iPad Pro iPad Pro turning off randomly at around 20% charge

Discussion in 'iPad' started by borgusio, Jan 25, 2017.

1. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

hello Guys,

My iPad Pro 9,7 works perfectly except for two things:
    - it becomes really hot when I use the pencil on apps such as good reader
    - since once month here and then it turns off with the battery being at around 20% of charge.

As soon as I attach it to the charger, the black screen with the red battery shows up and after a few minutes it turns back up with more than 20 % charge.

This is annoying and with the warranty going to expire soon... quite worrying as well.

I went at the Apple Store, they said that the iPad is pristine and they cannot do anything without AppleCare+ and also in that case they won't do anything because the iPad is ok. They resetted it and told me that I am good to go.

Well, hopefully it won't happen again, but since I resetted it already myself, I am not very optimistic.

What would you do?

2. RudySnow macrumors regular

RudySnow

I would ask for a supervisor or visit another store where you might have better luck. If that battery flaw from the iPhone 6s is showing up in your iPad, Apple has an obligation to swap it out. You paid too much to be satisfied with a faulty device.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Must be something wrong....Take action now Call for an appointment with Apple Genius before warranty expires.

4. digitalexplr macrumors regular

digitalexplr

Neither is normal. Get an appointment as previously suggested.

5. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Demonstrate the problem at the store. Show it powering on at 20%. That will make it obvious it's a battery defect and needs to be replaced.

6. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

Thanks for the advice. I was already at the Genius Bar and I spoke with a supervisor. They told me that it is not possible and resetted my iPad. Obviously it is difficult to reproduce the issue in front of them, since the battery of the iPad lasts quite long and it does not happen every time. So I should spend days in Store in order to reproduce the error.

@RudySnow: which battery flaw from iPhone 6s? A girl next to me with the same problem with an iPhone was told the same as me.

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

6s had a batch of bad batteries. Something about the handling of the materials that go into them.

Apple has a site where you can punch in your serial# and see if your phone is one of the ones affected. Mine is, randomly quits when battery is at lower charge levels (sometimes even 30-35%). I haven't found time to take it in for a battery swap yet.

8. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Yes I had this exact problem. I carefully drained it down to a level I knew was close to the sudden shutoff, turned off the phone, went for my appointment, turned it on and within 30 seconds it shut off right in front of the Genius - it was a very clear point of manufacturer's defect in the device's battery. No fuss, no muss, instant exchange out the door and I sold it on Swappa later for a good price.

@borgusio you should do the same as I did, or just wait until it powers off due to bad battery then go for your appointment. When you turn it on in the store with the "charging needed" graphic showing, show the genius it jumped right into 20%+, which is also similar evidence of a faulty battery (or just unplug it in front of the genius and demonstrate the same thing I did).

9. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I have seen this 20% shutdown behaviour very rarely (just a couple of times) on my iPhone 5s. It started recently but I couldn't tell you after which version of iOS. It might be a bug, or maybe my battery is knackered.