iPad Pro IPad Pro Smart Connector Forgotten or Abandoned ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Feb 5, 2017.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Question can anyone come up with a good use for the Smart Connector supposedly it can transfer Data and Power but Apple refuses to say how much and how fast it can do both.

Also the only accessory I know of is the Backlit Keyboard by Logitech the Create which is $129.99 and the Apple Smart Keyboard.

I feel like Apple has abandoned the Smart connect instead of releasing a nice Wireless Inductive charger

2. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Didn't Belkin release a charging stand that uses the Smart Connector interface?

I agree however; I expected "more" from it from Apple themselves... I find it impossible to believe they would put that hardware inside for Belkin and Logitech

3. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

I think with the new iPads coming there might be a revival. But for sure if they include it as a wireless charging solution for iPhone this year.

4. bensisko macrumors 65816

Logitech did: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/base-ipad-pro-stand

I guess it comes down to "future enhancements". If you imagine a wireless charging future where we elimate the Lightning port, then the Smart Connector could still be used for physical charging or data transfer needs, especially in a diagnostic mode.

5. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

There are exciting things coming in the pipeline, that may or may not need some liquid plumber.

Channeling my inner Tim Cook.

6. RevTEG macrumors 6502

RevTEG

I think I remember reading that the charging stand that using the smart connector charges very slowly. If that's the case then it wouldn't be the best option for my personal needs/wants. I got my hopes up for a gen 2 Apple Smart Keyboard that's back lit. Long nights spent in airplanes are exposing my terrible typing skills. Even if that means the keyboard has to pull more power through the smart connecter. It's hard to believe Apple would take the time and spend the R&D money just for two keyboards and a stand.

7. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

They needed a way to make the keyboard work without batteries, they have done that and it works beautifully, you can use it for data transfer, power etc if you need to develop something that would work with that connector and position, clearly that need does not exist so no one has developed anything else.

Bottom line: Apple won't create a product unless there is a need

8. ericwn macrumors 65816

Is this going to be as frequently visited by you as the silly iPad needs its own OS thread?
    What are your own expectations for the port? Because if you feel it was abandoned then you must have had a different expectation in the first place.

9. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Having a bad day ;) Yeah I expected a dock that could be connected to a computer for syncing.

10. ericwn, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

ericwn macrumors 65816

No, I'm just aware of somebody's posting pattern by now. :)
    A dock would be interesting, but isn't there a charge stand already from Logitech? Does that not also sync?

Problem is also that you automatically exclude many customers who have the keyboard attached, imagine having to take it if and put it aside every time you want to sync.

Edit: I was correct, the OP has showed no further interest after opening the thread.

11. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Seems very niche; and while Apple is very comfortable doing things different, it does seem fairly forgotten by Apple itself as far as support for anything other then a (from many accounts) mediocre keyboard. May as well have just called it the keyboard connector.

12. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'd just get the logitech keyboard, mainly because it has the :apple: Pencil holder too.

13. subjonas macrumors 6502a

Yes when it was announced I was very excited anticipating the slew of new innovative products the smart connector would likely usher in, besides the two keyboards that were announced with it. A year and a half later all we got is a charging stand. What a complete disappointment.

14. Swisspo macrumors regular

Swisspo

I expected a ton of 3rd party accessories to utilize the smart connector.. Maybe not right away obviously, but we are now well over a year in and still not really anything to show.. Major dissapointment to say the least..

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I posted comment on other forum few months ago and nobody cares. Anyway I think Wacom would use smart connection for new Bamboo/Intous drawing tablet.

16. bensisko macrumors 65816

Interesting, but why?
    I don't see Wacom making a drawing tablet for the iPad, especially with Apple Pencil and being able to draw directly on the screen.

17. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I just bought a Logitech base that utilizes the smart connector for docking and charging.

It is the perfect bedside companion to just throw on when going to bed and charge overnight and also for leaving it docked for some music in my bedroom/bathroom when getting ready in the morning.

Super clean and almost like wireless charging if you will.

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You are right...I never thought about Apple Pencil. My bad.

19. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I guess the issue is - what other use cases are there? You need a magnetic connector which can hold the attachment to the smart connector pins securely, which implies a case or cover or stand of some sort. Apart from a keyboard, I am drawing a blank as to what other devices can be integrated into a case-like form factor and which will continuously require power and data.

20. subjonas macrumors 6502a

You're right, I can't imagine too many mainstream uses for the smart connector other than keyboards and charging stands. So it might be that the smart connector was intended for various niche uses. I could maybe see a smart connector midi keyboard for music composers. Who knows what other professions are out there that require unique tactile input methods.
    But one somewhat mainstream scenario I thought the smart connector might be used for is to connect an iPad to an external display. At some point if iOS ever supports multiple displays, perhaps the smart connector is the way it's going to be connected. Bandwidth would be a problem for video though. Maybe it will connect two ipads together so they can work in syncronisation. I don't know why someone would have two of the same size iPads though.

21. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see a smart connector dock that has plugs for a wired keyboard and speakers. Then I could have my 12.9" setup for desktop use and then just pick it up and use it as a tablet, without having to plug in any wires.