iPad Pro runs on OS X?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Badrottie, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Do you think iPad Pro should run on OS X El Caption? (did I spell it wrong) or iOS 9?
    iPad Pro with OS X should compete with Microsoft Surface 4 because it is running Windows 10.

2. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Would love a touch version os OSX!!! But I cant see it happening....

3. tdale macrumors 65816

It will never happen. Apple is about selling hardware and saying their products are amazing. A hybrid kills both. The general consensus is a hydrid is not the best laptop or the best tablet, and many would buy one hybrid instead of a laptop and a tablet. The perfect hybrid is a MBA base and an iPad Pro screen, but even then it would be expensive as, and you can only use one at a time.

They will work to continue integration so the two devices work closely together, and allow more tablet functionality so the iPad becomes less a consumption device and more a workhorse. OSX on a touchscreen, no thanks.

4. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

iOS. I wouldn't be interested in an OS X version. Software does not support touch. Plus, it would be too confusing to call it an iPad when it competes with the Macbook line.

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

The iPad pro wouldn't make sense at all if it didn't run full OS X.

Who the heck ever said - "the air 2 is great, but it needs to be a tiny bit bigger and more expensive!"

The air 2 is absolutely perfect for iOS - why would apple create another division of the iPad line? Mini, 1gb air, 2gb air, AND a better specked iPad? Absolutely not..

It just makes no sense.

However -

Microsoft is doing great with the Surface line (heck, even I bought a pro 3 and love it) - Apple has no answer for it.

The tablet/laptop hybrid aspect is great and I use it all the time, as is the pen. I actually sold my MacBooks and got rid of my iPad Air 2 for it. It's an amazing device..

Given apples history of taking and improving devices - I think it's pretty obvious what the pro will be...

6. c55 macrumors regular

c55

Needs a custom iOS not OSX. Apple has already added more external keyboard features to the iPad in iOS 9. I hope they are hinting at adding a Smart Cover like keyboard option. iOS already runs Pages, numbers, notepad, evernote, email, etc. so what's the point of putting OS X on it if iOS already does a fine job at it.

and I don't think we can really compare iOS/OS X vs. Windows. They don't have a mobile ecosystem that can even touch iOS. So obviously they're going to put a full blown Windows on their tablets. It just makes sense for them, not for Apple.

7. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I can't imagine OS X running on an ARM powered machine. ARM processors are gaining ground pretty fast but I don't think it's ready for prime time where OS X is concerned.

8. David58117 macrumors 65816

So iPad just loses then in comparison to the surface line?

It will have gimped versions of pages and office programs, won't have any adequate music composition tools, inferior pen - meanwhile Microsoft spears ahead on those fronts and perfects it, leaving apple behind in the dust.

I love apple and sold all my windows equipment years ago - but the surface pro 3 is the first device that made me come back to Microsoft.

Its eventually going to happen..

Why let Microsoft get so far ahead..

9. gppittjk macrumors regular

I could handle the iPad Pro running iOS, but only if iOS is optimized for business use cases. In all honesty, what I personally want out of iPad Pro (if it is actually released) is something to compete with the Surface/Surface Pro. If Apple believes that it can accomplish that with an optimized version of iOS 9, I'll pay attention. But the Surface/Surface Pro lines have made me take a second look at Microsoft, which I wrote off as unable to get out of their own way when they released the original Surface RT. I would love to be able to open a document on my iPad and take notes on that document/presentation using a super accurate stylus/pen. I'd like legitimate ability to read/write/modify Office documents on the go. Ultimately, if iPad Pro can do those things, I'll probably be in. I am, however, also hoping for a smaller version than the rumored 12.9" tab.

10. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Can somebody please tell me what is wrong with iOS? I use an iPad as my main device for pretty much everything, and I'm perfectly happy with it. Especially if ARM Macs become a reality, iOS and OS X are probably going to become the same OS, except with one optimised for touch and one for mice/trackpads.
    Everybody complaining about the iPad Pro being just a bigger iPad, look back. Were you one to say that tablets and phablets were just bigger phones? I was one of those people, and I changed my view. You're probably going to be proven wrong when :apple: release a bigger iPad, and it is well optimised.
    Pro software? There's no reason why that can't come to iOS devices sooner or later.

11. David58117 macrumors 65816

Because within the iPad lineup there is at least a mini, an air 1 with 1 GB ram, and an air 2 with 2 GB ram.

Now Apple is going to add another division by offering something with superior hardware?

I think that would cause more damage to the iPad lineup, especially once you start with only allowing people who bought the expensive version the ability to run that pro level of software..and what developer would release pro software that's only available to a select few who bought the more expensive hardware to run it?

Why even bother at that point? They could just release it to OS-X and be done with it..

Or - apple could easily bypass that headache and do what Microsoft did and release a tablet/hybrid that will allow me to run the pro software I already own (Logic, Native Instruments komplete, etc etc).

But my Surface Pro 3 already allows that (except for Logic of course).

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I think that an iPad Pro running OSX would be a terrible idea. An update to iOS that expands/enhances functionality... particularly in enabling data/file interchange access across apps, would go a long way.

Have you used Windows desktop apps on a tablet in touch mode?

hint: Simply magnifying the desktop to enlarge the UI elements is not sufficient to provide an enjoyable/productive user experience using touch.

The Surface Pro 3 makes a fine ultrabook, but a poor tablet. A poor tablet, not because of the hardware but because of the deficiency in the quantity of quality touch-optimized apps using the Modern UI. This has been a chronic issue which has slowly improved but still an issue (for some more than others).

iOS apps already are pretty advanced and given iOS enhancements to facilitate "pro" capabilities, I can see developers falling over themselves to expand their apps to take advantage of these new capabilities.

13. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Technically it's possible to make an iPad Pro running OS X with touch and precision pen inputs but the reason Apple hasn't done so in the past is because it's more profitable to sell multiple non-overlapping products. Now that the iPad is nearly dead it makes business sense to roll out this product which they probably already have a working prototype since customers have been demanding it for a while now. The longer Apple delays the more customers they push over to Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 and when Microsoft releases a phone running x86-64 Windows it'll be over for iPhone too.

14. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Putting OS X would be no easier, because every single app will have to be optimised for touch support. And neither would a Frankenstein OS like Windows 8. Anyway, it wouldn't cause 'damage to the iPad line-up,' because one, nobody really uses pro software, and two, the iPad never supported pro software so it definitely wouldn't decrease sales.

15. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Well... To be honest. Since I installed iOS 9 Beta I think iOS is ultimately better, faster and better than OS X. Only thing I care about OS X now is that there is still some useful software available I need. If complete versions of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign would be available for iOS I would sell my Mac right away.

16. Dave245 macrumors 601

I agree with this, ever since installing IOS 9 Beta i'm finding that i use my iPad more due to the multitasking, it's so much more convenient for Notes, i'm sure when other apps are updated such as Youtube and so on it will be even better.
    However the iPad Pro i'm not so sure what Apple will be aiming at? are they trying to compete with Microsoft Surface? if so they might add more features and a stylus. I'm not going to say OS X will never be on a iPad Pro because i didn't believe Apple would release an iPad Mini and they did, let's not forget that Apple is a different company under Tim Cook, and i think it's better for it.

17. user1234 macrumors regular

user1234

I would be very interested in an iPad that can run OS X as well as iOS apps. I like the portability of the iPad, but sometimes I need to transfer stuff from SD cards to internal/external storage, and sometimes I need to run OS X software with mouse/trackpad and keyboard. Right now I have to have a laptop and an iPad for this, but I would really like one mobile device, and then a more powerful computer at home like an iMac retina.

The Surface 3/Pro 3 is very intriguing but I can't stand windows, nor does most of my software run in Windows.

I would totally be interested in a hybrid tablet from Apple, and I'm sure their brilliant engineers and designers can solve this in a way that is intuitive and makes sense. I don't believe they will do it. I believe the iPad pro will run iOS 9, but I really hope it will run both in some way.

18. gppittjk macrumors regular

That's pretty much what I'm looking for - I'd like to see some optimizations to enhance business use cases. Give me iOS apps along with a file system, pen input, and some sort of portable keyboard solution and I'm all-in. Third parties have taken care of the keyboard, now I just need the pen and the file system. I don't need the device to run full OSX, but I do need it to be more business-oriented than the current Air 2. I can work files from iCloud/Dropbox/etc, but I'd prefer not to have to rely on them.

19. cynics macrumors G3

iPad Pro running OS X is a solution looking for a problem in my opinion.

There are FAR to many compromises that would need to be made to OS X to run a such a device. Whereas modifying iOS to a Pro version makes much more sense because the touchscreen interface and its gesture system is rock solid and already in place.

Also the software is already in place. It makes much more sense for a iPad Pro to run all the current iOS apps vs not being able to run a majority of the OS X apps.

Basically what I'm saying is upgrading iOS for an iPad Pro version should be better then downgrading OS X for an iPad Pro version.

20. ThunderSkunk, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Yes, if its going to be referred to as "Pro", it needs to run Pro applications, and have OS X Eric Clapton to run them, with Intel chipsets and less of a focus on being a mobile device (thats your phone or your little ipad), and more of finally stepping into the inevitable next-generation of touch-enabled workstation replacements.

It's 2015, and we still have to interface with graphics programs using a typewriter. It's ludicrous. Memorizing a million hotkeys to get photoshop & cad programs to perform simple operations is merely a result of not having capable touch screens and proper UI's. The great leaps and bounds that come with configurable UI's with touch controls are nothing short of revolutionary, and once your display is about 13" or more, there is no need to "touch optimize" the OS. It already is optimized. Small displays are clumsy and ineffective running OS X. Large ones are clean, speedy and enjoyable.

The pessimist in me thinks there's no way Apple would do something that practical and useful. It doesn't have a narrow enough use case. Once it got out, it'd be the mac to end all mac sales.

21. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Well as @c55, @sracer, @gppittjk--among others--have already said, this purported iPad 'Pro' device will likely come bearing some beefed up version of iOS (perhaps labeled iOS 9 Pro?) that can really bridge the gap between Apple's mobile and desktop platforms. It won't run full programs, but will be a fine alternative in the event you left your MacBook at home, or if you only have a desktop Mac and don't need complete productivity while out and about.

Whatever Apple does on the OS side of things though, it'll have to have some special features in the software that set it apart from other iPads. I'd bet every paycheck I earn between now and the day that thing is announced it'll have a digital pen. This will require some sophisticated drivers and pressure sensitivity algorithms that Apple has never had to worry about until now. Well, there was this thing called the Newton, and it had a pen but... oh never mind:D.

22. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Except that it's not practical and useful. Intel? Are you serious? :apple: are even working on ARM OS X. Why? Because due to the acceleration of ARM processors absolutely outrunning Intel chips, it's going to end up being the better choice. For instance, the A8X is about as powerful as the Core M in the new MacBook. Just give it the ability to run pro software and be done with it. It doesn't need software that is optimised for trackpad and mouse use, it just needs iOS, which will develop to be a touch version of OS X.

23. David58117 macrumors 65816

OS X Eric Clapton! Lol.

Sorry, I actually started laughing though as I read that..