Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGamble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hey!

I'm not really a fan of the Smart Cover, any idea if Apple are thinking of realising a Smart Case? My iPad Air Smart Case is perfect.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Maybe I'm missing something really obvious here but yes, they do make a Silicone Case.

The case covers the back and the cover does the front. Total cost £114. :eek:

AGamble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Maybe I'm missing something really obvious here but yes, they do make a Silicone Case.

The case covers the back and the cover does the front. Total cost £114. :eek:

The Smart Case is an all in one solution. The Smart Cover is magnetic...Hasn't there been many reports of it scratching iPads?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
The Smart Case is an all in one solution. The Smart Cover is magnetic...Hasn't there been many reports of it scratching iPads?
Ah I see.

The new two-item solution is supposed to replace that I believe, and screw you out of £40 ish in the process.

The iPad 2 Smart Cover *apparently* scratched the side (it never did on mine) but these days the covers are 100% soft material externally so there's no risk of scratching.

AGamble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Ah I see.

The new two-item solution is supposed to replace that I believe, and screw you out of £40 ish in the process.

The iPad 2 Smart Cover *apparently* scratched the side (it never did on mine) but these days the covers are 100% soft material externally so there's no risk of scratching.

Cool, that's good to know! I presume the Smart Cover also allows easy access to the smart connector (I presume it attaches to that side)?

Is the Smart Cover worth the cash or is there better alternatives?

I like Apples offerings as they are minimalistic and retain form factor (albeit hideously expensive).

My Air Smart Case has warn extremely well, after two years it's still as good as new :).

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Cool, that's good to know! I presume the Smart Cover also allows easy access to the smart connector (I presume it attaches to that side)?

Is the Smart Cover worth the cash or is there better alternatives?

I like Apples offerings as they are minimalistic and retain form factor (albeit hideously expensive).

My Air Smart Case has warn extremely well, after two years it's still as good as new :).
I've not used third party ones so can't really comment.

Sometimes third parties have them cheaper but probably not for something this new.

The Smart Cover covers the Smart Connector (god these names are cheesy!).

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
It's not all in one (like the smart case), it's not leather and you can only buy grey or white.

Yes, I missed those features too. The leather felt thinner and maybe lighter vs. the plastic I purchased for the iPP. But the new front cover does fold into the triangle stand nicely. Lack of colors seems weird.

Reactions: Themoth

AGamble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Yes, I missed those features too. The leather felt thinner and maybe lighter vs. the plastic I purchased for the iPP. But the new front cover does fold into the triangle stand nicely. Lack of colors seems weird.

I'm expecting them to release additional colours but I think we're all out of luck on the leather front (the price point of the plastic cover is surely too high to suggest they're also planning a leather version?).

My leather Apple Air Smart Case still looks new after 2 years and cost £65. The plastic iPP equivalent is £115.

Reactions: Themoth

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I have the smart case and cover. They both fit really well together, I'm impressed by the quality as usual. Only thing is with the smart case the iPad is a little more slippery than without it, and this is why I'd prefer a leather case. It also looks really nice together when closed. I'm surprised that I haven't seen any pictures or reviews with both products together.

Last edited:

Themoth

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
IL
I have the smart case and cover. They both fit really well together, I'm impressed by the quality as usual. Only thing is with the smart case the iPad is a little more slippery than without it, and this is why I'd prefer a leather case. It also looks really nice together when closed. I'm surprised that I haven't seen any pictures or reviews with both products together.
I think it's due to no keyboards around. Post a pic

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I think it's due to no keyboards around. Post a pic

Sure, here it is. The cover fits perfectly and stays in place nice and secure with strong magnets. I walk with it in my arm like a folio case and it doesn't open or move thanks to the strong magnets. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
So this is only the Smart Cover not keyboard?

Correct. It's the cover and case, I don't have the keyboard yet but I'm sure the fit will be just as good. As soon as I get the keyboard case I could post more pictures.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Scillicone back seems so expensive.

Yes it is but the fit is perfect and feel is great. It's a tad bit more slippery in the hand when laying down holding it up, but at the same time it has more grip when it's on a table or desk. It does not slide as easy than it would without the case if you try to move it. This is good for me when I'm in class with my iPad on the desk, and since some of the desks at school have a slight incline, with this case it will not slide.

Last edited:
Reactions: munishp

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I think I'm going to bite my tongue and go for the Apple case and cover. The smart case was my favorite on my air. I'd prefer to buy leather but....

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I think I'm going to bite my tongue and go for the Apple case and cover. The smart case was my favorite on my air. I'd prefer to buy leather but....

You won't be disappointed, the fit and quality is top notch. I only wished they offered in leather and different colors like black. How do you not make a black case or cover!?

Reactions: AVBeatMan

munishp

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Cloud
You won't be disappointed, the fit and quality is top notch. I only wished they offered in leather and different colors like black. How do you not make a black case or cover!?
Do you carry your setup in a normal bag too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.