Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
I just finished up my graduate degree (MBA) using both my iPad Pro(s) (10.5 to 11 inch) and MacBooks (13” Pro to 2018 MacBook Air) and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t go full on with just the iPad Pro for several reasons.

• School requires me to write my papers in APA format in Microsoft Word. Fine. However, any adjusting and formatting down to simple indents. It was intuitive to use my finger, but just uncomfortable.
  • Excel is just a chore to use if you’re creating large models and formulas. I just don’t like using the iPad for any spreadsheet work unless it’s very light stuff.
  • PowerPoint is also not as intuitive because a lot of the options and menus are missing from the desktop versions.

I’m going to sum up that if you use Microsoft Office for school, a lot of the desktop features that we have grown accustomed to from either school or at a professional level, is nerfed in iOS.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I just finished up my graduate degree (MBA) using both my iPad Pro(s) (10.5 to 11 inch) and MacBooks (13” Pro to 2018 MacBook Air) and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t go full on with just the iPad Pro for several reasons.

• School requires me to write my papers in APA format in Microsoft Word. Fine. However, any adjusting and formatting down to simple indents. It was intuitive to use my finger, but just uncomfortable.
  • Excel is just a chore to use if you’re creating large models and formulas. I just don’t like using the iPad for any spreadsheet work unless it’s very light stuff.
  • PowerPoint is also not as intuitive because a lot of the options and menus are missing from the desktop versions.

I’m going to sum up that if you use Microsoft Office for school, a lot of the desktop features that we have grown accustomed to from either school or at a professional level, is nerfed in iOS.
Thanks for the input. Thankfully I’ll have my mini as my main machine (say that 5 times fast) it will be running Windows 10 through parallels. The iPad Pro will be more note taking and anything I may need to adjust or do in office on the fly, I’m not looking to do pure creation on it in office. I will also be using it to access Canvas and my textbooks as well.

Reactions: flur and muzzy996

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Thanks for the input. Thankfully I’ll have my mini as my main machine (say that 5 times fast) it will be running Windows 10 through parallels. The iPad Pro will be more note taking and anything I may need to adjust or do in office on the fly, I’m not looking to do pure creation on it in office. I will also be using it to access Canvas and my textbooks as well.
Canvas is easier on iOS with their app then it is on macOS. Just my 0.02, ymmv as always.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Interesting. Anything specific you could cite as to why?
Well to start with, the login via a website is annoying with not good password auto fill. And needs to be done almost every time. The app always remembers you.
Then the app gives me a lot better overview/scaling and works way faster then the website, load times are variable but sometimes really slow.
Because the app shows the information better you tend to miss less deadlines/information.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Well to start with, the login via a website is annoying with not good password auto fill. And needs to be done almost every time. The app always remembers you.
Then the app gives me a lot better overview/scaling and works way faster then the website, load times are variable but sometimes really slow.
Because the app shows the information better you tend to miss less deadlines/information.

All great info. Thanks again for the feedback.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I wanted to give an update on how my iPad Pro setup has been working. I found out, even though the website says differently, MyMathLab will work on it. This has been a huge plus for me. Being able to use the chapter video with PiP and notes at the same time has left me plenty of options for where and when I can work. It’s been great for when my daughter has dance and I can grab a cup of coffee across the street for an hour and study or do homework.

In short, this was the workflow I was hoping for and was pleased to actually find worked. I’ve been able keep everything organized and even my notes themselves are better with different pen options.

This will be even better once the school goes to Cengage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.