Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Maybe its just the size of the screen, but does anyone else feel like they see the animations move less smoothly when moving from page to page in the Springboard or opening/closing folders? Seems like I notice the animation way more than I'm used to from my iPhone and iPad Air 2, and its a bit less smooth.

I'm seeing a little motion blur.

Last edited:

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
It's a 60hz LCD, you're definitely going to see plenty of sample and hold motion blur. The difference you're noticing there is that motion blur is much harder to detect on smaller screens. Can't say anything about animation smoothness.

Reactions: OCDMacGeek

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Interesting, I never really thought about that on an Apple device before. I see that the screen has "variable refresh rate" technology built into it, and I wonder if that is impacting what I am seeing in some way also.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Interesting, I never really thought about that on an Apple device before. I see that the screen has "variable refresh rate" technology built into it, and I wonder if that is impacting what I am seeing in some way also.

It could, but only if it's not working correctly. The idea is that the screen drops to 30hz when everything is static and jumps to 60hz when anything is moving at all, so in theory it should never result in stutter or low frame rates, but if it fails somehow it could produce those symptoms.

I should add that like with the blur thing larger screens can make frame drops more obvious. Even a single lost frame on a big screen will be jarring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.