iPad iPad Pro: Realistic Expectations (Not a "what I want thread")

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FSMBP, Jan 9, 2015.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I saw a lot of "I want this feature" and crazy expectations for an iPad Pro. Plain and simple - an educated (and realistic) guess of the iPad Pro:

iPad Pro, 64GB, $699
    -----------------------
    • A9 Processor
    • 2GB RAM
    • 64GB Storage (faster memory than current iPad)
    • 12" Screen (same resolution as iPad Air 2)
    • Touch ID (and Apple Pay)
    • Facetime/iSight Camera (same as iPad Air 2)
    • 10 Hours Battery Life
    • Enhanced Speakers (powered by Beats audio)
    • iOS 9 exclusive features: 'Side-by-Side' Apps, Multitasking Gestures

iPad Pro, 128GB, $899
    -----------------------
    • (same as above except)
    • A9X Processor
    • Beats Headphones
    • 128GB Storage

There is no doubt it will run iOS and not some iOS/OS X variant. The iOS "Side-by-Side" (only for the iPad Pro) will allow two Apps to be displayed next to each other. This will work for all current apps but developers should update and optimize their apps for this feature.

These are realistic expectations based on how Apple operates. When every Apple product is released, the features on the surface seem lackluster - that's why I think my list is accurate.

Any thoughts?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Has an ipad ever launched with a new version of IOS? I thought they always came with the iphone releases.

Also, isn't a big rumor that it will have a stylus? If so, I like what you said plus a stylus.

The price you mentioned would be spot on. Perfectly nested between the ipad and mac air.

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I'm curious about a stylus too...Steve Jobs "hated" them but Apple always flip-flops.

And for iPad haven't launched with a new iOS like iPhone has. However, I feel like the iPad Pro will get a release maybe at WWDC with special iOS 8.5 to add "Side-by-Side".

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Seems like a lot of things Jobs hated have come to fruition though: e.g ipad mini

5. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Then iPad Air will become like iPad Mini. Enstranged, ignored and riddled with last year's inferior specs. :mad:

I don't want 12" iPad. It would be too big and heavy to use like a tablet.

6. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

And big phones :)

7. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree...I love the iPad Air. It's a perfect size for me in terms of portability. And the price point is acceptable.

8. Billy95Tech Suspended

For the rumored " Ipad pro" i think it will have IOS and not OS X Because IOS is very good on a tablet and is very touch friendly and if IOS will bring Multi window support and more features like widgets to put on the home sceen like Android then there is no NEED/REASON Apple to put OS X on the Ipad Pro.

I don't want OS X on Ipad as i never used OS X in my life, i have used Windows and Android and i would definitely prefer IOS(I use IOS on my ipod) on the Ipad pro as long it has features like multi window support to take advantage of the 12 inch Ipad pro.

Anyway if it the Ipad pro does exist and comes out in the next 2 years well i am not interested in getting 12 inch Ipad pro because it is too BIG to be a tablet and it defeats the purpose(portability) of a tablet and i prefer the full size 9.7 inch Ipad and i will only buy the 9.7 inch Ipads in the future.

And if you want to have OS X on a tablet then there is Modbooks.

As for the specs it will have the sames specs and will have the same power of the full size 9.7 inch ipads.

And the Ipad is definitely capable of very heavy demanding tasks like video editing and on the benchmarks it says the Ipad Air 2 is as powerful as the 2013 Macbook Air and to me that is AMAZING :) :)

----------

Agree! 12 inch(and bigger) tablet is too BIG for a tablet and it defeats the purpose(portability) of a tablet.

9. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

It's not clear that Steve hated the stylus. His point during the iphone introduction was that you didn't want to use that as the main pointing device. For some tasks, such as note taking a stylus could be good.

Anyway, the stylus is not the bottleneck. The problem is the quality of the digitizer built into the screen.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

People always take the stylus argument the wrong way. The problem with the stylus to begin with was that it was the only tool you used to use to navigate a screen when they were marketed with Tablet PCs and PDAs. Which wasn't as bad as it seems really. I used to chat on IRC channels, browse the internet, and use Word on a Pocket PC with that thing back 10 years ago. But the smartphone wouldn't be as popular today if it was still like that, and a lot of the apps and games wouldn't be doable with that kind of navigation.

