that Apple was headed towards unifying OS X and IOS. The Pro could've been a real first step to that. I wonder if that's really part of their plan like it was for Microsoft and Windows?
I doubt it. Although there are some annoying iOSish things that have crept into OS X, I think any merging would have already taken place.

I wish, however, that I could use some iOS apps in OS X, even in just emulation. Sort of a replacement for dashboard widgets. Even that's not happening though.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

It is hard for me not to sound a bit hostile but I'll try -

Why use RAW at all then? Maybe just do everything jpeg. After all, it should be lowest common denominator to look at based on your argument. Then again, when mastering CDs, why bother with 44.1/16 and simply just make them all MP3s since that is the most common (next to acc) way people store music. In fact why make any master file have quality at all?

I'll go with AppleFanBoy on this one. As someone who does do photo work, has used decent monitors, used both true calibrators and "soft" calibrators (proiles) as well as the Cintiq, you are completely off base with your comment. Even those that prepare in Photoshop "for the web" start with a fully correct original to make the output for web purposes. One of the best things about a good RAW file is the flexibility to have various output including printing, variations on a theme of correction (types of b/w prints come to mind that emulate sepia, selinium, split tone etc.).

I think you should use an iPad for your photo work and shoot lowest quality jpeg. After all, most people don't pay attention.

Reactions: Denmac1

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It is hard for me not to sound a bit hostile but I'll try -

Why use RAW at all then? Maybe just do everything jpeg. After all, it should be lowest common denominator to look at based on your argument. Then again, when mastering CDs, why bother with 44.1/16 and simply just make them all MP3s since that is the most common (next to acc) way people store music. In fact why make any master file have quality at all?

I'll go with AppleFanBoy on this one. As someone who does do photo work, has used decent monitors, used both true calibrators and "soft" calibrators (proiles) as well as the Cintiq, you are completely off base with your comment. Even those that prepare in Photoshop "for the web" start with a fully correct original to make the output for web purposes. One of the best things about a good RAW file is the flexibility to have various output including printing, variations on a theme of correction (types of b/w prints come to mind that emulate sepia, selinium, split tone etc.).

I think you should use an iPad for your photo work and shoot lowest quality jpeg. After all, most people don't pay attention.
There are other reasons to use RAW, even to produce a crappy low res JPEG. Any JPEG out of the camera is just the camera-computer's decision about some development. Look at the "art filters," or say a "vivid" setting. Even the standard default makes choices. You might wanna make other choices, say to bring out shadows and dim highlights. Even if you distributed the result in awful uncorrected color to people on 640x480 monitors.

And there are still some areas where precision and accuracy matter. Maybe not in some HDR landscape sunset, but for more prosaic things, like product ads. Even if one has to account for some guy who has an old CRT viewing it in a green haze, you'd want the colors across the various images and graphic elements to match.

Reactions: phrehdd

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
I agree that screen calibration is important for getting prints right but that can be refined at the end on a monitor if needs be.

The ability to import, store and process RAW files directly on the tablet is what I'm after. I'm not bothered what the operating system is called or if it's a 'proper' OS or not, it's the functionality I'm interested in. If iOS is the one that works best with a touch screen then so be it.

I don't see how a RAW editing iOS app shouldn't be do-able; the question is whether the iPad Pro is capable of handling that kind of workload?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Anyone try Filterstorm Neue? On my Air 2, it appears to correctly decode and work with the RAW CR2 files from my Canon 70D (I just started playing with this app).

john.spirou

Suspended
Oct 7, 2014
athens
This is from the developer of Filterstorm...

Make sure under settings that you turn the option to scale large images to off. This option defaults to on for speed concerns on slower devices (I should really put in a hardware check to adjust the default accordingly). Also make sure the option to use DCRaw is turned on.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This is from the developer of Filterstorm...

Make sure under settings that you turn the option to scale large images to off. This option defaults to on for speed concerns on slower devices (I should really put in a hardware check to adjust the default accordingly). Also make sure the option to use DCRaw is turned on.

I did and the app seems to work quite well on Canon CR2 RAW files. I am impressed with its capabilities.

john.spirou

Suspended
Oct 7, 2014
athens
Adobe photoshop express is working with raw files now!
Its working fast and very well, it has many of the features i want, exposure, shadows and highlights, wb correction, noise reduction, sharpen and clarity control, vibrance etc....
And the nice thing is youcan export in full resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.