iPad Pro iPad Pro vs 2013 rMBP 13...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by infernoguy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

Hello All,

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I have (as my signature says) a 2013 rMBP w/ 4 GB RAM and 128GB Storage. I'm really looking at selling it and getting a iPad Pro but I can't talk myself into it. I was hoping iPad Pro users on this forum could help me out.

I use my rMPB as more of a casual device (Youtube, web browsing, Facebook, etc.) because of the relatively low RAM for a rMBP. When the iPad Pro came out I figured I wouldn't need one since the specs are arguably similar (battery life, screen size, retina display, built in keyboard, etc.).

Should I stay with the rMBP and use it like a iPP or sell it and get the real deal iPP? I do have a 2009 MBP 15 I purchased for $150 that needed some TLC which if necessary can be my Mac if I need one.

Thanks for reading!!!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you want/need more portability than the rMBP?

3. infernoguy thread starter macrumors regular

infernoguy

It's a wash honestly. The rMBP seems about the same size/weight as the iPP.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Either way you can't lose. Get the iPP and rock it out for a bit of time. If it turns out it doesn't suit your needs then sell it and buy what you think will work. You'll never know until you try.

5. infernoguy thread starter macrumors regular

infernoguy

Good point. It's hard to see past the iPP as just a ginormous iPad Air 2 but after reading articles like this:

https://brooksreview.net/2016/01/ios/

I'm intrigued by the thought of using iOS full time on a device like that. I feel as if we are on the cusp of something else computing wise and I'm fighting my dinosaur (keyboard/mouse/trackpad) urges....

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What? No way. You are talking about the retina MacBook PRO right? Not the retina MacBook. The iPP is a lot lighter than the MBP.

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

While the 2013 MacBook Pro holds up well, it's showing it's age as far as overall speed.

If all you do is "Youtube, web browsing, Facebook, etc.", the IPP is a good choice. My only other recommendation is to go ahead and get the smart keypad along with it. You will have a faster device, a bit smaller and more portable than the MacBook Pro.

8. infernoguy thread starter macrumors regular

infernoguy

I guess my issue is the touch screen. I love the improvements in iOS 9 with multitasking on my iPad mini 4 but is it just as functional with an iPad Pro? Even before ElCap on the Mac, it relatively easy to resize windows when you need to.

9. JD2015 macrumors 6502

As it is just for web browsing, YouTube, browsing, reading, I wouldn't recommend IPP. I would recommend either IPad Air 2 ( wait for iPad Air 3) or IPad mini 4.

10. infernoguy thread starter macrumors regular

infernoguy

This is where I'm leaning towards. I have the mini 4 and it's great, especially with iOS 9 but the iPP is just too darn intriguing lol.

11. evrard macrumors regular

evrard

If you're using Microsoft Office, while it's a very good program on the iPP, I find myself doing much of the work on my MBP. Certain features such as pivot tables are not on the iOS version.

12. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Can you afford the iPP without selling the mbp? If so get the iPP and check it out for two weeks. See if it works for you.. If so sell the mbp, if not return it.