iPad Pro iPad Pro Visual Artists Photographers etc

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drewsdiner, Apr 4, 2016.

1. drewsdiner macrumors newbie

drewsdiner

Hey all,

I have been hoping to find a specific thread reading opinion from Visual Artists, Photographers, Graphic Designers and the likes who happen to own an iPad Pro 9.7, 12 or both even?

Myself having the usual dilemma particularly with the screen size as I am a visual artist who plays in many mediums I.e. Installations, drawings, photomontage, photography. The main thing about the pro for me is the drawings and photoshop work. At the moment I am leaning towards the 12" pro for my work because of more screen real estate but are there creatives who can pull off their work using the 9.7"?

There are many pros and cons like 12 will be amazing for work specifically and how does the general iPad usage experience fair? but the same time I like the smaller iPad the fact it's a more compact machine for work and general usage too but then the smaller screen could feel a lot cramp? Needing to zoom in more?

I did play with both iPad at Apple Store today but wish I could spend a week with one each...

Would love to hear from the experiences creatives as it could be valuable to me :)

2. sjleworthy, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

for me, also a visual artist, it's a complete no brainer. 12 inch all the way. i've used a regular ipad for the last 5 years most successfully, but the large Pro is a thing of joy and a beauty to behold.

i have found it isn't much use for image creation for me personally, on a professional bases at least, but the portability and client wow factor alone using it as a portfolio and gallery screen when meeting clients out and about is second to none. really really amazing.

pros and cons are a most personal thing. how do you use tech? what is your workflow? what exactly is your preference in content creation?

for me personally i'm a staunt pc/windows man. laptops and ipads are a bit of eye candy. impossible to help in my daily image creation grind. but wonderful things for admin and client presentations.

3. Loveandterror macrumors 6502

Loveandterror

Are there any good photo editing apps for the iPad Pro???

4. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

You could use Photoshop Fix, Procreate (for certain comping and painting on top) and Pixelmator.

But right now none can really take over the desktop equivalents even though the horse power is available.

5. drewsdiner thread starter macrumors newbie

drewsdiner

Thank you for your input here. I feel the same here it's a no brainer to get hold of a 12 inch screen as I know will be perfect for my work as I would be working a lot on it, a good upgrade from my Wacom bamboo tablet. My only standstill is the fact I will be forking A LOT out on the 128gb 12" along with a pencil.

I also want to be very comfortable using it as a daily consuming device for social media, browsing, communication on days I am not working so it doesn't just sits on the desk gathering dust.

I think it should be GRAND and need to stop worrying really as it will do the job all round. Still much lighter than my MacBook Pro.

Was hoping to hear from more creatives regarding what they have and their inputs. One artist on Twitter makes brilliant work using his 9.7 iPads alone but did mention more screen real estate won't hurt.

6. dmcnickle, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

dmcnickle macrumors member

I use my 12.9" iPad Pro for all of my photo artistic composition work. I use a combination of apps to accomplish what I want and have not used my laptop for a long time. You have to learn to be flexible and willing to use more than one app to get the effects that you want.

I use several different apps to prep my photos. Leonardo is my go to app for assembling my compositions. It allows me to use and rearrange many different layers. There are times I use 10+ different versions of my photo, created to different apps, to get a very unique look.

The Apple Pencil is wonderful. It is great to be able to edit directly on the photo instead of a Wacom looking at the screen. I also use a Sensu brush stylus when I want to do lighter type masking or brush strokes.

The size is not a factor in the iPP portability. I love being able to go to a local coffee shop, put on my headphones and create for hours.

One thing on charging - last night I was working on some compositions. My battery drained to less than 10%. I plugged it in and continued to work. Contrary to what some have been saying, my iPP did charge as I was using it. By the time I finished, my battery level was up to 38%. I was using 3 different apps and doing some heavy artistic work. I was using the charger that came with my iPP. I have never had any issues with the battery life or charging.

7. stevemiller macrumors 65816

I got the 9.7 for art leisure. I don't doubt that the 12.9 is a better workspace. But my real workhorse is my 15" mbp for 3D, motion graphics, compositing. Seeing as the iPad isn't replacing that tool anytime soon I opted for the less expensive, and more portable option as a supplementary tool.

I will say that even on the 9.7, the digital painting experience is so much more engaging and rewarding than the Wacom intuos that I never fully embraced.