Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
12.9" M2 iPad Pro, 256GB Storage, 8 GB RAM, Magic Keyboard, $1,548

15" M2 Macbook Air, 256GB Storage, 8 GB RAM, $1,299

I understand the iPad Pro has a better screen, speakers and camera, but still, the value proposition is extremely strange here

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
The 15" MacBook is only like .3lbs heavier as well, which just goes to show the inherent weight inefficiency of the whole Magic Keyboard needing a bunch of dead weight to properly support the iPad situation.

Reactions: Ghost31

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
We've seen this argument since day one.

2015 iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 128GB storage, Smart Keyboard = $949 + $169
2015 MacBook Air 13-inch, 128GB storage = $999

Apple's answer comes down to Pencil, Multi-Touch, cellular option, and portability.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
You cant pull the screen off the MacBook Air though

Very true. I don't necessarily feel the need to pull the screen off a MacBook, but I would definitely like the hinge to go all the way back so I could fold it all the way around or at least fold the keyboard behind the screen. For those times you want to use it in 'tablet mode' on the train when you didn't get a seat, or you just want it to fit on an airplane tray table without someone putting their seat back and crushing your screen.

For a fair chunk of people, a Mac with a touchscreen that could do this would truly replace their iPad.

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
Very true. I don't necessarily feel the need to pull the screen off a MacBook, but I would definitely like the hinge to go all the way back so I could fold it all the way around or at least fold the keyboard behind the screen. For those times you want to use it in 'tablet mode' on the train when you didn't get a seat, or you just want it to fit on an airplane tray table without someone putting their seat back and crushing your screen.

For a fair chunk of people, a Mac with a touchscreen that could do this would truly replace their iPad.
Some people have desktops too like me, 24" iMac, so have never really seen the point in another Mac, iPad and MGK that I can take the iPad off and use as a tablet works for me, although I have the 11" now but did have the 12.9" M1 when it first come out for a year.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

I understand the iPad Pro has a better screen, speakers and camera, but still, the value proposition is extremely strange here
I wouldn't assume that the iPad has better speakers than the 15", it beats the 13", but the new 15" is quite an improvement in speakers, so I wouldn't be surprised it's better than the iPad.

Having said that the "value proposition" of 2 devices with 2 very different OSs is very hard to compare.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

Why are you comparing the MBA to the iPad Pro? You should compare it to the iPad Air.

As you said, the iPad Pro has far superior hardware over the MBA. That is why it is a more expensive machine.

The MBA is low-end cheap stuff. Even the displays suffer from uniform and backlight issues that the older Intel MacBook Pro didn’t have (Apple managed to have excellent IPS displays on the Intel MBP line before switching to mini-LED).

Last edited:

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Why does it have to be one or the other? Do you have no computer at all and now you're deciding between a Mac and an iPad? That isn't how most customers approach this choice, if they are looking into getting an iPad then they'll likely already have a computer and either wanted specifically a tablet (for example for the pencil support), or just something that is extremely lightweight.

I already have mouse, keyboard, external monitor and so on at the office and many locations I regularly go to. That means I can just bring the iPad along in a small handbag (I don't have the bigger 12"), don't even need a backpack and of course no accessoires either. The naked iPad is a third of the weight of my Macbook, so the difference is definitely there.

As others have said, you can't take the keyboard off the Macbook.

The iPad isn't meant to be a standalone device either and actually needs a Mac for syncing files without iCloud (which has limitations, and I don't just mean space). I bet few iPad users use their iPads exclusively and don't have a computer. Otherwise you'll easily into some hard iPadOS limitations or into design limits like the single USB port. I have an iPhone I want to sync locally, that isn't possible with the iPad either.

The iPad Pro really doesn't make much sense financially in your comparison, and to me it's always a companion device that is nice to have but aside from the touchscreen or the 5g modem it doesn't really have anything that makes it a must-have. So yeah, by your metrics the Macbook is the better choice. But then most iPad users don't really need an iPad, it's just a handy accessoire. And as such it's absolutely worth the money to me. In terms of value when looking at the price tag the Macbook would be overall the better choice, but then why would I need another one?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Why does it have to be one or the other? Do you have no computer at all and now you're deciding between a Mac and an iPad? That isn't how most customers approach this choice, if they are looking into getting an iPad then they'll likely already have a computer and either wanted specifically a tablet (for example for the pencil support), or just something that is extremely lightweight.

Agreed. I don’t buy tablets because I want to use them as laptops. I buy them because I have use cases where the tablet form factor is better (reading ebooks, comics and magazines, annotating PDFs, etc).

If I wanted a laptop, I’d buy a laptop.

Mind, I don’t have a Magic Keyboard as it doesn’t fit my usage.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
iPad is more versatile for me - take it on and off the keyboard all the time and enjoy using it lying down on the couch and in bed. The MacBooks are less flexible that way. And I use the pencil quite a lot.

screen is also brighter and Mini-LED.

Also I just enjoy using iPadOS and the touch screen more than MacOS. I know many of you will find that weird but I just do.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Completely different devices. I don’t know why these types of threads have to go in loops every few weeks. Buy what you want and compare its value to that.

If you want to see ridiculous pricing, try comparing the new Mac Pro to its equivalent Mac Studio. That’s something to complain about.

