iPad Pro vs iPad (2018) if I have a laptop & desktop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NickPhamUK, Dec 6, 2018.

?

Which is better?

1. iPad Pro 11" 64GB - $799

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. iPad Pro 10.5" 64GB - $649

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. iPad (2018) 128GB - $429

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

I have a PC gaming desktop at home and a work laptop which I tend to leave in the office.

So I need a portable device to use on the road, on my bed, when traveling, or in the office (since I can't install personal apps on the work laptop). At home I tend to use the desktop anyways.

My needs are very basic, no video/photo editing, no word/excel/ppt editing, not even taking pictures/videos etc. Probably just reading eBooks, playing games, browsing the Internet etc.

I'm also studying for the CFA program so I'm contemplating to take notes on the iPad using the Apple pencil, and annotate on PDF files.

My heart says just get the iPad Pro and be done with it, but my head says I'm not going to make use of all the extra specs so paying double the price will be a waste (plus the bend gate issue).

Please help this poor guy :(

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I would say the basic iPad is best for your needs. The pro is an overkill.

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

4. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Currently my 2010 MBP is aging, so I’m supplementing it with a 2018 iPad.

My only gripe is the iPad only comes with 128GB max...

5. blufire95 macrumors member

Of course the 9.7 iPad is enough.
    But the 11“ Pro is better in any way (besides the headphone jack and the same battery life), I think it's worth it, if you use it a lot.
    It will also get at least 2 more iOS updates in the future and you'll get more money if you sell it someday.

6. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

you should check them both irl.. the basic iPad screen has a noticeable gap between the screen and the glass. if it's not bothering you, then get it. The gap is even more noticeable when making notes. After using for years air2 and pro, I don't like the iPad (basic) screen at all - it feels and looks hollow.

7. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

Seems like the regular iPad is a no brainer for your needs but if you have the money to burn, the pros are obviously nicer.