iPad Pro + Time Capsule = bye bye iMac?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Frznrth, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Frznrth macrumors member

Hi
    I have an old iMac that is loaded up with family photos/movies (currently at 156GBs worth). I need to find a way to expand my storage capacity and ditch the old imac while it still works. I purchased a 1 TB Time Capsule that I had planned on using as a wireless backup for a to be purchased mac book pro but looking at the cost and thinking I'll never use all the power of the MacBook pro (mostly I just wanted the 1 TB storage) I'm wondering if an iPad Pro with the Time Capsule as an external drive might work.

My biggest concern is lag time to load/view photos and short home movies on the ipad that are stored on the Time Capsule. Will this be a pain in the butt?? - enough to make me fork over $$$$ for a mac book pro?

I'm also going to set up an Icloud for the pics and attach an external drive to the Time Capsule for backups no matter which way I go.

Thanks for the help.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

It would be slow time machines kind of suck as a nas. Better to get a airport extreme and a external HD. Or a real nas plus it costs less.

3. Frznrth, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

Frznrth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'm guessing the AirPort Extreme would be acceptable for speed? Or would a real NAS be faster? How about ease of use for a real NAS? If faster that AE and easy to use any specific suggestions on which to buy? Reliability would be the biggest want.

Would I use the time capsule just for backups? - is that all they are really good for?

4. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

TC is slow.
    a real NAS, even those cheap low end ones are much faster than Time Capsule. and they mostly come with some additional softwares which can be really help with your photo/video needs.

5. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

iPad can't utilize Time Capsule. Save your photos on external storage for security, then use iCloud Photo Library as a great way to view, edit, and share them. You'll need the 200GB iCloud plan.