iPad Pro resolution/split screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Steven Jackson, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Hi,

Am I right in assuming at all of Apple's own apps, both pre-instaled and optional downloads, have been optimised for the increased iPad Pro resolution?

Do they all also support split screen?

Thanks for your help before I buy.

Steve.

2. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

Not all, unfortunately. The Apple Storr app hasn't been optimised, nor does it support split screen. Music doesn't support split screen either which is a bit strange. I'm not too sure of some of there other apps though, sorry!

3. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a bit poor. Does anyone know whether iOS 9.3 brings any improvements in this regard?

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Its not really a deal breaker i think. Stock apps like email, safari, pages, numbers etc work beautifully in split screen.

5. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Even so, you'd think Apple would lead the way if they expect other developers to put in the work...

6. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

True, but as mentioned, the lack of a couple of stock apps optimised for splitscreen/pro is hardly going to put me off purchasing, especially considering the mass of other pros the 'Pro' boasts.

7. mrklaw macrumors 65816

I would certainly like apple music and the store to support split screen - especially music while I'm browsing.

And I would very, VERY much like the ability to have apps split themselves - eg safari to support split screen with two tabs - one in each screen, or pages with two documents open side by side.

8. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Other than the Music and Apple Store apps, do all the others support iPad Pro resolution and split screen?

9. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been doing some further research and it looks like LOTS of the apps I want to use haven't been updated for either split-screen OR the increased iPad Pro resolution.

That being the case, how do normal iPad apps look on the iPad Pro?

(Unoptimised iPhone apps on the iPhone 6+ drive me nuts. Maybe my eyes are sensitive...)

Steve.

10. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

They look slightly fuzzy and the text just does not look good. The bar at the top is huge, videos are up scaled so 1080p still does look too good until the app is updated!

11. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been trawling the App store to see whether the apps I frequently use are optimised for Split Screen and the full resolution of iPad Pro.

Can anyone help with the following (I just can't seem to find the info)?

- Facebook
    - Amazon
    - eBay
    - Nest
    - Alto's Adventure
    - Letterpress
    - IMDB
    - Speedtest
    - WordPress
    - Google Drive
    - 1Password
    - 1Blocker
    - TextExpander

Any help is much appreciated.

Steve.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The flipside of the argument is to wait until splitscreen is more fully supported... not only will you have a better experience, but there is a greater possibility of a sale on the Pro which would mean spending even less.

13. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

1Password replied to a tweet, confirming Split Screen and full resolution support. I'd still appreciate help with the others, if any iPad Pro owners have a moment...

- Facebook
    - Amazon
    - eBay
    - Nest
    - Alto's Adventure
    - Letterpress
    - IMDB
    - Speedtest
    - WordPress
    - Google Drive
    - 1Blocker
    - TextExpander

Cheers,

Steve.

14. Krevnik, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Don't need an iPad Pro explicitly to see if an app supports split screen, the Air 2 has the same functionality. If it has split screen, it should also support the native resolution. I can say these don't have it:

- Facebook
    - IMDB
    - eBay
    - Amazon
    - Speedtest

I don't have the other apps on mine.

15. off_piste macrumors 6502a

16. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesn't really matter if any of them have it, but that doesn't stop we wanting it or wondering if the functionality is available...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2016 ---
    Thanks for your help. I have to say, that's a pretty poor show, especially by the first four...

17. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Yup, software optimisation to splitscreen and ipad pro really is disappointing so far in my opinion. Really disappointing.

Not that is stopped my buying the Pro, and i've never regretted a single day of it yet :)

18. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

Split screen supports seem to be the exception, and not the rule, in my experience. The majority of my apps either don't support it or have major bugs in split view. This is why I might sell my big Pro and get the smaller Pro.

19. AliMacs macrumors 6502

The IPP is THE PERFECT screen size for split-view usages. In fact I believe apple was designing iOS 9.0 split view with the IPP in mind. On the iPad 9.7" display the split-view is usable but it's far from being practical. I don't like it at all and after buying the IPP LTE and using it for a month now I can see how great it is. In fact combined with two apps side by side and being able to pull down Notification Center and say clicking on a widget will bring it to foreground on the left panel side. Then after you are done, you can click the upper left corner "back to...(app)" link to go back to what you had in the left split-view pane.

This is just awesome on the bigger display. On the 9.7" display it's not anything remarkable.