Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kard32

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2020
For me there’s no better example of the new Apple vs the old Apple than looking at these two product lines.

Look how drastically the iPod nano changed in just 7 years — massive shifts from year to year: https://apple.fandom.com/wiki/IPod_nano

Compare it to how the iPad Pro has changed in 7 years: https://apple.fandom.com/wiki/IPad_Pro

As an Apple user who started with the iBook G4 (and even owned the original iPad!), I must admit it used to be very exciting to see what kind of new design Apple would bring out next.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The iPad is essentially just a screen. Sure you can redesign the sides and buttons and the back a bit but why would you if you cannot make an improvement. The key changes to iPad are the screen technologies evolving.

kard32

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2020
Not quite true. There’s a number of things they can do even if it’s just a screen. (Change the dimensions, add shortcut buttons, change the cameras, reduce the border around the screen, make it foldable lol, etc).

Also the iPod nano was essentially a screen with a scroll wheel but they changed its dimensions and form factor quite drastically from year to year.

Reactions: klasma

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
There isn't a scenario where Apple could make a significant design change and not piss people off. Or leave it the same and piss people off. Basically there's no right or wrong answer. ericwn is right in that the iPod had to be really good at one or two things, and other than that the form factor didn't matter very much.

Reactions: heretiq

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Not quite true. There’s a number of things they can do even if it’s just a screen. (Change the dimensions, add shortcut buttons, change the cameras, reduce the border around the screen, make it foldable lol, etc).

Also the iPod nano was essentially a screen with a scroll wheel but they changed its dimensions and form factor quite drastically from year to year.

Apple has changed the dimensions and is occasionally changing cameras too. That will however only result in minimal changes. The iPod evolves around the scroll wheel and is not intended as a video consumption device like iPad. Shortcut buttons - how often do you need to add them? It’s a non issue for me. iPads will fold when Apple has the tech they need in a price range that works for them I guess.

kard32

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2020
I mean I’m not about to guess what kind of novel designs they can innovate on a tablet, I’m not the one running a trillion dollar company lol.

Just pointing out as a long-time consumer what the difference has been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.