Ipad Pro - rMB - or MBP (w/o TB)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cramazing, Nov 8, 2016.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

Hey guys, so here's my situation. I currently have a 2014 15" RMBP that I use for everything at home.

I'm looking to purchase a more mobile device/machine for when I am not at home, mainly for lite usage.
    Mostly web browsing, Office suites, etc. I also want to be able to use MS Remote desktop to login my work desktop too. I am also a big user for Apple Music, I like to download a lot of music too.

With all 3 device being in the same price range, I was wondering which one is best for me.
    I tried the rMB, but I found the screen to not be too bright for my liking, and I notice it compare to my 15" MBP. I was never a big iPad user, I've try all of them from the ipad 2 to the Air and the mini and I was never much of a fan of tablets, but maybe the IPad Pro is different? And lastly the newly MBP, I have seen it yet in person and I have read some reviews about it not being a pro device or all that which really doesn't bother me as I am not a Pro user.

So I am kinda stuck here. I was wondering if anyone had to decide between these 3 devices and which one did you go with?

Thanks!

2. cyberlocke macrumors member

cyberlocke

What do you plan to do with your new mobile machine?

3. nionelle macrumors newbie

I have the 12.7in iPad Pro and it is definitely a step up from the other models for me, especially for split screen use, however it is still fundamentally an iPad. As cyberlocke says it depends what you intend to do with it and where. For instance I love the iPP on the train, but prefer the stability of my 13" mpb when browsing in bed etc.

You certainly get a lot more for you're money with the new MBP but it all depends what you intend to use it for. I wouldn't recommend the RMB, it's not much smaller or lighter than the Pro but is way down on power.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The iPad is fantastic as a travel device if you want to read and do light work on the go, but you quickly run into its limitations if you need to do anything complex. Office work and Remote Desktop might or might not fall under this category for you. Nothing will beat an iPad for battery life.

I would say that the rMB is the best choice for you. I'm not sure what you didn't like about the screen? If you are talking about absolute brightness, the rMB is demonstrably brighter than your version MBP - at over 350nits it's really bright - although the new machines are brighter still at close to 500 nits. If portability is the prime consideration, the rMB is where it's at.

5. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

I'd go for the MBP 15" with touchbar. So much more to do, way faster SSD and most applications will support it for shortcuts this summer, so I know what I'd get myself after the Christmas BBQ.

6. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the responds guys.

The 15" MBP wont work for me, I already have one and I'm still keeping that for use at home.

I find the rMB screen to be a bit yellowish.. I compared it side by side with my 15" MBP and I can clearly see a yellow tint on it, that was one of the reasons I returned it. One of the main reasons I like the rMB was because I can get 512GB of storage on it, whereas (compare to price) the IPP and new 13"MBP will only have 256GB.

As mentioned early, the main use of this machine will be for where I am not at home, for work related stuff, MS Office, email, PDF, and also for MS Remote Desktop to my work PC.

7. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I have an iPad Mini4, iPad Pro 9.7" and a rMB (1.3GHz m7). They all have their uses. Mini is great for consumption and light short travels. iPad Pro is fantastic especially with Apple Pencil for creating annotated documents and filling PDF documents and signing them. However, I keep going back to my MacBook if I want to do anything that involves more than 2 documents sharing the display at the same time and interchanging information between them.

Your use and needs will determine which device is best for you but if you use MS Office, don't forget the fact that the fully functioning Office 365 suite for iPads smaller than 10" is free. Here it is.

http://www.macworld.com/article/304...t-office-for-free-while-larger-ipad-cant.html

8. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

My iPad Pro is great on the road but there are limitations. If I need to do office work, such as docs, I've needed to go to my MacBook Pro. However if you don't want to get a rMBP then a portable that can handle office work should be the MacBook Air.