iPad Pro vs. 12" Retina MacBook Owners Shootout

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jazz1, Nov 12, 2015.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

i don't know if anyone out there owns both? I do, but I'm trying to figure out which one I will keep. Having no iPP Apple keyboard available makes it hard to compare fairly.

2. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I own both. I feel both devices are about equal in performance when doing the "same" tasks.. like web browsing, using Apple Music/itunes, etc.. The Macbook12 however is just more capable for when you need to do any real production tasks.. I am planning on selling the 12 off though and getting a Macbook Pro 15 (whenever they decide to do a Skylake build) because I want a dGPU for some gaming mostly and I miss having a quad core. That way I feel a bigger seperation in performance/usage when on a MBP15 vs a iPad Pro.

3. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

I have both, I have the mid tier retina MacBook and the 32 GB iPad Pro. I'm dissapointed that the iPad has better processor (according to benchmarks). But i'm amazed at how immersive the iPad is! At this point i'm up in the air on whether to keep the iPad Pro or not. But, I do know that if I keep the iPad Pro, I will return it and get the 128 GB version.

4. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

I have both. They do different things.

I'm certainly hoping that I can use the Pro as a notepad. But, of course, since the Pencil is unobtanium, I can't answer that one yet.

5. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I've got both. The Macbook is my work machine for programming or heavy math (when I need to use Mathematica). The Pro is bigger than I expected, but like most folks I'm holding off on judging it until I get my hands on a Pencil.

I already know that I won't use the Pro in the same way that I use my old Mini (which I will sell if I keep the Pro). It's just a matter of whether the new things that the Pro will let me do are more valuable to me than what the Mini provides! Right now I'm on the fence about that.

With that said, I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting an Air 3, whenever it comes out, if it has Pencil support.

6. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

I too find the iPP immersive. Movies are great, and Flipboard is like reading A full size, large, paper magazine. Obviously I'm heavy content consumption. My production of content is limited to emails, spreadsheets, PowerPoint/Keynote and some light weight photo manipulation. Oh and of course music. The large screen showing my albums in iTunes was impressive.

The large screen works great for split screen mode, or mini movie window mode.

Too big for in bed Kindle book reading though. Sheesh, am I going to buy an actual Kindle if I hand down my iPad Air 2 to my kid?

Mostly using it in landscape mode on desk or on lap. But again in bed not so much. But then again I wouldn't use a laptop in bed. I'm better served by my iPad Air 2 or even an actual Kindle device.

I would say the a yet unreleased Sena case might make this somewhat bed worthy. The Apple cover wedge mode is too narrow for in bed use.

http://www.senacases.com/product/vettra-ipad-pro/

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I have the 12" MacBook and just placed an order for the iPad Pro that I should get late next week. Given that in some respects the MacBook is more portable, it will be interesting to see whether I decide to keep the iPad Pro. Because of the PPI and resolution I totally get why the iPad Pro is 12.9" but do like the size and weight distribution of the MacBook. I'll get the Pencil but do not plan to get the keyboard. That way, the two devices will be distinct, IMO.

8. Macalway macrumors 68020

Yeah, me included. I like the iPad more. It's really something. I thought the MB12 was it, until this thing.
    But that's just cool factor. Probably wear off in a .....few hours :D