Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
An interesting question. When the 12.9 inch iPad Pro, with its 2700x2000 screen came out, many developers gave their apps special, extended iPad Pro interfaces that showed more info.

But now that the 9.7 inch iPad Pro, with its 2000x1500 screen is out, will those apps give the same extended iPad Pro interfaces to the 9.7 inch one too? After all, it is a "Pro" too, right? And if so, since the iPad Pro 9.7 inch and the iPad Air 2 has the same resolution, wouldn't/shouldn't those extended interfaces work on an iPad Air 2 as well?

Or will these apps with extended interfaces only be for the 12.9 inch iPad Pro? iPads, iPad Pros, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE's, older iPhone models - all with differencing screen sizes, resolutions nd class designations. Developers can't be happy about all these little subtle differences between the models.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
An interesting question. When the 12.9 inch iPad Pro, with its 2700x2000 screen came out, many developers gave their apps special, extended iPad Pro interfaces that showed more info.

Like which apps? Most of the apps I've seen update are using some form of auto-layout to resize into the larger screen (same for split view). I'd be curious what apps actually present a different interface (also to learn from them as a dev myself).

But now that the 9.7 inch iPad Pro, with its 2000x1500 screen is out, will those apps give the same extended iPad Pro interfaces to the 9.7 inch one too? After all, it is a "Pro" too, right? And if so, since the iPad Pro 9.7 inch and the iPad Air 2 has the same resolution, wouldn't/shouldn't those extended interfaces work on an iPad Air 2 as well?

As a dev, when I build interfaces, it is based on what works on the screen size. Just like a MacBook Air gets the same interface as a MacBook Pro for an app, I'm not going to ask the iPad "Are you a Pro?" To figure out how to layout the screen. I'm at most checking against the screen size. This approach can be called "Check features, not model numbers". And this is something Apple pushes as well, for good reason. So that when you do things like add Pencil support, and Apple decides to add the Pencil to other models, you aren't like AstroPad and having to rush an update to support it.

Reactions: rui no onna

Rafterman

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Like which apps? Most of the apps I've seen update are using some form of auto-layout to resize into the larger screen (same for split view). I'd be curious what apps actually present a different interface (also to learn from them as a dev myself).

As a dev, when I build interfaces, it is based on what works on the screen size. Just like a MacBook Air gets the same interface as a MacBook Pro for an app, I'm not going to ask the iPad "Are you a Pro?" To figure out how to layout the screen. I'm at most checking against the screen size. This approach can be called "Check features, not model numbers". And this is something Apple pushes as well, for good reason. So that when you do things like add Pencil support, and Apple decides to add the Pencil to other models, you aren't like AstroPad and having to rush an update to support it.

Adobe Lightroom, for example. A lot of apps have alternate screen layouts for the Pro.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Adobe Lightroom, for example. A lot of apps have alternate screen layouts for the Pro.

I've tried actually finding a good example of how Lightroom is different on the 12.9" display, and I'm not finding anything different from how it appears on the Air. Just doing autolayout to fill the space better. But nothing different about the layout itself that is unique.

Reactions: StPatty33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.