Steve knew that the stylus had a good use case, but he knew that the general public was into keypads at the time, and it made more sense to make a product that a user already had their brain already trained for.

The iPad hadn't matured by 2011. We had iMovie, but GarageBand came out in the spring and the guy never got to see all the wonderful apps that followed. The guy wouldn't have objected to putting the OS X handwriting recognition into iOS, and I think he would have been quick to take bluetooth out of the picture before we ended up with all these SDKs that developers have to put in their apps to make pens work.

People whine about it like it's going to be the main thing, when it'll probably only look like this when they announce it:

[​IMG]

11. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

The only way a stylus will really work is if it works as well as a pen and paper. It needs to work with any pointing device, with screen-based pressure sensitivity that has perfect palm rejection.

What I'd really like to see is one day being able to pick up any pen or pencil, and just like traditional pen and paper, start sketching immediately on the screen.

I've tried lots of stylii, and I realized in the end I didn't like any of them, mainly because unlike a physical pen, I have to use a very specific pen that doesn't support palm rejection very well. And it's even worse if you forget or lose that very expensive stylus.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I don't think Apple would release two different SoCs in any single version of the iPad; as in I don't think a 64GB sku of the iPad Pro would have a different SoC than the 128GB sku.

Also, I doubt Apple would have Beats-Powered anything, or include any accessories that aren't clearly and solely Apple-branded. We never say any "Intel inside" stickers on Macbooks, remember? The only reason to slap on a whatever-powered brand on a device is if the whatever brand is more recognizable than the device brand itself. As popular as Beats is, the Apple brand is much stronger alone.

I would LOVE if iOS9 allowed users to run two portrait apps side-by-side in landscape mode. However, if this is a feature, I hope it is on the 9.7" iPad as well. It's plenty big enough for this.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I can't ever see Apple doing different chips on the same generation iPad/iPhone. Would also love to see multiple windows allowed on iOS devices.

14. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I hope it comes to the iPad Air too;however, seeing as how Apple restricted certain landscape features from the iPhone 6 but had them on the iPhone 6 Plus, I can see them Apple restricting it to the Pro family.

If Apple honestly adding some more functionality to the iPad Air (more control of files and side-by-side apps), it would be a "Pro" machine in my book.

15. tdale macrumors 65816

You hit the nail on the head. The Pro version will have something Pro going for it, not going for any other iPad. This will be larger screen and side by side apps. If the Air also got side by side apps, most will buy an Air

That will leave many of us wanting side by side but not wanting a hulk iPad.

16. jdamiano macrumors member

If it's anything less than this then I will be very disappointed

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Perhaps the Pro will have an Atom or similar type core in the fourth slot to allow for the possibility of running Mac apps.

18. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Agreed...he didnt want to re-invent the Newton. I wonder how Steve would have felt about touch screen laptops?

----------

Hulk ipad may sell at "hulk" margins-perhaps 2+ that of the air. Hulk smash

19. venom600 macrumors 6502a

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

What does it matter what Steve Jobs liked or didn't like? In a field that depends on being up to date with the latest technology and consumer demands, it's generally a bad idea to let a guy who's been dead for years call the shots. I never understand why people still bring up what Jobs would or wouldn't have wanted back in 2011 as arguments for what should be done in 2015 and beyond.

21. Aaron from KY macrumors member

I think it depends on when it launches. If it launches in Spring, it will likely have the A8X. If it launches in fall, the A9. The screen will likely be 12.2", resolution will probably be 2560x1600. Main features will otherwise include 64-128GB storage, quad speakers(or stereo with subwoofer), Wacom digitizer enabled. Weight will probably be closer 1.5lbs. The biggest deal will probably be the bigger screen and some kind of digitizer. I just don't think it's going to be as revolutionary as the original iPad, nor as pro-like as some want, think prosumer.

22. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Because he had a valid argument? You don't need to go off some rant because you think I'm one of those people who say "Jobs wouldn't allow this". He had a good point about styluses - that's all. Relax.

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I think you read my comment with more fervor than was intended. It was inspired by your comment but not really aimed at you specifically. Also, three sentences is hardly a "rant".

24. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

If it's going to be used just like the current iPads, you can expect strain injuries to increase exponentially.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

So you think it will be a lot heavier than the iPad1 which was considered light at the time?