Not an iPad plus expensive and unnecessary apple extras compared to a random apple laptop.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
M2 Mac Mini, 256GB Storage, 8GB RAM, $599

The MacBook Air has poor value proposition.

Funny thing is, even a 64 GB iPad Air has a faster SSD than the 256 GB M2 MBA too.

Literally everything about the iPad Pro is better than the M2 MBA and he is wondering why the iPad Pro is more expensive.

The MBA is an entry level machine while the iPad Pro is a premium device with premium hardware.

Reactions: Student of Life

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago

A more apples to cucumbers comparison would be;

12.9" M2 iPad Pro, 256gb Storage, 8gb ram (no Magic Keyboard), $1,199

13.6" M2 MacBook Air, 256gb storage, 8bg ram, $1,099

Now at least the screen size is more comparable and the iPad doesn't need the overpriced magic keyboard it has a virtual on screen one built in the software.

Now like others have said getting to an apples to oranges comparison would be;

10.9" M1 iPad Air, 256gb Storage, 8gb ram (no Magic Keyboard), Apple Pencil, $869

13.3" M1 MacBook Air, 256gb storage, 8bg ram, $999

The beauty of all of these products is that we have so many options to find the one that fits us the best. And if value is you top priority then a Mac mini with third party peripherals is the best option. If the largest portable screen size is your priority then the 15 MBA. See where this goes, its not a one that is best or the one that has the best perceived "value", its what fits what you need.

and really the best value that gets you the best of all worlds is;

13.3" M1 MacBook Air, 256gb storage, 8bg ram, $799 from microcenter
and
8.3" iPad mini, 64gb Storage, 4gb ram $349 from apple with the $150 gift card deal.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
You can’t remove the MacBook Air’s keyboard without voiding its warranty.

A fair point, but I think it's also fair to point out how much more weight you have to cart around for the screen size when you're talking about an iPad and Magic Keyboard combination.

That's why I'm still very interested in the idea of a 12" MacBook (or 12.5" with today's bezel size), because you can have a laptop with a 12.5" screen at 2lbs, compared to the 11" iPad Pro and MK at 2.4lbs and 12.9" iPad Pro and MK at 3lbs.

It opens up some interesting comparisons when you look at the weight.

Reactions: Digitalguy

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
A fair point, but I think it's also fair to point out how much more weight you have to cart around for the screen size when you're talking about an iPad and Magic Keyboard combination.

That's why I'm still very interested in the idea of a 12" MacBook (or 12.5" with today's bezel size), because you can have a laptop with a 12.5" screen at 2lbs, compared to the 11" iPad Pro and MK at 2.4lbs and 12.9" iPad Pro and MK at 3lbs.

A pound on my backpack more or less doesn’t bother me the slightest, and I wonder how many others would care about that in real life outside of the forum spec sheet comparisons.

Reactions: Ghost31 and Ludatyk

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
A pound on my backpack more or less doesn’t bother me the slightest, and I wonder how many others would care about that in real life outside of the forum spec sheet comparisons.

Probably because you wear a backpack, and maybe because your back doesn't hurt. If you use a messenger bag, it all adds up. It depends what else you carry as well. Add enough pounds because an extra pound doesn't bother you, and eventually your bag is too heavy.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Probably because you wear a backpack, and maybe because your back doesn't hurt. If you use a messenger bag, it all adds up. It depends what else you carry as well. Add enough pounds because an extra pound doesn't bother you, and eventually your bag is too heavy.
I tend to agree, if I carry a backpack with other stuff for a long time, half a kilo difference does make a big difference on how much uncofortable it becomes after a while, and then if I am not sure whether I will need the laptop or not, I won't be taking it, while if it's light enough I'll take it more often, even if I might not need it.

Reactions: rui no onna

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

If you are interested in the 12" MacBook then you should be comparing the weight and cost of the 11" iPad Air, not the 13" iPad Pro. The MagicKeyboard is the heaviest iPad keyboard which is why everyone likes to mention it when trying to convince pople to buy a MacBook Air instead, but not only is the Smart Keyboard lighter but both are removable which is not possible on a MacBook.
If your back hurts, don't use a messenger bag.

Reactions: ericwn

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
If you are interested in the 12" MacBook then you should be comparing the weight and cost of the 11" iPad Air, not the 13" iPad Pro. The MagicKeyboard is the heaviest iPad keyboard which is why everyone likes to mention it when trying to convince pople to buy a MacBook Air instead, but not only is the Smart Keyboard lighter but both are removable which is not possible on a MacBook.

I have the 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard, and at 2.4lbs it's heavier than the 12" MacBook that came out in 2015. There is an inherent weight to screen size cost to the iPad/Magic Keyboard, period. I don't think people realise it because Apple no longer sells an ultra portable laptop. But I wish they would.

If your back hurts, don't use a messenger bag.

Nah. But as I said, even if you don't personally notice 1 pound, add enough 1 pounds and eventually your bag will be too heavy. The weight of a device may not matter to you, but it matters to many.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Traveling overseas, I usually have a lot of other stuff on my backpack so every lb/kg counts. Some airlines also have a weight limit for carry on luggage (e.g. 7kg/15lbs for Philippine Airlines) and a padded laptop backpack by itself already weighs ~7lbs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.